Ultimate Comics Spider-Man/Miles Morales Discussion (SPOILERS)

Guarantee you it's only temporary. I like that he's doing something only teased with Peter Parker,
and the solicits seem to be implying that he won't really fit into the Ultimates lifestyle
. As long as that happens and it gets back to his personal life, I'm happy.

Soooo... Spider-Man is in the Ultimates

This makes no. Sense. Whatsoever.

Bendis is absolutely the worst when it comes to throwing poop at the wall to see what sticks. That's what this sounds like. He just does stuff. And most of the time it does not stick.

I dunno, I think there's precedence. Miles is new at this superhero thing, in a nation that has a big superhero team. He's still struggling to find his identity as a superhero at a time when his nation is crumbling, and seeing those heroes go out and do something about the crisis probably speaks volumes to him about what it means to be a hero. AND it was constantly being teased that Peter was gonna end up in the Ultimates, so I feel like this is playing with that. The ultimate point, I think, is gonna be that Miles won't gel with the superhero team lifestyle, and will opt out of being a permanent member; it's in that sense that I'm pretty sure Bendis isn't so much seeing if this will stick as he is temporarily changing the status quo within the book to tie in with the larger crossover.

Now, I definitely think this has been the weakest Miles arc thus far, as all crossover arcs tend to be in my favourite comics, and I can't wait to get back to the small-scale, personal stuff that has made this book what it has been. But yeah, I'm willing to wait this arc out because I'm pretty sure that "Miles Morales of the Ultimates" isn't gonna last beyond December.

Last edited:
I can't decide whether I want this to be a different Venom or not. Eddie was such an intensely personal villain for Peter that taking him out of the familial context that he had with Peter could really cause him to lose potential as a character; on the other hand, it's not like he was ever used to his potential past his introductory arc, and it would be kind of contrived to introduce a second Suit or a villain that is visually identical but different altogether.

That .1 issue was awesome either way, though. Jameson might be single most well-developed character in USM.

Yeah, I really liked the .1 issue too! What was Betty's screw-up that everyone kept referring to? I can't remember if that actually happened in the pages of USM or not.

oh, yeah i guess it could be that. But the cop and the scientist both said they had been screwed over by her in the past. Maybe Bendis was just trying to show that she was a scum bag reporter without moral boundaries who wanted to get rich and didn't care who she hurt in the process.

It was confirmed in some earlier issue that Betty was fired for the Kraven thing; I think she had some early pictures of Miles as Spidey and brought them to Jameson, which is where it came up. It might have been even earlier than that, though...maybe even as far back as the Lafuente UCSM era, or maybe even the Immonen days. I would check, but half of my USM stuff is lent out at the moment. The Kraven thing has been mentioned a couple times though, so it probably is that.

The other stuff is likely, as you suggest, a means to show that Betty was a pretty poor reporter all around. Remember, the Bugle used to be little better than a tabloid, and Jameson himself was pretty radically different at the start (he might be the character that experiences the most growth over the series, now that I think about it), so I imagine that her **** used to fly just fine. It might have been cool to see her call him out on that, but I think it's fine as an implication and I like that a crappy paper attracted some crappy reporters alongside its Urichs.

hmmm... it might be time to give the whole series a re-read!

Too bad I don't have time :(

Just read a little at a time. I just finished re-reading the Lord Of the Rings books. I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to read, so I'm re-reading all my Ultimate issues. When I go to work I read a little before I punch in and a little during my break. Sure it will take a long time to do it this way, but still...

the watcher said:
Just read a little at a time. I just finished re-reading the Lord Of the Rings books. I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to read, so I'm re-reading all my Ultimate issues. When I go to work I read a little before I punch in and a little during my break. Sure it will take a long time to do it this way, but still...

Yeah, that's probably how I'll eventually do it but I already have several series on the go.

I don't mind the idea that Miles joins the Ultimates, but having him as one of the front line soldiers in a war? That's rather ridiculous. I can't wait until Venom!

Although I am sort of interested to see if Miles' dad joined Hydra.

Yeah, this book is more or less just coasting until Venom. One more issue of the crossover! I'm excited for it to get back to the street-level stuff, and to see just what this second Venom is, exactly.

From #20:

tumblr_mfke05dp761rx5px6o1_1280.jpg

Latest posts

Back