Ultimate Vision Backstory (Discussion/spoilers)

Two continuity mistakes in six pages?! ouch.

Given that I would have USM#86 without the vision back story, I can't complain too much. Fairly simple so far, but thats six pages what can you expect.

get the impression that Vision appears feminine because that way it's a change from 616. Just to be different. There had to be a gender change from 616 to UU somewhere, and I'd a lot more upset if it was Captain Miss America. and how else do you make a metal robot look feminine than to give it breasts?

Female Vision=gimmick to me, but it could have been worse.

fireproof said:
get the impression that Vision appears feminine because that way it's a change from 616. Just to be different. There had to be a gender change from 616 to UU somewhere, and I'd a lot more upset if it was Captain Miss America. and how else do you make a metal robot look feminine than to give it breasts?

Nooooooo.... It couldn't have been worse. Ultimate Vision shouldn't have even had a sex. That would've been a better ultimization. Not fembot Vision.

fireproof said:
Two continuity mistakes in six pages?! ouch.

Given that I would have USM#86 without the vision back story, I can't complain too much. Fairly simple so far, but thats six pages what can you expect.

There has already been a sex change in the UU, the mad thinker. And it worked out great. The Vision sex change is just cheap.

This is what I think... I ill not post again till i read the secont part (saturday) vision will give them thier warning something wll go wrong and her(his)? its mind will be transferred into the body of henks vision thats just what I think we will see how it plays out.

Spade said:
This is what I think... I ill not post again till i read the secont part (saturday) vision will give them thier warning something wll go wrong and her(his)? its mind will be transferred into the body of henks vision thats just what I think we will see how it plays out.

That's absurd. This Vision is being kept safely within the Triskelion and has some very vital knowledge regarding Gah Lak Tus, not to mention some advanced alien technology that would of great use to SHIELD. Hank's Vision II was just an offshoot project which Nick Fury didn't even want to take for free.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Nooooooo.... It couldn't have been worse. Ultimate Vision shouldn't have even had a sex. That would've been a better ultimization. Not fembot Vision.

I agree - no gender is better - but i think it's less of a change to switch a robot's gender, cuz... it's a robot. They could have made daredevil into a woman....

Guijllons said:
There has already been a sex change in the UU, the mad thinker. And it worked out great. The Vision sex change is just cheap.

I never read much 616 Fantastic Four, so I didn't realize. Thanks for pointing that out.

Alright then - they have no excuse at all.

Last edited:
The final conclusion:

EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO SEX ORGANS, THE ROBOT STILL HAS A FEMININE FACE AND A SET OF ROBOJUGS. THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG ABOUT IT.

Well, if you get over the fact that Vision started as slab of metal and evolved into a human chick, part 2 of the story is interesting.

We don't really learn anything new about Gah Lak Tus yet but it is a good read. It also feels like we are on the verge of learning more but I wouldn't be surprised if Vision was not only a woman but also a tease. ;)

I really don't have a problem with the hot robo-bod, especially now that Millar has established that Vision has a history of changing forms and evolving over time.

Do the robo-jugs serve a purpose? I doubt it, but why should a robot even have human features at all? Nobody is complaining that it has a humanoid shape, a mouth, a nose, and two eyes. Is there really a difference?

The only reason for the robot to look human is in order to better relate to humans, and perhaps Vision learned during its time on Earth that taking on a feminine form would be the ideal way to accomplish its job (which is to get people to pay attention and listen to its warning).

Perhaps a set of double-D titanium melons is taking things a bit too far, but hey, Vision has been around for thousands of years, so maybe it knows something we don't.

Guijllons said:
They will, they just want people to buy the monthlies for fear of missing out. The only reason they're selling the story like this is to get readers of one book to read them all.
If you mean, they're trying to sucker people into becoming collectors I'd say that's overrating Marvel's scrupulousness. If anything, its just going to cause short-term sales spikes amongst those who'll just pick up the other titles for Vision and then go back to their regular buying habits.

The question is, will management recognize that these sales spikes are temporary, and start to engage in repetitive cross-promotional sales exercises and bring us back to one of the things that nearly killed comics in the 90s?

DIrishB said:
Continuity wasn't a problem at all...well, except for Reed being 19. But compared to the other continuity problems in the Ultimate universe, that was relatively minor.

Well, that really stuck out for me because Millar has a very big hand in the UU yet fails to pay attention to the small details... That he initially wrote! Ughh...

Goodwill said:
Well, that really stuck out for me because Millar has a very big hand in the UU yet fails to pay attention to the small details... That he initially wrote! Ughh...
Maybe he didn't. Millar did say he didn't write so much of the first UFF issues. Bendis did most of the writing.

I agree with MwoF - this part was much improved over the first. True, we didn't learn much about Gah Lak Tus, but that's not what this is about, so I don't have a problem with that.

This race of alien farmers - they look kind of familiar...does anyone think they are supposed to be Ultimized versions of anyone?

DIrishB said:
Since I wasn't able to pick up UXM #65 today, is there any way someone could give me a quick rundown on what happened in the second part? Come on, its only 4 pages you have to summarize.

It's a flashback scene to the first civilization that Vision was sent to warn. Basically Vision arrived and it took the inhabitants of the world thousands and thousands of years to decipher the warning. At one point it said half of the population was working on it. Eventually one guy figured it out but it was too late.

UltimateE said:
It's a flashback scene to the first civilization that Vision was sent to warn. Basically Vision arrived and it took the inhabitants of the world thousands and thousands of years to decipher the warning. At one point it said half of the population was working on it. Eventually one guy figured it out but it was too late.

Oh ok, a flashback scene in the sense I'll have to place it very early in the timeline, or a real-time flashback in the sense Vision is currently telling it to Reed, Sam, and company?

Thanks for the summary by the way, E.

Latest posts

Back