The Walking Dead (TV series)

Finally watched the first episode - wow. Morgan trying to shoot his wife...

Really, I wish I could see how it's as terrible as you claim it is. Sure it's different from its source, but I'm glad it is.

Well, I never said the show was terrible but it's poor. The pilot is easily the best episode but the rest of them were very inconsistent.

If you're going to make changes to the source material, then the changes should be as good or better. Almost all of the changes to the story were bizarre or pointless and all of the new characters were silly and forgettable.

A lot of people seem to be praising this show just because it's the only above average live action TV show adaptation of a comic book. We shouldn't have to settle for this: I want something better. I hope that happens in the second season.

A lot of people seem to be praising this show just because it's the only above average live action TV show adaptation of a comic book. We shouldn't have to settle for this: I want something better. I hope that happens in the second season.

Yeah, it really might be the most over-rated show on TV given the reactions I usually hear about it. Other than a few elements, I don't think it's bad, it's just very average and generic compared to the wild originality and atmosphere of other, less (I hate to say this) "mainstream" zombie stuff.

I disagree about it being all downhill from the pilot, though. It has its ups and downs but I generally found it slightly better each episode, and probably even moreso on disc without the weeks of waiting for them to slowly do all the set-up cliches and get to something big and scary.

Edit: And for the record, I've never read an issue of the comic.

Last edited:
Well, I never said the show was terrible but it's poor. The pilot is easily the best episode but the rest of them were very inconsistent.

If you're going to make changes to the source material, then the changes should be as good or better. Almost all of the changes to the story were bizarre or pointless and all of the new characters were silly and forgettable.

Ah, I can see where you're coming from. I feel that way about the source material. It's a good comic, but by no means is it the great comic people make it out to be. In my opinion, the show's about on par with the comic. Enjoyable, but at the end of the day, just another joyless zombie story.

I didn't say I was? I was just adding that I just enjoy it like some who praise it.

But my point was a lot of fans (and a few critics but most of them seem to be disappointed in the show overall) are praising it seemingly because it's the only decent live-action comic book adaptation on TV in years. It just seems like a lot of people are settling for this because it's the only thing there is.

Even though I thought most of it was bad I still enjoyed watching it. I just hope the second season is a lot better. The comic didn't get really good until they got to the prison.

Last edited:
Almost all of the changes to the story were bizarre or pointless and all of the new characters were silly and forgettable

This is kind of what I'm afraid of. But we've watched the first two episodes - I thought #2 was just as good as the pilot.

Ah, I can see where you're coming from. I feel that way about the source material. It's a good comic, but by no means is it the great comic people make it out to be. In my opinion, the show's about on par with the comic. Enjoyable, but at the end of the day, just another joyless zombie story.

This is kind of surprising to me - I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticize the comic for being just another zombie story. It's more than that - the cover of the first hardcover edition calls it "survival horror" and I like that. Of course zombies play a huge part about it but it's almost like it's not really about zombies. It's about the trials and tribulations of surviving an event like this, and I think the comic handles this perfectly.

This is kind of what I'm afraid of. But we've watched the first two episodes - I thought #2 was just as good as the pilot.

This is kind of surprising to me - I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticize the comic for being just another zombie story. It's more than that - the cover of the first hardcover edition calls it "survival horror" and I like that. Of course zombies play a huge part about it but it's almost like it's not really about zombies. It's about the trials and tribulations of surviving an event like this, and I think the comic handles this perfectly.

The problem is, it (the comic or the show) has done little to change the status quo. Personal human drama has been the part and parcel of better zombie movies (especially in Romero's older works). All Kirkman did was added a soap opera level of melodrama. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just pointing out to Proj that the comic is no more a work of high art than the show. They're both pretty common.

The problem is, it (the comic or the show) has done little to change the status quo. Personal human drama has been the part and parcel of better zombie movies (especially in Romero's older works). All Kirkman did was added a soap opera level of melodrama. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just pointing out to Proj that the comic is no more a work of high art than the show. They're both pretty common.

Fair enough. I'm not a zombie stories kind of guy and don't care a thing for the genre, comics or movies or otherwise, so it's not as glaring to me. The only other zombie anything I ever cared to check out was Zombieland, and only because Emma Stone and the surprise cameo were in it.

Latest posts

Back