Ultimate Comics Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

Issue wasn't bad. Nerd Hulk still sucks, I want an origin on The Spider. I'm not entirely down with the whole supernatural deal, but I'm willing to ride the arc out. I gotta confess, Millar's whole "one big story inside a bunch of smaller arcs" is a big thing keeping me on board.

DIrishB said:
So whats Ultimate Ghost Rider's story? Is he an angel or something similarly obvious?

According to The Spider, he's some guy named Johnny Blaze who was killed by the people he's hunting down (they were part of a biker gang, and sacrificed him to Satan). He made a deal with Satan - the guy in the airport - and sold his soul to get revenge. Knowing Millar, that is 100% true, and not just some bull**** made up by The Spider.

Last edited:
Issue wasn't bad. Nerd Hulk still sucks, I want an origin on The Spider. I'm not entirely down with the whole supernatural deal, but I'm willing to ride the arc out. I gotta confess, Millar's whole "one big story inside a bunch of smaller arcs" is a big thing keeping me on board.

I guarantee Millar referring to the smaller arcs making one big arc is a reference to the final arc (obviously), which will introduce Greg Stark as Ultimate Kang.

According to The Spider, he's some guy named Johnny Blaze who was killed by the people he's hunting down (they were part of a biker gang, and sacrificed him to Satan). He made a deal with Satan - the guy in the airport - and sold his soul to get revenge. Knowing Millar, that is 100% true, and not just some bull**** made up by The Spider.

I'm not impressed.

Last edited:
I guarantee Millar referring to the smaller arcs making one big arc is a reference to the final arc (obviously), which will introduce Greg Stark as Ultimate Kang.

I'd rather he be ultimate Krang.
krangbot.jpg

Not too impressed with Ultimate Ghost Rider, but I'm intrigued by this Ultimate Mephisto... Or is that Blaze? It seemed to be the demon he sold his soul to...

I'm not impressed.

No, and neither am I. It's a lot more boring than any of the countless non-supernatural origins he could have used. I wanna hope for that origin being bull**** and he's just some crazy, Satanic mutie or something, but like I said...I'm not putting it past Millar to make something this yawn-worthy the canon explanation. Ironically, Nerd Hulk hit the nail on the head when he said that the origin was "the most retarded thing [he'd] ever heard".

I'm betting Nerd Hulk was supposed to be Banner himself, not a clone, but then Loeb got in there and wanted to include him in Ultimate X.

Two things: I've been super busy lately (one) and my LCS screwed up my sub list (two)...

So I have a bunch of "FrankenCastle" issues and NO GARSH DARN Punisher MAX...

Digressing, since this is the Ultimates thread...

The last issue of UCA was ok. I may be beginning to lose faith in my comic messiah Mark Millar, but this is definitely not his best work. YES IT IS STILL INHERENTLY BETTER THAN ANYTHING JEPH LOEB IS CURRENTLY WRITING but it's just kind of... whaaaat?!?

I loved Ultimate Red Skull until he got punked by daddy. Now I hate Ultimate Red Skull. I understand, Millar has introduced bad guys into the UU that deserved to be killed and then killed them (gasp!) but I wanted U-Red Skull to hang out for a while. All explanations worked and they disposed of the character as they should but being a huge Captain America fan I was hoping ol' Skully would live to see another day.

"I'm sorry son... that's all I wanted to say." was EXCELLENT dialogue, however.... Jeph Loeb couldn't have come up with that on his best day.

So it's still great, but as far as Millar's Ultimates work goes, it's a 2.75 out of 5.

Maybe some of you are right: the UU needs to be put to sleep. Bendis is just too damn old to do Spider-Man teen books now and anything Jeph Loeb touches is a giant coiled turd. Let's restart Marvel the right way... let me write it.

Love 'n' smoochies:
Willverine

"I'm sorry son... that's all I wanted to say." was EXCELLENT dialogue, however.... Jeph Loeb couldn't have come up with that on his best day.

Uh...that really isn't such impressive dialogue. The whole Cap/Red Skull story was one huge ball of father/son cliches (and I say this as a Millar fan as well).

So it's still great, but as far as Millar's Ultimates work goes, it's a 2.75 out of 5.

Maybe some of you are right: the UU needs to be put to sleep. Bendis is just too damn old to do Spider-Man teen books now and anything Jeph Loeb touches is a giant coiled turd.

Loeb's Ultimate X is actually pretty decent. Its actually amazing in the sense that such a readable series (Ultimate X) is done by the same guy who did Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, and New Ultimates.

But other than that, I don't think the Ultimate universe needs to be put to bed, it just needs that shot in the arm of young talent that started the Ultimate verse. Back in the 2000-2002, when the Ultimate verse was just starting, it was starting under the pens of Bendis and Millar very early into their careers, when they had something to prove. Now, they've proven all they need to (apparently), so why not give it to some new up and comers, namely who have talent and long term plans and structure to the books.

Last edited:
I still think Ultimate Spidey is excellent, Bendis' age be damned.

****ty issue was ****ty. And I bet this arc won't even have the decency of writing out Nerd Hulk.

So, Blade is a cursing, sass-talking gangsta streetwise black man who routinely has three women at a time?

Like Cash?

I'm having a hard time believing Millar isn't a racist.

I'm sure he's not, but dammit, he's got to stop making his black men all the same damn stereotype.

Okay, I sort of enjoyed this issue, until I saw the end that is.

Hulk, with unbreakable skin, was somehow changed into a vamp. I liked how they described the new Dardevil and all that, but the ending of the issue....just plain horrible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back