The Walking Dead (TV series)

just watched episode 2. Not nearly as good as the first, but still okay.

is it weird that after watching two episodes the only character names i know are T-Dog and Glen?

just watched episode 2. Not nearly as good as the first, but still okay.

is it weird that after watching two episodes the only character names i know are T-Dog and Glen?

If it's anything like the comic (I haven't seen it yet) then no, it's not weird. Up until fairly recently in the comic I was thrown off by the number of characters and trying to keep them all straight.

If it's anything like the comic (I haven't seen it yet) then no, it's not weird. Up until fairly recently in the comic I was thrown off by the number of characters and trying to keep them all straight.

I had a problem with that as well. Its not bad when you're reading it continuously and uninterrupted with trades, but reading it month to month makes it very hard to remember who is who.

It has nothing to do with a difference of opinion. I'm happy to accept a different viewpoint. What I have a problem with is, as said, people complaining about cliches while helping to perpetuate a new one (the being, internet fanboy complaining).

I don't see how you can compare a cliched artistic gesture, crafted by choice, to a cliched opinion/feeling, which is automatic. I'm not trying to get a result out of somebody else by feeling negatively about the things I complain about. I just feel that way, and I think of what I write on the internet as a simple record of that. TV shows, on the other hand, are trying to create emotions within its audience, so I prefer the ones that choose to do so with artisitic gestures that haven't been done to death.

I think it would only be comparable here if I constantly used an overused meme or something to try and illustrate my point.

And noticing the blatant and obvious (in regards to most others, this isn't aimed at you or Joe) doesn't qualify as pop-psychoanalyzing, in my opinion, of course you're entitled to your own.

Come on. What you notice is "blatant and obvious", but what others notice is just fanboys going out of their way to find problems? The only difference between what we've each targeted is that one(fanboy overanalysis) seems blatant and obvious to you and the other(music-video interlude overuse, cliches) seems blatant and obvious to others.

:wink:?

Last edited:
I don't see how you can compare a cliched artistic gesture, crafted by choice, to a cliched opinion/feeling, which is automatic. I'm not trying to get a result out of somebody else by feeling negatively about the things I complain about. I just feel that way, and I think of what I write on the internet as a simple record of that.

Jesus, you really do overanalyze things to a molecular level.
Wow, you're way better at the over-analyzing than I am. :(

TV shows, on the other hand, are trying to create emotions within its audience, so I prefer the ones that choose to do so with artisitic gestures that haven't been done to death.

Planet-Man said:
I love that type of scene, and it's often one of the most effective in an entire series or movie, but it's becoming such a cliche these days that it's hard to take seriously sometimes.

As you said, you love that type of scene, but its been done to death. Suggestions of a different approach might be useful. Its called constructive criticism, and probably helps the creative process much more than simply pointing at something and saying its bad, or even that its bad and listing the reasons.

I think it would only be comparable here if I constantly used an overused meme or something to try and illustrate my point.

Come on. What you notice is "blatant and obvious", but what others notice is just fanboys going out of their way to find problems? The only difference between what we've each targeted is that one(fanboy overanalysis) seems blatant and obvious to you and the other(music-video interlude overuse, cliches) seems blatant and obvious to others.

I did suggest instead of ONLY complaining, people offer intelligent alternatives or ideas for how it can better be handled as opposed to ONLY and SIMPLY labeling things as cliches.

Its short-sighted and lazy to only criticize something, break down its faults, all without offering a better alternative or insightful alternatives.

Thats what I've been saying.

How would you have done it? If you'd directed it, how would you have ended the episode?

Last edited:
Jesus, you really do overanalyze things to a molecular level.
Wow, you're way better at the over-analyzing than I am. :(

You have got to be kidding me.

As you said, you love that type of scene, but its been done to death. Suggestions of a different approach might be useful. Its called constructive criticism, and probably helps the creative process much more than simply pointing at something and saying its bad, or even that its bad and listing the reasons.

I did suggest instead of ONLY complaining, people offer intelligent alternatives or ideas for how it can better be handled as opposed to ONLY and SIMPLY labeling things as cliches.

Its short-sighted and lazy to only criticize something, break down its faults, all without offering a better alternative or insightful alternatives.

Thats what I've been saying.

How would you have done it? If you'd directed it, how would you have ended the episode?

Well, I'm not Coppola or anything, but I agree with Joe. It had a solid ending with the radio coming on in the tank, and cutting out there would've been more effective then slapping on the music video.

You have got to be kidding me.

I was. I'd actually intended another line in between, but I accidentally deleted it and now can't rememebr what I wrote.

Well, I'm not Coppola or anything, but I agree with Joe. It had a solid ending with the radio coming on in the tank, and cutting out there would've been more effective then slapping on the music video.

Ok, there you go. I don't disagree that that approach would've been less cliched, but would it have carried the same weight as the "music video"? Honestly, probably not.

I'm watching carefully to what they're doing with these extra characters. I think it's an unnecessary evil. On one hand I know they're gonna need the characters to make some new story lines to expand and dramatize the episodes and seasons. But I'm really hoping they don't borrow traits from future characters that we're looking forward to.

Pulp Fiction taught me all I need to know about hick cops.

Yeah. Either gulp a whole glass of water down without stopping, or get somebody to scare you. I hear peanut butter also works really well.

Last edited:
Yeah. Either gulp a whole glass of water down without stopping, or get somebody to scare you. I hear peanut butter also works really well.

My two-year old, who is adorable, calls them "niccups".

I thought this was the best one so far, by a little anyway. Obviously the opening scene was the highlight. I was worried when he stayed in the cab a bit longer than the others that they'd have him immediately turn around to go back for Dixon or get otherwise diverted from reuniting with Lori and Carl for a while. Yet another cartoonishly intolerant hick(the husband) is a stretch, but they seem to be setting the stage for a lot of **** going down within the group.

Looking forward to next week's episode the most yet.

I thought this was the best one so far, by a little anyway. Obviously the opening scene was the highlight. I was worried when he stayed in the cab a bit longer than the others that they'd have him immediately turn around to go back for Dixon or get otherwise diverted from reuniting with Lori and Carl for a while. Yet another cartoonishly intolerant hick(the husband) is a stretch, but they seem to be setting the stage for a lot of **** going down within the group.

Looking forward to next week's episode the most yet.

How is an abusive husband a stretch? Believe it or not, living in rural Ohio, I can tell you, the rednecks are going to be the ones to survive, not us educated city folk. As a kid, my stepdad would take me to his friends' homes, and they had fully stocked foodstuffs, and weapons caches that would make Al-Quada jealous.

How is an abusive husband a stretch? Believe it or not, living in rural Ohio, I can tell you, the rednecks are going to be the ones to survive, not us educated city folk. As a kid, my stepdad would take me to his friends' homes, and they had fully stocked foodstuffs, and weapons caches that would make Al-Quada jealous.

This is what should truly scare us about the Apocalypse...only the moonshiners will survive!

Those don't really seem like the reasons anybody in this group have survived so far(did he even have a gun?). But anyway, I basically mean it's a stretch on the credibility(not necessarily the realism) of the story that most of the character conflict so far has been from characters outing themselves as huge, violent bigots so the heroes can wail on them. It's just too easy and black and white(I'm aware the comic was literally in black and white, har har har).

Last edited:
yeah, i think if the guy they had to handcuff was just going crazy b/c he was scared, then the abusive hick husband would have been fine, but stereotypical crazy bigot hick, irritating belligerent hick brother AND lazy abusive hick husband is just too much.

I can't consider this show good until zombies and/or Rick kill all of the ridiculous hick characters. Like captaincanuck said; one is fine, but three?!

I can't consider this show good until zombies and/or Rick kill all of the ridiculous hick characters. Like captaincanuck said; one is fine, but three?!

Yeah, I was thinking about this. We're halfway through the season, and no one's been offed yet. We should probably start a poll who we think is gonna be first. My guess is abusive husband. We may not see crazy bigot hick again for a little while, and annoying crazy bigot hick brother strikes me as a long-timer, especially since he was on the panel at NYCC.

Of course, it could also be any of the peripheral not-from-the-comic survivors.

Any guesses?

Latest posts

Back