The Walking Dead (TV series)

Definitely.

I think my favorite part was when the one guy went back to that Zombie with no legs and put its out of its misery, and the black guy couldn't shoot his wife.

It was generally pretty good. Certainly loads of promise. I look forward to more. They also have the usual cliché-storm of "intro to a zombiepocalypse" to deal with and will be able to grow outside of that pretty soon. The direct lift of 28 Days Later's famous sequence was almost embarrassing, except for the hands coming between the doors which was very chilling and effective.

I actually think the guy playing Rick is really good. We haven't seen anything really serious from him yet, but he has a compelling quality and they almost certainly would've auditioned him using heavier scenes from down the line. I also thought the climax
was very suspenseful to the point where I actually thought he was going to die.

Also, can we set official rules for the thread about spoilers soon? Preferably about the comic series, which some of us haven't read. Anything that hasn't appeared on the show yet should be tagged, says I.

PM, the comic book started the same way. He gets caught in a fire fight and wakes up in a hospital and finds the dead are alive. Which doesn't mean it was a ripoff of 28 Days Later, the comic book did start a year after the movie. So who knows.

I liked it. Didn't really feel some of the character moments. The guy who plays Rick's best friend, he comes off as kind of a pr*ck if you ask me. I don't really buy him. Other than that the zombie scenes were great.

PM, the comic book started the same way. He gets caught in a fire fight and wakes up in a hospital and finds the dead are alive. Which doesn't mean it was a ripoff of 28 Days Later, the comic book did start a year after the movie. So who knows.

Kirkman didn't see 28 DAYS LATER until after he wrote the first issue and was plotting out the second issue.

I wasn't sure if the comic did the same thing, but it would've seemed like a huge ripoff either way, except for....

Kirkman didn't see 28 DAYS LATER until after he wrote the first issue and was plotting out the second issue.

.... so yeah. It always sucks when something like that happens.

I hate the fact AMC doesn't have the episode available to watch on their website.

Seriously. They're trying to get people hooked on the series but only aired the pilot on a night when most of their target audience is typically out? They didn't even re-air it last night.

The pilot of every single series out there should always be on their website. I never got into Curb Your Enthusiasm because every online version of the pilot had been taken down when I happened to look. Scrubs, on the other hand, my family owns every season of on DVD having gotten into it by watching the first chunk of episodes online.

Seriously. They're trying to get people hooked on the series but only aired the pilot on a night when most of their target audience is typically out? They didn't even re-air it last night.

And yet it got better ratings than anything on NBC, aside from The Office and Football... heh.

But yeah, putting up the first ep is always a good idea.

It's on iTunes, though. And the 1 hour, 7 minute pilot is totally worth $1.99.

Seconded.

Last edited:

There are also quite a few places to get it free just as easily, so yeah.:p

And yet it got better ratings than anything on NBC, aside from The Office and Football... heh.

Also true, which was surprising, but I still think other airings would've strengthened the ratings. I was glad to hear it got such a strong foothold.

Also, can we set official rules for the thread about spoilers soon? Preferably about the comic series, which some of us haven't read. Anything that hasn't appeared on the show yet should be tagged, says I.

I can live with that

I liked it. Didn't really feel some of the character moments. The guy who plays Rick's best friend, he comes off as kind of a pr*ck if you ask me. I don't really buy him. Other than that the zombie scenes were great.

he is supposed a prick, to put it lightly.

Yes, because we shouldn't be financially supporting the good shows.

I will watch the rest of this show legally whenever I can, like every other show I watch, but in general it's the viewers that are doing a show a favour by taking the time to watch the pilot and get invested. I shouldn't have to pay to do that when it's on TV for free because I decided to go out on Hallowe'en night. Have it on the official site with ad breaks, re-air it the next night, et cetera.

Last edited:
I will watch the rest of this show legally whenever I can, like every other show I watch, but in general it's the viewers that are doing a show a favour by taking the time to watch the pilot and get invested. I shouldn't have to pay to do that when it's on TV for free because I decided to go out on Hallowe'en night. Have it on the official site with ad breaks, re-air it the next night, et cetera.

*templerubs* it's NOT on TV for free. I'm sooo tired of that excuse, and the whole "They should be grateful we're stealing it!" BS. Shows live and die on advertising and subscriber (and now a days even digital distribution), an advertiser is not going to pay for commercial spots on a show no one's watching, case in point, the recent cancellation of Caprica. Season 1.0 of Caprica did well on DVD, but not nearly what the show would have made from advertisers, had people actually watched it on the air.

*templerubs* it's NOT on TV for free. I'm sooo tired of that excuse, and the whole "They should be grateful we're stealing it!" BS. Shows live and die on advertising and subscriber (and now a days even digital distribution), an advertiser is not going to pay for commercial spots on a show no one's watching, case in point, the recent cancellation of Caprica. Season 1.0 of Caprica did well on DVD, but not nearly what the show would have made from advertisers, had people actually watched it on the air.

I didn't say it's on TV for free, I said we're watching it on TV for free. The only thing we contribute is our attention to the ads, which I've repeatedly said I'd be happy to watch just as many of online too if it meant getting an easy, official version on the AMC website. In fact, they'd actually know I was watching them too if they did that, unlike when I watch anything on TV.

Anyway, you make sense for the rest of the series, but not the pilot. They'd make more from loads of people watching it on their site with ads than they would from people watching it nowhere because they missed it on Hallowe'en and don't use iTunes, and then not bothering to watch the remainder of the series as a result.

And finally, I've said in each of my posts they should just re-air the pilot other nights this week, solving the problem on both sides, like lots of new series do. But they won't even do that.

I don't like the guy playing Rick (Ian Anderson's son-in-law, for all you music buffs), especially when he had that ridiculous beard. But hopefully, as has been mentioned, when the really intense character stuff starts he'll come through. Right now he's kind of in a daze.

This could be a great show. It's certainly based on great source material.

The pilot of every single series out there should always be on their website. I never got into Curb Your Enthusiasm because every online version of the pilot had been taken down when I happened to look. Scrubs, on the other hand, my family owns every season of on DVD having gotten into it by watching the first chunk of episodes online.

Exactly. It makes no ****ing sense to me whatsoever to include a bunch of previews and behind the scenes videos at the expense of the actual episodes themselves. Maybe someone should let AMC know about the effectiveness of online advertising (before web hosted episodes)?

Yup. Just downloaded it to my iPod Touch and will be watching it tonight.

Latest posts

Back