Ultimates 3 #1-5 discussion [Loeb/Madureira] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimates 3 #1 spoiler/discussion

Sad, but true.

The only thing is that I liked the artwork. I liked it as just that: artwork. Unfortunately, as many have said, there is no flow to it. It's pretty to look at, but isn't suited to a comic book. Joe Mad's a good cover artist, but, really, I'll be glad to see him go after issue 5. Hopefully, McGuiness is still on board for Ultimates 4. Even if the story sucks, the artwork should be grand.

Last edited:

Sad, but true.

The only thing is that I liked the artwork. I liked it as just that: artwork. Unfortunately, as many have said, there is no flow to it. It's pretty to look at, but isn't suited to a comic book. Joe Mad's a good cover artist, but, really, I'll be glad to see him go after issue 5. Hopefully, McGuiness is still on board for Ultimates 4. Even if the story sucks, the artwork should be grand.

I honestly wonder what the hell Loeb was thinking with this. My God, man!

Loeb probably was thinking, "Everything I write is wonderful" just like the vast majority of writers out there. It's why we have Peter with amnesia in HEROES and why the crux of almost any JMS plot ends with the major characters talking each other to death.

Loeb thought, "This is great!", never gave it a third or fourth thought, and if anyone wanted to change it, they probably couldn't because Joe Mad had to have something to draw so it would be ready two years later. Once the ball started rolling, that was it.

Train wreck.

You know who came off the best in this issue? Black Panther, because he didn't say anything, he came off as the most intelligent character. Seriously the dialogue in this issue is beyond awful: Hot! Awesome! Do the Dew!

Just wait until Panther starts spewing Loeb's version of edgy anti-white racial hatred.

Oh God.

Of course, that is if Loeb has enough gray matter to not make Marvel's premiere black superhero into Steve Rogers.

Bad "edgy" anti-white racial hatred inspired dialogue may be the better of two evils. Because a later writer with skill and love could forge a better character out of that.

Without having read any of this thread, I'm going to tell you what I thought about Ultimates 3 #1.

Ultimates 3 #1, How You Make Me Vomit:
Let Me Count the Ways...

1. The team gathers to watch a Tony/Natasha sex tape for no discernible reason and then Venom randomly smashes through the wall for no discernible reason. My, what a poignant way to start a story.

2. Did they make all of Janet's dialog a tenth of an inch tall before? Because it's really ****ing annoying. We understand that she's tiny. Now please stop making me strain my eyes, the constant pr0n has ruined my vision.

3. "Hey what's up, I'm just wearing my mask and full costume. It's really comfortable, so I like to just wear it in casual situations, no matter how nonsensical and distracting it is. It's cuz I'm an Ultimate."

4. "And now I have something for you." "Enough." "I'll deal with butt-ugly." "Hot." "INSERT ACTION MOVIE CLICHE #47."

5. BLACK PANTHER!! WAIT, WHAT!?

6. VALKYRIE!! WAIT, WHAT!?

7. The One Good Thing About This Issue: "KARAKKAKA THOOM" is one of the best sound effects ever.

8. Thor. Doing Old-Timey Viking Speak. Wonderful.

9. And Valkyrie inexplicably not doing Old-Timey Viking Speak, but severely outdated Valley Girl talk. Even better.

10. "I'm Hawkeye and my family died, SO NOW I'M EXTREME!! TO THE MAXXX!! LOOK AT HOW BIG THIS GUN IS!!!"

11. When Millar wrote Wanda and Pietro, their sexual tension was a fun bit of suggested wacky perversion. Loeb just does full-on incest. I never thought I'd be calling the first two volumes of the Ultimates subtle...

12. "I'm Captain America and I'm from the past. STOP DRESSING LIKE A ****ING SLUT!! OLLDD!! GRUMBLEGRUMBLEGRUMBLE!"

13. Hank dies, I think. No one cares, since he doesn't actually show up at any other point in the issue.

14. Am I mistaken or did Quicksilver see a bullet coming, run away from it, and then run back along side it in order to catch up, instead of just running at the bullet that's flying at him? I guess I wouldn't be surprised, as he was stupid enough to think that he could stop a bullet with his hand. This ain't The Prestige, dumbass.

15. Joe Madureira should not be allowed to draw images in sequence. Because he can't actually do it. I've never had to stop so many times in an issue to figure out how I was supposed to be reading the panels. And is it me or did he just draw lots of X-TREME character shots and then hastily painted in some sparse backgrounds? Jesus Christ. People actually like this guy?

Yeah, so I'm assuming that this is what the 90s must have felt like. I finally feel like a real comic book fan.

A quote from the "Questions" thing in the back of the issue.

Joey Quesadilla said:
"I pay forward. In other words, I leave them in assorted places. Whether it be airport terminals, the train, doctor's offices, anywhere I finish a comic is where I leave it; you never know who may pick it up next."

Let's pray to god that he doesn't leave Ultimates 3 #1 anywhere. I heard that it's illegal in New Hampshire.

Last edited:

Without having read any of this thread, I'm going to tell you what I thought about Ultimates 3 #1.

Ultimates 3 #1, How You Make Me Vomit:
Let Me Count the Ways...

1. The team gathers to watch a Tony/Natasha sex tape for no discernible reason and then Venom randomly smashes through the wall for no discernible reason. My, what a poignant way to start a story.

2. Did they make all of Janet's dialog a tenth of an inch tall before? Because it's really ****ing annoying. We understand that she's tiny. Now please stop making me strain my eyes, the constant pr0n has ruined my vision.

3. "Hey what's up, I'm just wearing my mask and full costume. It's really comfortable, so I like to just wear it in casual situations, no matter how nonsensical and distracting it is. It's cuz I'm an Ultimate."

4. "And now I have something for you." "Enough." "I'll deal with butt-ugly." "Hot." "INSERT ACTION MOVIE CLICHE #47."

5. BLACK PANTHER!! WAIT, WHAT!?

6. VALKYRIE!! WAIT, WHAT!?

7. The One Good Thing About This Issue: "KARAKKAKA THOOM" is one of the best sound effects ever.

8. Thor. Doing Old-Timey Viking Speak. Wonderful.

9. And Valkyrie inexplicably not doing Old-Timey Viking Speak, but severely outdated Valley Girl talk. Even better.

10. "I'm Hawkeye and my family died, SO NOW I'M EXTREME!! TO THE MAXXX!! LOOK AT HOW BIG THIS GUN IS!!!"

11. When Millar wrote Wanda and Pietro, their sexual tension was a fun bit of suggested wacky perversion. Loeb just does full-on incest. I never thought I'd be calling the first two volumes of the Ultimates subtle...

12. "I'm Captain America and I'm from the past. STOP DRESSING LIKE A ****ING SLUT!! OLLDD!! GRUMBLEGRUMBLEGRUMBLE!"

13. Hank dies, I think. No one cares, since he doesn't actually show up at any other point in the issue.

14. Am I mistaken or did Quicksilver see a bullet coming, run away from it, and then run back along side it in order to catch up, instead of just running at the bullet that's flying at him? I guess I wouldn't be surprised, as he was stupid enough to think that he could stop a bullet with his hand. This ain't The Prestige, dumbass.

15. Joe Madureira should not be allowed to draw images in sequence. Because he can't actually do it. I've never had to stop so many times in an issue to figure out how I was supposed to be reading the panels. And is it me or did he just draw lots of X-TREME character shots and then hastily painted in some sparse backgrounds? Jesus Christ. People actually like this guy?

Yeah, so I'm assuming that this is what the 90s must have felt like. I finally feel like a real comic book fan.

A quote from the "Questions" thing in the back of the issue.

Let's pray to god that he doesn't leave Ultimates 3 #1 anywhere. I heard that it's illegal in New Hampshire.

Brilliant. Post of the Day.

Great point about Valkyrie not speaking old school. What the heck.

Am I mistaken or did Quicksilver see a bullet coming, run away from it, and then run back along side it in order to catch up, instead of just running at the bullet that's flying at him? I guess I wouldn't be surprised, as he was stupid enough to think that he could stop a bullet with his hand. This ain't The Prestige, dumbass.

I also noticed this. Why didn't he just move her.

Ah, Mooney. How I have missed your wisdom.
I am the wisest of the Wisemen.

*frankensense*
I also noticed this. Why didn't he just move her.
Yeah, I'm not sure which one is to blame: Loeb's convoluted writing or Madureira's bewildering art.

Last edited:

It's Loeb.

Mad's work can be clear.

Loeb's is always mystifyingly stupid.

So, now that its been a few days and things have started to sunk in, I think I understand what's going on.

You know how in Ultimates 1 and 2, the first arc of each had an Ultimate member as the antagonist? Hulk in Volume 1 and Thor in Volume 2?

I think Scarlet Witch is the main antagonist here. And all of the wacky changes (Thor's accent, Valkyerie's powers, Wasp's leadership, Hawkeye's insanity, and the appearance of Venom and the Brotherhood as the villains), are due to her powers. This is touched upon in. . .*cringes* Ultimate Power when she discusses the possibility that the original Squadron Supreme's appearance may be due to her. And considering Loeb wrote both that and Ultimates 3 and they tie together, all leading to Ultimatum, it seems logical.

Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize it all, but there has to be an explanation for all of this and that's the only thing that I can think of that would make this make any sense.

Last edited:

In retrospect, that doesn't seem like a bad idea.

But I doubt that Loeb could pull it off. Bendis couldn't.

In retrospect, that doesn't seem like a bad idea.

But I doubt that Loeb could pull it off. Bendis couldn't.

No, it doesn't. It doesn't make the issue good, but it does make it make more sense (If that's what he's doing).

As for pulling it off, no, I have no faith that he can. Especially in only 4 more issues. But, hey, maybe he'll surprise us. Maybe.

Latest posts

Back