The Walking Dead (TV series)

Watched this last night on iTunes. Awesome.

Seriously.

Granted, it followed a lot of the same cliched zombie tropes that many other horror (specifically zombie) films have been falling into for the past 40 years, but it had a lot more to it as well.

The last ten minutes or so, with Rick trying to escape the hordes of zombies in Atlanta, his horse being eaten, him crawling under the tank to escape the zombies...the tension was really well done. And then the voice over the radio (obviously the Asian guy from the comics whose name I forget) calling out to Rick just as the episode ends, with that amazing slow birds eye view pan out shot of the zombies crawling over the tank and dead horse like ants on an anthill.

Good stuff.

Eagerly awaiting to see what this series has in store.

I thought the ending would be more powerful if it just stopped with the voice on the radio instead of the cliche ending with the song.

Nah, I loved the show. I just that was an effective ending, and then they just kept going. Every show ends with a song these days!

I know what you mean. I love that type of scene, and it's often one of the most effective in an entire series or movie, but it's becoming such a cliche these days that it's hard to take seriously sometimes.

Nah, I loved the show. I just that was an effective ending, and then they just kept going. Every show ends with a song these days!

Thats because its a very easy way of evoking emotional resonance. If that makes it a cliche, so be it. On a side note, what aspect of the show was so completely original and not dripping with the "been there, done that" tone of being a cliche (or not, in this case)?

I only ask because we're pretty much at a point in our culture where very little isn't a cliche anymore. That isn't to say people should dumb themselves down or whatever, just that perhaps we shouldn't all take ourselves as professional movie and television critics.

I know what you mean. I love that type of scene, and it's often one of the most effective in an entire series or movie, but it's becoming such a cliche these days that it's hard to take seriously sometimes.

I think a lot of it has to do with people not being able to watch a work and accept it without having to dissect every little bit, overanalyzing the so-called cliches, etc. The ironic part is that type of behavior has become cliched in itself, another effect of the internet culture we live in: we're all so desperate to sound smart.

Personally, I think the ending worked well. Granted, I'm limited in my zombie-media exposure and apparently have something wrong with the part of my brain which recognizes cliches.

;)

I think a lot of it has to do with people not being able to watch a work and accept it without having to dissect every little bit, overanalyzing the so-called cliches, etc. The ironic part is that type of behavior has become cliched in itself, another effect of the internet culture we live in: we're all so desperate to sound smart.

I just thought of another cliché: pop-psychoanalyzing people to try and wave off opinions that don't match one's own.

:wink:

I know what you mean, I just don't think it applies here. The scene was a big honking done-to-deather. What you're saying would make sense if there was nothing or almost nothing that held up to the analysis of me or Joe or anyone affected by "internet culture", but there's a ****load. I want this show to be as good.

Last edited:
Yeah, the completely new characters were all pretty terrible, especially the ridiculous racist. I can't see many of them lasting very long.

I just thought of another cliché: pop-psychoanalyzing people to try and wave off opinions that don't match one's own.

Thats good. Touche.

I know what you mean, I just don't think it applies here. The scene was a big honking done-to-deather. What you're saying would make sense if there was nothing or almost nothing that held up to the analysis of me or Joe or anyone affected by "internet culture", but there's a ****load. I want this show to be as good.

Fair enough.

i watched the pilot tonight. Then I went to the open casket viewing for my friend's grandma.

I stayed away from the casket.

Yeah I know, and the prank would have gone off perfectly if you'd just had the balls to face the dead.

Captain steps up to view his friend's grandma... bomb, I launch her into his lap with some carefully placed airbags in the casket. (tiss) what a waste...

i watched the pilot tonight. Then I went to the open casket viewing for my friend's grandma.

That's how you know something is good - when it permeates your subconscious or affects your behavior.

When Metal Gear Solid came out I used to have dreams that I was killing people that were attacking my parents house, then I had to hide the bodies.

EDIT:

I replied to this yesterday while I was busy at work, so didn't get a chance to reply as I should have. I'm rectifying that now:

It has nothing to do with a difference of opinion. I'm happy to accept a different viewpoint. What I have a problem with is, as said, people complaining about cliches while helping to perpetuate a new one (the being, internet fanboy complaining). And noticing the blatant and obvious (in regards to most others, this isn't aimed at you or Joe) doesn't qualify as pop-psychoanalyzing, in my opinion, of course you're entitled to your own.

This isn't aimed at anyone on this board particularly, honestly every member here seems to be much more thought-provoking and sincere than most other boards. I guess I'm just worn out by it in general. Of course, much of that lack of patience probably has more to do with my job in customer service (which I hate) than people's complaints, but thats a whole other ball of spaghetti.

It isn't to say that their views aren't valid or intelligently thought out, because they often are. I guess I'm just tired of the *****ing, and the fact its basically the same thing being said by countless people. I know, I know, I should accept a certain amount on message boards, its to be expected.

Its just the fact that the vast majority of people take this attitude as if they're Coppolla himself. We're the audience, and our critiques matter, of course, I'm just tired of the "I know better than the guy who directed it" attitude, which is usually unjustified (unless you're watching a Uwe Boll movie--then its always justified).

We're all entitled to our opinion, I have no problem with someone expressing a different one than my own. I guess I'm just looking for a bit more variety than the ususal first or second year film student run-down.

It honestly probably didn't, as said I was aiming it at the generalized fanboy internet culture based on internet reviews or critiques by said fanboys, not at Joe, or you, or anyone on these boards.

Blame it on the Bioware boards. ;)

Also, I almost always post while at work, meaning my posts tend to come off as fractured, rushed, sometimes incoherent, etc. Its tough to focus your points and thoughts when making a post spread across several hours and dozens of customers.

I'm sorry about your friend's grandmother...other than that, thats hilarious.

Last edited:
That's how you know something is good - when it permeates your subconscious or affects your behavior.

When Metal Gear Solid came out I used to have dreams that I was killing people that were attacking my parents house, then I had to hide the bodies.

it's true. I watched it online in my office right after work and as soon as the episode was done i heard noises in the hall and a lady walked past my door and turned and looked in my window at me (my door has a great big window in it b/c i work with teenagers). Freaked me right out. Then as i drove to the viewing i saw an old lady walking along the street. She was walking pretty slowly and sort of shuffling her feet and again it creeped me out a bit.

Latest posts

Back