Ultimate Origins series discussion [Bendis/Guice] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimate Origins discussion (spoilers)

Wolverine... now i can't remember the year that was given that went with Wolverine's birth, but i think it was still in the 1940's? if i'm wrong then im sorry for this rant :oops: If Jim was created in the 40's doesn't that $#^@ things up that have already been established? Such as wasn't Wolverine created during the Gulf War or a little before that? Colonel Wraith and Tara were present for his birth when here in Origins they didn't appear to be. and Dr. C in the 40's? Shouldn't he be more old in present day Ult. Universe than he was presented here? If I wrong about this date then all of this was pointless and i apologize. I would like to be reminded of what the date was given in this ish

I believe Wolvie has two origins: How he became a mutant with a healing factor and how he got his adamantium claws and skeletons.

The Gulf War era would think he's just a mutant and he would become 'Wolverine' (and lose his memories) when Weapon X gave him the adamantium. The WWII era origin is how he became a mutant in the first place. I think.

read it yesturday and besides the art it just made my head hurt :?

Nick Fury the super - soldier.... NO!!! Ult. Fury, to me, was a much better character as he was prior to this. My only guess is why he doesn't use his own blood in the present day to recreate the SSS is because maybe he burned out or something. plus, i don't know who it was but some posts back someone mentioned that he grew his arm back after Ultimates 2. Now, if he has the ability to regenerate, why not regenerate his eye? if this Fury turned out to be present Fury's father then i guess that would work for me.

Wolverine... now i can't remember the year that was given that went with Wolverine's birth, but i think it was still in the 1940's? if i'm wrong then im sorry for this rant :oops: If Jim was created in the 40's doesn't that $#^@ things up that have already been established? Such as wasn't Wolverine created during the Gulf War or a little before that? Colonel Wraith and Tara were present for his birth when here in Origins they didn't appear to be. and Dr. C in the 40's? Shouldn't he be more old in present day Ult. Universe than he was presented here? If I wrong about this date then all of this was pointless and i apologize. I would like to be reminded of what the date was given in this ish

Weren't they present when he was captured and brainwashed by Weapon X? He probably stayed under the raider/out of harms way until the 80's.

Corneleus should be older yes, unless the modern day one is a son or brother or nephew or... clone...?

Nick Fury's arm (according to the Ultimate Secrets Handbook) is bionic, probably built for him by Stark Industries? And he lost his eye in the Gulf I thought, that's how it seemed in Return to Weapon X anyway. I really hope this is modern Nick Fury's daddy and not him himself

I didn't think he got out of that bacta tank thing until three years later... 1946.

I guess they let him out every now and then and pretended he was an ordinary soldier or something?

As for Wolverine being "born" in the 40's, I don't think that was ever established (and if so, can be retconne with the memory problems). And I don't think it was ever said he was created during the Gulf War...he was just a prisoner of Weapon X at the time and being transported across Iraz for some unknown reason. I'll have to re-read the early arcs to see if the Wraith thing is a problem. As for Cornelius beig too young, who knows? Maybe he shot himself with some serum and he's Mutant Negative One? :roll:

I believe Wolvie has two origins: How he became a mutant with a healing factor and how he got his adamantium claws and skeletons.

The Gulf War era would think he's just a mutant and he would become 'Wolverine' (and lose his memories) when Weapon X gave him the adamantium. The WWII era origin is how he became a mutant in the first place. I think.

Good point. I should've thought of that. I guess its a sign that the Ultimate continuity is quickly catching up with the convoluted level of 616's continuity.

Weren't they present when he was captured and brainwashed by Weapon X? He probably stayed under the raider/out of harms way until the 80's.

Corneleus should be older yes, unless the modern day one is a son or brother or nephew or... clone...?

Nick Fury's arm (according to the Ultimate Secrets Handbook) is bionic, probably built for him by Stark Industries? And he lost his eye in the Gulf I thought, that's how it seemed in Return to Weapon X anyway. I really hope this is modern Nick Fury's daddy and not him himself

I didn't know it'd been confirmed Fury's arm was bionic (actually, that Handbook reference is the ONLY reference to Fury's arm being back post-Ultimates 2). Good to know.

And yes, he lost his eye in the shoot-out in Iraq that freed Wolverine (temporarily) from Weapon X.

Pearl said:
I didn't think he got out of that bacta tank thing until three years later... 1946.

I guess they let him out every now and then and pretended he was an ordinary soldier or something?

Ah, crap, forgot about that. You have a good point. I suppose (unless its explained later, which I doubt) that your explanation is the only way to reconcile that continuity gaffe.

This is a huge headache. A huge stupid headache.

HAHAHA!!!

*snort*

HAHAHAHA!!!

This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read. And I've read Trials of Shazam!

I'm not sure what to make of this. I've scratched my head so much I've got a new bald spot.

There's no way that's the Nick Fury we've come to know through years of Ultimate continuity. No way. Gotta be Nicholas Fury, Sr. or something. Same with Fisk. If not, I just want to say...

OKAY WHAT THE HELL? THIS IS NOT 616 I WAS EXPECTING SOME MORE MODERN AND BELIEVABLE TIMELINES. LET'S GET WITH THE PROGRAM HERE, BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS.

Seriously, I swear, Bendis and Loeb are hell-bent on making the Ultimate Universe into 616 "deluxe" or some such. I'm really not happy about that.

So anyway... this has potential to be cool, but it also has potential to suck so much that it hurts and leaves a blood blister. Wolverine's debacle, I can deal with, although I'm not keen on the idea that meta-humans were basically discovered around WWII. What about Namor? What about the Inhumans? Hell, what about Thor? (In hindsight, I suppose they could explain it like this: Namor's an Atlantean so he probably got his powers when the aliens came through Stargate: Atlantis and gave them to him, the Inhumans are aliens and Thor is a Norse god. But I digress...)

I'm hoping that I am right, that the Nick Fury we're seeing in these pages is a Senior and the Nick Fury we've been reading for the last several years is his son. Same with Wilson Fisk. The only characters I really want to see in the UU who have been kicking around since WWII are Cap and Wolverine. What's the next logical step otherwise? Is Bendis going to start dropping hints that Ultimate Spider-Man is actually taking place in mid-60's New York?

In the immortal words of Bendis.... "oy vey".

Technically I think its supposed to be assumed that Apocalypse was just Sinister with delusions of grandeur and an amped up secondary mutation, though I could be wrong about that.

Technically, I think it's supposed to be assumed that Robert Kirkman really screwed the pooch with his Ultimization of Apocalypse.

WORST. KIRKMAN. WRITING. EVER.

You know....I read the issue, and to be quite honest: I didn't hate it. I mean, besides not knowing what to think about Fury being in WWII and having the serum work on him (so now how come it worked on him and Cap, but no one else?), the issue really wasn't horrible.

HAHAHA!!!

*snort*

HAHAHAHA!!!

This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read. And I've read Trials of Shazam!

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure what to make of this. I've scratched my head so much I've got a new bald spot.

There's no way that's the Nick Fury we've come to know through years of Ultimate continuity. No way. Gotta be Nicholas Fury, Sr. or something. Same with Fisk. If not, I just want to say...

OKAY WHAT THE HELL? THIS IS NOT 616 I WAS EXPECTING SOME MORE MODERN AND BELIEVABLE TIMELINES. LET'S GET WITH THE PROGRAM HERE, BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS.

Seriously, I swear, Bendis and Loeb are hell-bent on making the Ultimate Universe into 616 "deluxe" or some such. I'm really not happy about that.

So anyway... this has potential to be cool, but it also has potential to suck so much that it hurts and leaves a blood blister. Wolverine's debacle, I can deal with, although I'm not keen on the idea that meta-humans were basically discovered around WWII. What about Namor? What about the Inhumans? Hell, what about Thor? (In hindsight, I suppose they could explain it like this: Namor's an Atlantean so he probably got his powers when the aliens came through Stargate: Atlantis and gave them to him, the Inhumans are aliens and Thor is a Norse god. But I digress...)

I'm hoping that I am right, that the Nick Fury we're seeing in these pages is a Senior and the Nick Fury we've been reading for the last several years is his son. Same with Wilson Fisk. The only characters I really want to see in the UU who have been kicking around since WWII are Cap and Wolverine. What's the next logical step otherwise? Is Bendis going to start dropping hints that Ultimate Spider-Man is actually taking place in mid-60's New York?

In the immortal words of Bendis.... "oy vey".

Don't see the big Deal. So he's been around since WWII, So what? We where told it would all connect and for Fury to be the badass he'd must have been around the block a few times.

Yeah, except it's been said he started out in the big-leagues during the gulf war. This is directly contradicting continuity.

Also: I don't like that mutants are all of a sudden a creation of Dr. Conelius.

Yeah, except it's been said he started out in the big-leagues during the gulf war. This is directly contradicting continuity.

Also: I don't like that mutants are all of a sudden a creation of Dr. Conelius.

He's not really part of the big leagues at point in time though compared to how he will be. It's the 1940's so i doubt he'd be able to do much then.

I'm starting to think it's his dad or something. He doesn't really look like Sam Jackson in origins...

I'm starting to think it's his dad or something. He doesn't really look like Sam Jackson in origins...

Because He has hair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back