Ultimate Vision Backstory (Discussion/spoilers)

Parts 3 & 4

All right I'll get this out of the way right now. You're wrong about it making sense that she's female. Just wrong. Seldes had it right and what makes it even worse is the fact that on every single planet she still has boobs. EVERY SINGLE ONE! They loose a point for this.

On the other hand. I am in absolute love with the 2 steps up 1 step back storytelling.

We are learning nothing about Galactus. We're getting nowhere but somehow these little mini issues bring us closer and closer to the truth and it's just wonderfully done. I love the story and I love every image that doesn't include Vision.

4/5& 4/5

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Parts 3 & 4

All right I'll get this out of the way right now. You're wrong about it making sense that she's female. Just wrong. Seldes had it right and what makes it even worse is the fact that on every single planet she still has boobs. EVERY SINGLE ONE! They loose a point for this.

On the other hand. I am in absolute love with the 2 steps up 1 step back storytelling.

We are learning nothing about Galactus. We're getting nowhere but somehow these little mini issues bring us closer and closer to the truth and it's just wonderfully done. I love the story and I love every image that doesn't include Vision.

4/5& 4/5

You want to maybe give a quick summary of Part 4 of the story, just to fill in those of us who might not get a chance to read it until later? I for one would appreciate it.

DIrishB said:
You want to maybe give a quick summary of Part 4 of the story, just to fill in those of us who might not get a chance to read it until later? I for one would appreciate it.

Like I said not much happens. "She" just goes over how she prepared a civilization with supersoldiers but they were wiped out within' hours. No planet has survived. Then they look at Earth and "She" wonders if they'll get lucky.

TheManWithoutFear said:
[W]hat makes it even worse is the fact that on every single planet she still has boobs. EVERY SINGLE ONE!
Well, this could suggest that Gah Lak Tus only targets planets where the dominant intelligent species is some form of mammal, I suppose. Although I find that unrealistic, as there's no guarentee that the same types of lifeforms would evolve on any planet other than Earth. Or that other planets would host races and species that even have genders as we understand them. Or that the physical characteristics of said genders would be the same as those of Earth-based species.

(I realize that this could also say something about the mind-set of the writers and/or artists working on this mini, too, but I really, really don't want to go there....) :sure:

Seldes Katne said:
Well, this could suggest that Gah Lak Tus only targets planets where the dominant intelligent species is some form of mammal, I suppose. Although I find that unrealistic, as there's no guarentee that the same types of lifeforms would evolve on any planet other than Earth. Or that other planets would host races and species that even have genders as we understand them. Or that the physical characteristics of said genders would be the same as those of Earth-based species.

(I realize that this could also say something about the mind-set of the writers and/or artists working on this mini, too, but I really, really don't want to go there....) :sure:

Please go there.

I think it's sort of weird because Vision is trying to drill in the fact she's been to these planets with a variety of species and all we see are boobs.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Please go there.

I think it's sort of weird because Vision is trying to drill in the fact she's been to these planets with a variety of species and all we see are boobs.
No, no, I'm really not going to go there. Steve GMan has already filled this page's quota for sexist comments. (Perhaps I shouldn't put my tire-iron away just yet, eh, DIrishB? :wink: )

On a related note, however: one thing I've noticed, especially on the fanfic boards at TheForce.Net, is that human writers often have a difficult time creating alien intelligences that don't end up thinking and acting like a human in an alien suit. (You know, like those people who used to do costume work for SF television programs and movies. At the end of the day, they're just humans in funny-looking outfits.)

Similar problem here, perhaps. It's difficult to imagine a race that doesn't have genders, since so many lifeforms on Earth have them. Therefore, many alien races are perceived as having males and females. These races are further perceived as having human male and female physical characteristics so the reader/viewer can tell which aliens are male or female. All alien males find females (including human females, who aren't even their own species) physically attractive. (For a truly mystifying case of this, see Jabba the Hutt's treatment of Princess Leia. I really feel the skimpy costume in this case was Lucas pandering to the fanboys.)

I'm not saying that's acceptable, just perhaps the way the human mind works. I still think making Vision female, or giving it any gender characteristics at all, is rather pointless.

Seldes Katne said:
No, no, I'm really not going to go there. Steve GMan has already filled this page's quota for sexist comments. (Perhaps I shouldn't put my tire-iron away just yet, eh, DIrishB? :wink: )

Never put it away when dealing with this site, Seldes...those are words to post by for sure.

On a related note, however: one thing I've noticed, especially on the fanfic boards at TheForce.Net, is that human writers often have a difficult time creating alien intelligences that don't end up thinking and acting like a human in an alien suit. (You know, like those people who used to do costume work for SF television programs and movies. At the end of the day, they're just humans in funny-looking outfits.)

Thats one thing I have to give Star Wars, they had some totally whacked out, freaky looking aliens. Much more "alien" looking than any Vulcan or Klingon from Star Trek.

Its all in how well they can anti-relate (not a word I'm pretty sure, but the best I could think of as an opposite to "relate"). Its tough to think outside the sphere, in this case, as all we know about life is what we learned from our own planet. Why more SF TV/movies don't feature aliens that look like jellyfish, I'll never know.

Similar problem here, perhaps. It's difficult to imagine a race that doesn't have genders, since so many lifeforms on Earth have them. Therefore, many alien races are perceived as having males and females. These races are further perceived as having human male and female physical characteristics so the reader/viewer can tell which aliens are male or female. All alien males find females (including human females, who aren't even their own species) physically attractive. (For a truly mystifying case of this, see Jabba the Hutt's treatment of Princess Leia. I really feel the skimpy costume in this case was Lucas pandering to the fanboys.)

Nah, Lucas was pandering to me and me alone. If only that skimpy costume had included a thong...

I'm not saying that's acceptable, just perhaps the way the human mind works. I still think making Vision female, or giving it any gender characteristics at all, is rather pointless.

I agree. It should've turned into a marshmallow. That would've been a novel approach, if nothing else.

I've enjoyed these Vision bonus stories immensely so far. The only thing I don't like is how The Vision looks. If "she" looked like "she" originally did, this mini would be a nice background on what Gah Lak Tus is capable of.

Lynx said:
I've enjoyed these Vision bonus stories immensely so far. The only thing I don't like is how The Vision looks. If "she" looked like "she" originally did, this mini would be a nice background on what Gah Lak Tus is capable of.

Agreed on both counts. I don't get the complaint that nothing is happening in these stories...it's pretty obvious that it's not meant to advance the plot toward the arrival of Gah Lak Tus, rather to give a little back history. I like it and think it's well done. Much better than taking an issue and breaking it up into 6 parts, which is what I thought they were doing.

I dont see why everyone is so bothered about vision taking on a female look. Sure its pointless but it don't really matter. Everyone ust seems well annoyed about it. personally i dont mind it, it doesnt really bother me at all. Haven't read the story yet but i hate the fact that its in the back of the other damn titles. This whole upside down flippy thing just annoys me

AngryFlower said:
I dont see why everyone is so bothered about vision taking on a female look. Sure its pointless but it don't really matter. Everyone ust seems well annoyed about it. personally i dont mind it, it doesnt really bother me at all.
You know usually this where someone debates it and comes up with some type of reasoning as to why they don't mind it. You can clearly see why it bothers some of us. We've expressed ourselves enough on it.

Guij said:
Because it's ridiculous.
See. :twisted:

The Vision has to be a chick for story purposes. Silver Surfer Dude has been chasing her for eons so he can ask her out. SS isn't aware that Galactus is using him as a guide, because he can track the Vision.

So while the Vision is on a quest to warn civilizations, she's actually the object of the surfer's romantic fixation, which is leading to the Galacti roaches actually targeting the civilizations she's discovering to warn.

The irony. I'm frightened.

I'm actually liking this series and wish it were a separate mini. Not crazy about the art.

Last edited:
John Q. Public said:
The Vision has to be a chick for story purposes. Silver Surfer Dude has been chasing her for eons so he can ask her out. SS isn't aware that Galactus is using him as a guide, because he can track the Vision.

So while the Vision is on a quest to warn civilizations, she's actually the object of the surfer's romantic fixation, which is leading to the Galacti roaches actually targeting the civilizations she's discovering to warn.
That makes no sense at all, and therefore it is a possibility, considering the whole trilogy.

I think the backstory really tells us what we already know and, in the mean time, ruinis Vision as a character. 'It' doesn't do it for me. How can it go from what it was in Nightmare to having a history looking like a female? Blasted Millar, I would imagine...

Yeah, now I've been wondering. If it started going to the planets as a female version of the species, when it came to earth, why did it look like 616 Vision, only to go back to its female form? I mean, it said it turns into the planets version of whatever species is there before it got there, didnt it?

Or if I made a mistake there, than why did the planet before it came to earth, looked like a male robot, and not female?

Latest posts

Back