Ultimate Origins series discussion [Bendis/Guice] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimate Origins discussion (spoilers)

No. No he does not.

Don't see the big Deal. So he's been around since WWII, So what? We where told it would all connect and for Fury to be the badass he'd must have been around the block a few times.

Because, Venom Melendez, it's stupid. It's not just stupid, it's F'ING stupid! It's a total repeat of Fury's 616 origin and we don't need to have that forced down our throats in a supposed "update" of Marvel Comics. The WWII origin story works for Cap, works for Wolverine, doesn't really work for anyone else, otherwise all bets are off and we might as well have every single damned character in the Ultimate Universe as a surivivor/participant of WWII. Screw it, Hawkeye started off storming the beach at Normandy with a bow and arrow. Scarlet Witch was teaching Krauts the meaning of paradigm shift while fighting against Rommel's Panzers in North Africa. Dazzler was Dazzling Japanese Kamikaze pilots over the South Pacific during the battle of Midway Island. 15-year-old Peter Parker witnessed the firebombing of Dresden. Let's take all of those plot points and run with them, and while we're at it let's just make the Ultimate Universe completely irrelevant and more confusing than the DC Universe is right now (damn it).

If that's not Nicholas Fury, Sr. in Ultimate Origins #1, sorry, but I'm not buying it. That sucks. Not worth my money. It's just like Dr. Strangefate said, Ultimate Nick Fury came to fame during Gulf War I. That's a timeline we can touch. I can BELIEVE that Ultimate Nick Fury was in Gulf War I. It's a major stretch to BELIEVE that he was a soldier during WWII. Infinity formula, Super Soldier serum or otherwise. I. do. not. buy. that. That insults my intelligence... and the same goes for "Fisk". I hope there's a lot of nepotism going on in the UU in both cases.

It's just stupid to say you're going to "update" Marvel Comics (which was the original mission statement of the Ultimate line) and then you try to root it's history in the same ol' crap. Why should I care, in that situation? Oh... that's right... I don't.

Because, Venom Melendez, it's stupid. It's not just stupid, it's F'ING stupid! It's a total repeat of Fury's 616 origin and we don't need to have that forced down our throats in a supposed "update" of Marvel Comics. The WWII origin story works for Cap, works for Wolverine, doesn't really work for anyone else, otherwise all bets are off and we might as well have every single damned character in the Ultimate Universe as a surivivor/participant of WWII. Screw it, Hawkeye started off storming the beach at Normandy with a bow and arrow. Scarlet Witch was teaching Krauts the meaning of paradigm shift while fighting against Rommel's Panzers in North Africa. Dazzler was Dazzling Japanese Kamikaze pilots over the South Pacific during the battle of Midway Island. 15-year-old Peter Parker witnessed the firebombing of Dresden. Let's take all of those plot points and run with them, and while we're at it let's just make the Ultimate Universe completely irrelevant and more confusing than the DC Universe is right now (damn it).

If that's not Nicholas Fury, Sr. in Ultimate Origins #1, sorry, but I'm not buying it. That sucks. Not worth my money. It's just like Dr. Strangefate said, Ultimate Nick Fury came to fame during Gulf War I. That's a timeline we can touch. I can BELIEVE that Ultimate Nick Fury was in Gulf War I. It's a major stretch to BELIEVE that he was a soldier during WWII. Infinity formula, Super Soldier serum or otherwise. I. do. not. buy. that. That insults my intelligence... and the same goes for "Fisk". I hope there's a lot of nepotism going on in the UU in both cases.

It's just stupid to say you're going to "update" Marvel Comics (which was the original mission statement of the Ultimate line) and then you try to root it's history in the same ol' crap. Why should I care, in that situation? Oh... that's right... I don't.

You are quite correct sir. And I totally agree. Plus nowhere is it mentioned that the super soldier serum has any effects on aging. (at least that I know of) The reason Cap is still young is because he was frozen. Howlett is still young due to his healing factor. Fury not aging does not make sense. However I am confident that we are seeing Nick Fury Sr here since the other questions about how if Nick was a super soldier this whole time they could have used his blood etc. are valid and I can't imagine Bendis being that lazy. (actually I can but I don't want to) Plus Fury (current) has not displayed anything "super" in terms of abilities before. So it makes sense that he is this guys son. But if that is not how it plays out this will be some seriously bad writing on Bendis' part.

I guess we will see.

I also am not a fan of how the mutant gene was just "invented" by Dr Cornelius. I kind of liked the whole "random mutation" thing. I liked it better than "invented by Dr C." anyway.

Essentially he is saying that ALL the mutants are a product of Canadian super soldier experiments.

Damn those Canadians with their beady eyes and floppy heads!!!

Technically, I think it's supposed to be assumed that Robert Kirkman really screwed the pooch with his Ultimization of Apocalypse.

WORST. KIRKMAN. WRITING. EVER.

That goes without saying. But from the standpoint of trying to reconcile Ultimate continuity, I'm sticking with this:

DIrishB said:
Technically I think its supposed to be assumed that Apocalypse was just Sinister with delusions of grandeur and an amped up secondary mutation, though I could be wrong about that.

:)

The WWII origin story works for Cap, works for Wolverine, doesn't really work for anyone else, otherwise all bets are off and we might as well have every single damned character in the Ultimate Universe as a surivivor/participant of WWII. Screw it, Hawkeye started off storming the beach at Normandy with a bow and arrow. Scarlet Witch was teaching Krauts the meaning of paradigm shift while fighting against Rommel's Panzers in North Africa. Dazzler was Dazzling Japanese Kamikaze pilots over the South Pacific during the battle of Midway Island. 15-year-old Peter Parker witnessed the firebombing of Dresden. Let's take all of those plot points and run with them, and while we're at it let's just make the Ultimate Universe completely irrelevant and more confusing than the DC Universe is right now (damn it).

Genius!

So, variant cover for Ultimate Origins 2.

ultimate-origins-20080605114526370.jpg

Proving that it's impossible for anyone to look straight in that pose. The "*** to the camera, face turned over shoulder" thing is just too gay of a pose.

So, variant cover for Ultimate Origins 2.

ultimate-origins-20080605114526370.jpg

Proving that it's impossible for anyone to look straight in that pose. The "*** to the camera, face turned over shoulder" thing is just too gay of a pose.

Agree about the pose, but the artwork itself is still amazing. If only Guice had positioned Cap so his back was slightly turned away from the camera at the waist, so his *** isn't RIGHT THERE!

Still, nice artwork.

Agree about the pose, but the artwork itself is still amazing. If only Guice had positioned Cap so his back was slightly turned away from the camera at the waist, so his *** isn't RIGHT THERE!

Still, nice artwork.

Agreed. The detail work in the costume is pretty top notch.

Ultimate Fury had hair in his first appearance (Ultimate X-Men: Return to Weapon X).

Does the Fury in Origins have an eyepatch?

Actually, he first appeared in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up 5, but he did have hair then (and a cigar).

I finally read Ultimate Origins 1, and that absolutely has to be Fury's dad. No question.

There is also Zola, but since he is just a brain in a jar, that's a bit more justified.

It is a bit silly that tons of people in 616 MU and DCU from WWII are still running around, often still in their 30s.

I think they should handle WWII characters better at this point, it would be better if they just of a WWII legacy character, like Cap fighting and killing Ultimate Heinrich Zemo during the war and then meeting Helmut Zemo (his grandson) in modern times, which sets up a conflict with ghost from the past.

But really making Nick Fury like 616 Nick Fury is pretty stupid.

I read it and hated it as soon as I saw Fisk and Fury.

But then I started thinking, "There's no way that's the Fury and Fisk of today. Both of them would have to be Bucky's age. It's gotta be their grandfathers." So then I hated it less.

But I still hated it nonetheless.

And tying everything together is dumb. Just plain and simple. It's the reason people hate 616 X-Men Family Trees. I'm sure that if I researched it right, I'd find that Scott Summers and Toad are related. It's that convoluted. And that's just the X books. Now they're doing it to an entire universe.

Last edited:

I am willing to accept that I unfairly jumped the gun and assumed it was regular Fisk and Fury, but after Ultimate Power who can blame me? And besides...

It's the reason people hate 616 X-Men Family Trees.

BINGO.

It's been revealed that Fury and Fisk in #1 aren't the regular ones?

It's been revealed that Fury and Fisk in #1 aren't the regular ones?

It's kinda assumed to be their fathers,

Eh, its more that we're all hoping that the people appearing in issue #1 were their fathers (Fury and Fisk) as opposed to actually being Nick Fury of the Ultimates era and Wilson Fish, aka Kingpin.

I think the assumption plays into the fact that it would prevent a few possible continuity mess ups, prevent the character of Fury from becoming a deus ex machina and ruining the character by making him more than a bad-*** human, etc.

I remember reading this tie-in novel where Spidey learned that not only did Wolverine know his parents, but he was the first to congradulate them on their pregnancy with him. Hilarity ensued.

Latest posts

Back