Ultimate Comics Spider-Man/Miles Morales Discussion (SPOILERS)

Re: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Discussion (SPOILERS)

I like that Uncle Aaron is the anti-Uncle Ben. Miles wants to do the right thing all the time and it's his own uncle who is trying to pull him away from it.

I like that Uncle Aaron is the anti-Uncle Ben. Miles wants to do the right thing all the time and it's his own uncle who is trying to pull him away from it.

Wow. I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. Nice catch.

Scorpion is caucasian now?

Latino, I'm 98% sure he said he's Mexican, or at least from Mexico.

It seems like his skin looks a lot lighter than before, although that does make sense, him being in New York for a while.

Okay, carry on.

cmdrjanjalani said:

AANNDD with all that talk about how he feels that he has a responsibility for Miles because it's his fault that he became Spider-Man. It's a pretty cool twist on the Uncle Ben/Peter Parker relationship.

I really can't tell how much I trust Uncle Aaron. The Prowler ends up being not so bad in the 616 universe, and it's clear that he cares about Miles, but he's also manipulating him into dealing with the Scorpion (who by the way is also a cool new take on the character)

Good stuff!

Last edited:
Speaking of Uncle Aaron, I have to admit I did NOT see that coming.

I like how his relationship with Miles is such a perversion of Uncle Ben's relationship with Peter, and yet there are a lot of parallels.

Well, on to "Divided We Stand"

I like how his relationship with Miles is such a perversion of Uncle Ben's relationship with Peter, and yet there are a lot of parallels.

Yeah, I really like how Bendis laid that one out. I don't think he normally writes on that "deep" of a level. I was really impressed with that.

As for the crossover...ugh. I wish they would not do this. I can't think of a single Ultimate crossover that has been any good.

I generally enjoy Bendis' stuff; it's usually entertaining, but sort of dumb. But you can really see the difference when he cares about a story he's writing. I feel like he hadn't been this good since early Ultimate Spider-Man and his run on DareDevil.

Captain Canuck said:
I feel like he hadn't been this good since early Ultimate Spider-Man and his run on DareDevil.

I was saying this to Tog, who didn't believe me.

Last edited:

Are you talking about the end of #12?

I wasn't expecting that at all...and once again it's a cool twist on the traditional Spider-Man story. Peter feels responsible for the death of his uncle, who cared about him, and Miles is going to feel responsible for the death of his uncle, who was using him and taking advantage of him. If he had told his parents it might not have happened.

That's pretty smart.

I also like that it took 12 issues to get here but I never once felt like it was too decompressed or drawn out.

Yeah, I'm talking about the fact that Miles accidentally killed Uncle Aaron. It really is a great twist on the original story, I love it!

Yeah, I'm talking about the fact that Miles accidentally killed Uncle Aaron. It really is a great twist on the original story, I love it!

Every time I read a new issue I really am shocked at how good this book is and how well it handles being original while still being based on the original story. I really had no idea Bendis could be so clever. That probably sounds more like a backhanded compliment or more sarcastic that I mean it, but I really just mean he doesn't really write like this.

Every time I read a new issue I really am shocked at how good this book is and how well it handles being original while still being based on the original story. I really had no idea Bendis could be so clever. That probably sounds more like a backhanded compliment or more sarcastic that I mean it, but I really just mean he doesn't really write like this.

Yeah, another thing is that it's actually still unclear how we should really feel about that. Uncle Aaron while at first seemed sympathetic, is shown to be an awful person when he kills the Tinkerer, blackmails in his own nephew and enjoys his life of crime with sinister ambitions to be on top. His death is bittersweet. He is a terrible person and uncle, but Miles still did kill his own flesh and blood, and what he considered a friend before knowing his Prowler alter-ego.

Ok, so I realized I hadn't commented on this in a while... Finally realized why the art changed a few issues back when "Spider-Men" started coming out. This is my favorite Marvel book right now. It is really just kicking ass. This last issue... I'm pretty sure that May is going to give the kid some web-shooters, which - it's about time. Anyway, that's what I have for now.

Ult Spider-Man is not only the best Ult title right now, it's leaps and bounds better than the others. No one thought a new Spidey was a good idea, but Bendis managed to write the character and plot in a way so as not only to keep you interested, but you can't help but root for Miles. I do miss Peter, but honestly probably like Miles more. Also enjoy that Peter's supporting cast play an important role in the book, and will undoubtedly help keep Miles pointed in the right direction. I'd also like to see Fury take more of a surrogate father role (like he did with Peter, but more distanced) as a way of fulfilling his intentions, if now impossible to do for Peter, through his replacement of Miles. In other words, I'd like to see Miles actually recruited to the Ultimates when he's old enough, and train regularly with them in the meantime. Think it'd be a great reason to bring Spider-Woman back to the book, as a sort of big sister character (albeit with similar powers, so the role works two-fold as both a trainer and emotional rock for the young Miles).

So again, while I miss Peter, I think the best thing Bendis did for the title was kill him off and take this new approach.

And yes, the twist on Uncle Ben's murder with Miles playing an indirect hand in Aaron's death was pretty smart.

I'm pretty sure that May is going to give the kid some web-shooters, which - it's about time.

He already played with them in Spider-Men number 4. I think it would be cool if 616 Peter gave him Ultimate Peter's shooters (with May's permission), kind of a passing of the torch if you will.

Sara Pichelli is such a huge improvement on this book.

Also, Uncle Aaron looks like Snoop Dogg.

I thought he looked like young morgan freeman

This last episode was kinda weird because I was struggling with where it happened... I remember him playing with the webshooters at aunt May's so does that mean she already gave them to him? Did she give them to him after she met adult Peter Parker?

Also, did anybody notice that Miles thought about how the venom blast "killed" his uncle... and still zapped the Rhino? LoL I thought that was kind of interesting.

Latest posts

Back