Ultimate Colossus

So do you guys think he was intended to be gay? I'm just not picking up that vibe.

UltimateE said:
So do you guys think he was intended to be gay? I'm just not picking up that vibe.

I don't think he was first intended to be gay because wasn't his first problem dealing with lonliness from the team... I'd say that's because he was gay but I don't think there was any refrences to that until later... I think they kinda wanted a reason why he felt so estranged and looked for a contemporary answer so they started workin' on the gay angle (very carefully)

I think that, when the idea of World Tour came around, Millar thought it would be a good oppurtunity to change things up... You know, change things around so that it would be more interesting for him. He's done this in the Ultimates, too... He's made obvious characters in all of the books he's written. For example, in Ultimates 2 #1 there was a mugger that went after Steve and Janet. If you look at the dialogue, it's the token street hood, really. He's done this with the other characters, too, by giving Tony a tumor and a drinking problem, having Steve have such a problem with the modern world in a quirky way (I know this is a stretch because it is in his character), and Colossus was portrayed as the person in the corner among others because he thought he was different (You know, aside from the fact that he is a mutant). Millar writes right wing characters to make his stories more "compelling".

So, to answer your question, no I don't think Colossus was meant to be gay. He was in the Russian Mafia, for cripes sake! I really don't think they'd be too accepting of a homosexual among them... I do think that Millar changed him up a little bit to make a story and to make yet another character. It's like he was casting a reality show. You need to have blatant stereo types to make a show... That's what Millar did and is doing.

I don't know if Millar intended to write Colossus as gay from the start, but he himself has said that that's where he was going with it. "Colossus plays the flesh flute" was his exact phrase, I believe...

XTFLyons said:
and as for those who feel "it's not developed"... there's two things left for the character to do scream from the mansion rooftop and say he's gay... or something that's real gross and unneccessary for the comic books...

-gives you skeptical look-

I still think that the best option would be to reintroduce Northstar, and say that Peter and Jean-Paul have beeen talking online for the past few months, and Peter convinced him to come to the Mansion.

Gay people can be in a normal, typical teen relationship, you know?

And do you think that if stuff happened between Jean and Scott its going to be published on the page? no. whats in the bedroom, stays in the bedroom.

And anyways, no, he was most likely not intended from the start as a gay character, neither was 616 Northstar (Northstar was told he was an Elf and went to Asgard before he admitted he was gay). But if it works, they should use it.

oh okay, it sounded more like those were the only two ways of settling the matter...

<----Is tired

Hey, could we quote when we get to the end of the page? That way I won't have to go back a page to understand where the conversation has gone...? I notice that is a problem on these boards. It's not you, Doc, it's me and everyone else... I know, I'm lazy! :)

Also, I don't think we need to be force fed homosexuality, you're right about that Xt, but there is not fact given, just speculation.

It's what we do, man. Humans are naturally curious... That's why we can't leave a stone un-turned when we're digging for fossils, etc. :-/ Shame, huh? All that stuff tainted?

longshotjimlee said:
Maybe that's why the dinasours died out, they all turned gay.

Honest to God, some crazy Christian sect believe dinosaurs to be gay people, black people and american indians in their original demonic forms (which they have forgotten to use). I read about it back in freshman theology, it was one of those things in the text, but not covered in class.

I am a Christian but I disagree with most of what the Catholic Church says. Priests can't get married, for example, because they believe it would harm the relationship between that person and God. Well, what I would like to see is a person that has COMPLETELY devoted themselves to God and Jesus. Not one of you can say you are and not one of you can find this person for me. They do not think that homosexuality is acceptable because in the Bible it says it is wrong. We do not live by the book when it comes to saying the Lord's name in vein, saying cussing, having sex outside of marriage, etc., yet when something like this crops up we turn to the chapter and verse and point it out to everyone? Nonsense. I am not a fan of homosexuality BUT they are people and they are who they are... It's no ones place judge so why tell them they are wrong? Colossus being gay wouldn't bother me but make sure there is more to them because that is not who he is.

Latest posts

Back