Ultimate X-Men #78 discussion (Spoilers)

To be honest, my first reaction was Cable took him to show him what had happened. Then I thought that somehow he saved himself and stowed away with Cable to the future. But I think the idea of him staying behind and leading everyone to think he's dead would work better.

Maybe Xavier has the ability to jump bodies (like his son) and he jumped into Cable while his original body was incinerated. So then Cable would be Xavier in Wolverine's future body.

To be honest, my first reaction was Cable took him to show him what had happened. Then I thought that somehow he saved himself and stowed away with Cable to the future. But I think the idea of him staying behind and leading everyone to think he's dead would work better.

So, the first idea left me with an image of A Christmas Carol with Xavier as Ebenezer and Cable as the Ghost of Christmas Future. That's a funny image.

The second idea left me with an image of Cable stepping into THUNDERDOME! future, with Xavier riding him piggy-back style. That's even funnier.

If this is multiple choice, I choose Xavier's dead.

I know he won't stay dead, but really...I'd rather him be all out dead.

I've been waiting for Scott to ball-up to Millar level, and this issue certainly accomplished that. The only negative side was the lack of answers- this arc could've been an issue longer, just for exposition on Cable and his future.

I can see Scott acting as leader against Apocalypse. Kirkman's starting to really rock out on this title.

Several reviewers seemed despaired over Colossus' "I WILL BREAK YOU." Personally, I could care less if that's a line from Rocky IV; it was Colossus kicking *** all-around.

Then again, reading the FF #542 letters where every letter but one reported the same mistake is influencing my comments on this.

I was upset that the editor chose that to be the "theme" of the letters page, because if they hadn't featured all those freakin' e-mails/letters/whatever mentioning the SAME THING, I'm pretty sure they would have featured my letter that I wrote regarding #541. In fact, I'm positive they would have; there was no criticism in it whatsoever. :p

But a group "lol" to that V guy. I couldn't even understand what he was asking for! Yeah, sure political correctness needs to be enforced, but this guy's demanding for it in all the wrong places and way too harshly. (Yes, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.)

No, I'm with you there. When I finished his letter I couldn't figure out what he was saying; it was all over the place.

I WILL BREAK YOU = awesome.

My prediction? Just like in The Last Stand, Xavier bodyhops... into Cable, just as he's about to make the jump.

Isn't the principal beauty of rewriting the X-men story that you can prevent holes in the continuity; that you can forshadow, and preplot and make the whole story work in advance?!!!

I think that there will not be alternate timelines in the Ultimate X-men universe... at least, not under Kirkman's watch. Because Kirkman knows the story, and can preplan it. I say that Xavier was whisked into the future with Cable, and replaced with Charred remains and that Bishop will soon explain that in his timeline they always thought Charles died around this point. I think Kirkman has it all planned out and it will be beautiful. Much like Bendis combing that whole 90's spidey clone debacle into a concise story, I think Kirkman will converge all the unweildy time travel elements of X-men into one simple whole.

AND!!! Why is no one as excited as I am about Bishop? The X-men have been being lead by this pansie-assed Xavier for TOO long! Now a hardened military mind will be their most senior and wise guide. Scott will further step up, and under Bishop's tutelage, the X-men will become a disciplined kick *** crew. Also, the knowledge of the future's dificulties will give them meaning and motivation to struggle and suffer in the present.

Also, re:Cable being Wolverine. I passionately want this to be so. What I would like better would be Cable to be Scott from the future (OMG!) or why not simply have him be Scott's son? It is SO plausible. He'd be smart enough to **** with Wolverine. Hell, it might be Wolverine who tells him in the future to do it.

1 timeline. Everything that happens here is what really happens. One future, and everything that happens really happens!

Last edited:
Isn't the principal beauty of rewriting the X-men story that you can prevent holes in the continuity; that you can forshadow, and preplot and make the whole story work in advance?!!!

I think that there will not be alternate timelines in the Ultimate X-men universe... at least, not under Kirkman's watch. Because Kirkman knows the story, and can preplan it. I say that Xavier was whisked into the future with Cable, and replaced with Charred remains and that Bishop will soon explain that in his timeline they always thought Charles died around this point. I think Kirkman has it all planned out and it will be beautiful. Much like Bendis combing that whole 90's spidey clone debacle into a concise story, I think Kirkman will converge all the unweildy time travel elements of X-men into one simple whole.

I have nothing to say about this, honestly.

See, this is why the Ultimate Universe will never end.

Much like Bendis combing that whole 90's spidey clone debacle into a concise story

Please. The only thing they had in common was the name. He didn't "comb" anything.

Please. The only thing they had in common was the name. He didn't "comb" anything.

Untrue, he combed his hair while reading through the original clone saga to see where he could make crap happen that the original didn't have. Also, i do like the idea that bishop will be the new leader.

Bear with me, guys, this is all fanboy conjecture.

Let's assume, for conjecture's sake, that Cable truly is Wolverine and no clone. He comes to the present with his pack o' mercenaries to kill Chuckles. By doing this, he will prevent something baaaad happening in the future. Or so he believes, since future-Bishop says he was once a great man who lost his way/is now out of touch with reality.

Many of you fans (certainly including me) fear that this will bring with it the concept of alternate timelines, something which bogged down the 616 universe (and in particular the X-books) with heavy continuity problems, or at the very least complications. However, there is a way out of this yet.

The "bad thing" that Xavier supposedly caused by his nasty little businesses on the side, as Cable so aptly put it, simply still happen due to Xavier's absence. Inaction can certainly lead to as much disaster as bad/malevolent/ignorant decision-making. I will leave this "bad thing" unnamed, since it's not really necessary for this kooky speculation.

So, following my "Xavier is now in Cable" theory, Xable (Cavier? Whatever, it's about as retarded as Gwarnage or Xorneto.) goes to the future to see whatever damaged world Cable and his mercenaries inhabit. Xavier doesn't even necessarily have to take over Cable's body. He can just act as some sort of "conscience" or whatever. Hey, if Betsy Braddock can do it...

He helps and inspires Cable and his men to become as great as the X-Men once were, and together they unite whoever are the future good guys against whoever are the future bad guys. The future is fixed within the future itself, so no alternate timeline. The past was changed, but the future still happened, like in that Denzel movie right before it got stupid.

In this scenario, you can easily bring Xavier back to the past since the good guys would be more than willing to help him out to find some comatose body for him to inhabit after his aiding them to victory, OR you could Xavier say "My work here is done, goodbyeeee!" as he does a Jedi-fader-awayer.

I would hope for Xavier to stay dead, since I kind of loathe "comic book death".

So there you have it, a dead-staying Xavier and no alternate timelines, at the expense of one arc set in the future.

I'm pretty sure it won't work out this way, btw. Too tidy for Marvel. Need loose ends, darnit!

P.S. For the supporters of "Cable is Dr. Cornelius' Wolverine clone, hence the lack of powers" => Cable does state he once did have a healing factor. I'm afraid they were setting up Ultimate X-23 with that "Wolverine of our own" line. Yeah, I know. :(

Latest posts

Back