Ultimates 3 #1-5 discussion [Loeb/Madureira] [spoilers]

Re: The Ultimates 3 #4 discussion (spoilers).

It is. It is awful. Honestly I think Super-Pro was better. It is really only morbid curiosity that is keeping me buying at this point. But I am not buying U4. Marvel really needs to see the sales of this crapola go down. But due to people like...well, me, they are not seeing that.

They think this book is great cuz it is selling. *sigh*

Then don't buy it?

I mean otherwise Marvel wont think there's a problem.

Yeah, I just read it. Yeah.

I really ****ing hope Marvel is smart enough to not allow Loeb to write Ultimates 4. Seriously. Robots!

Jesus, Cylons in the Ultimate universe, now!

**** you, Loeb.

The thing is...I don't think Secret Invasion is capitalizing enough on the whole 'who's a skrull' thing. See, I think the problem there is that a whole universe has to play along when in order to keep things straight and build proper tension it all needs to be in one book.

Ultimates could do the evil Ultron robots or even Skrulls and use it in a far better way and tell a better story since it's just a smaller group of people wondering who's not themselves.

The Problems with U3's take on it is that it's:

1- Following U2's who's the betrayer storyline.
2- It's Ri-*******-diculous!

Oh God, this is going to involve Magneto destroying the Ultron Ultimates single-handed, then be all "ha ha, I'm evil and I saved your butts"

Dang it.

Also, I don't expect it to happen, but at the very least, Loeb should verify what's the deal with Venom.

Holy ****, I'd totally forgotten Venom tied into any of this steaming pile of ****.

It won't be. Ultimatum will be how it 'wraps up'.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yep!

Marvel wanted to fix the Ultimate Universe with Loeb. Then we hear Loeb wants to end the universe...he's done a good job at that so far and all of this nonsense will lead into Ultimatum which will be the final nail in the 'I can't believe they published this' casket for the UU.

Seriously, any one of us could have done a far better U3.

During conventions, why is it that no one at Marvel panels just goes ape-**** and tell these guys they're doing a ****ty job?

because it's hard to ***** when your lips are on someone's ***.

There is nothing wrong with robots in theory, because 616 stories like Ultron Unleashed are very good. Loeb is just a bad writer who can't do anything with the concept.

Fair enough. And we've seen Robots (giant ones in fact) in the form of sentinels. My gripe wasn't even that use of robots, so I misspoke. Really, I was horrified at the lack of reason, foreshadowing, or any semblance of pulling off the idea in the book so far. So, yes, you're absolutely right...Loeb sucks and just failed in pulling off the idea. So far, everything in this book seems as if its been done without any thought behind it whatsoever.

Oh God, this is going to involve Magneto destroying the Ultron Ultimates single-handed, then be all "ha ha, I'm evil and I saved your butts"

Dang it.

Also, I don't expect it to happen, but at the very least, Loeb should verify what's the deal with Venom.

You mean other than a pointless, completely random cameo? I though thats what Loeb was going for. It seems to be happening an awful lot with this book. In fact, it pretty much summarized the characterization of just about every character in Ultimates 3.

Totally.

This sounds worse than Ultimate Iron Man. Worse than the first Mighty Avengers arc.

I will be downloading this as soon as I see it available.

Its so much worse than Ultimate Iron Man. Seriously.

Good art.
Abortion of a story.

The latter half of that I completely agree with.

Ultimates 3 - An abortion of a story.

I like it!

During conventions, why is it that no one at Marvel panels just goes ape-**** and tell these guys they're doing a ****ty job?

I've been pondering the same thing. Why hasn't someone ****ing flipped out on Joe Q or Loeb at one of the cons by now? I mean, I'm not saying hurt or threaten the guys, but someone should let him know just how much Ultimates 3 sucks balls.

I've been pondering the same thing. Why hasn't someone ****ing flipped out on Joe Q or Loeb at one of the cons by now? I mean, I'm not saying hurt or threaten the guys, but someone should let him know just how much Ultimates 3 sucks balls.
Because everyone knows what they're gonna say, something that they actually have a point:

The issues are still selling.

And if the issues are selling, why would they stop? People are buying the issues, so they have no reason to stop. Quesada has said this before, I believe when he had his weekly column on Newsarama: "At the end of the day, fans vote with their money."

Not an exact quote, but it's close enough. But it is true. People say they don't like something, but they keep buying it. And if it keeps selling issue after issue, Marvel is just going to think, "Well, they must want to keep reading if they're getting everything."

So, I bet the last issue will just have the Ultimates fighting Ultron with the explanation "He's an evil robot Pym created" and then have Magneto giving some sort of stupid ultimatum.

Because everyone knows what they're gonna say, something that they actually have a point:

The issues are still selling.

And if the issues are selling, why would they stop? People are buying the issues, so they have no reason to stop. Quesada has said this before, I believe when he had his weekly column on Newsarama: "At the end of the day, fans vote with their money."

Not an exact quote, but it's close enough. But it is true. People say they don't like something, but they keep buying it. And if it keeps selling issue after issue, Marvel is just going to think, "Well, they must want to keep reading if they're getting everything."

True. But a perfect counter question to his answer of "fans keep buying Ultimates 3" is:

"Fans kept buying Ultimates 1 & 2 as well, and at the same time raved about the art and storylines. Ultimates 3, while selling well, is being panned across the board by fans and critics. As an EIC, are you content with putting out a sub-standard product in your customers' eyes as long as you're making money?"

I'd like to see how he answers that.

True. But a perfect counter question to his answer of "fans keep buying Ultimates 3" is:

"Fans kept buying Ultimates 1 & 2 as well, and at the same time raved about the art and storylines. Ultimates 3, while selling well, is being panned across the board by fans and critics. As an EIC, are you content with putting out a sub-standard product in your customers' eyes as long as you're making money?"

I would love to see how he does.

Unfortunately, he'll find a way around it. That's his mutant power. :(

Well, what's the qualifications for a sub-standard product? People actually buying the book or a (relatively) small group of fans *****ing about it online? He could argue that the sales of books like Ultimates allow the fiscal flexibility to keep putting out books which are of a higher caliber but don't necessarily sell well.

Or he could point out that Marvel is a business, and "quality" is simply just another word for "demand"

Last edited:

Well, what's the qualifications for a sub-standard product? People actually buying the book or a (relatively) small group of fans *****ing about it online? He could argue that the sales of books like Ultimates allow the fiscal flexibility to keep putting out books which are of a higher caliber but don't necessarily sell well.

Or he could point out that Marvel is a business, and "quality" is simply just another word for "demand"
SEE!

ZOMG! ZOMBIPANDA IS JOE QUESADA!!

HE'S BEEN PLAYING US ALL ALONG!! :crazy:

I would love to see how he does.

Unfortunately, he'll find a way around it. That's his mutant power. :(

He is an editor and business man, after all. Deftly weasling out of a question you don't want to answer is an important factor in that job, I think. Maybe not as much as it is for a politician, but certainly moreso than most professions.

SEE!

ZOMG! ZOMBIPANDA IS JOE QUESADA!!

HE'S BEEN PLAYING US ALL ALONG!! :crazy:

I can't believe you guys never figured it out.

My name is really just an anagram for "Zambia pond". Zambia is geographically on the same continent as Wakanda, which houses the Black Panther, who is a Marvel Knights hero. And I started the Marvel Knights line.

How could you guys have NOT figured that out?

Wow.

I just read all the spoilers and complaints, so I'm not going to buy this issue for sure now. THIS IS STUPID. I HATE JEPH LOEB!

Quesada needs to fire this guy from writing Ultimates, at least. Dock him down to writing Marvel Adventures books for the kids. Or maybe he can write replies for the letter column of Spider Man Loves Mary Jane.

Again... THIS IS STUPID!

Wow.

I just read all the spoilers and complaints, so I'm not going to buy this issue for sure now. THIS IS STUPID. I HATE JEPH LOEB!

Quesada needs to fire this guy from writing Ultimates, at least. Dock him down to writing Marvel Adventures books for the kids. Or maybe he can write replies for the letter column of Spider Man Loves Mary Jane.

Again... THIS IS STUPID!

You can't blame him. He's just a tulpa created by Tim Sale.

Wow.

Again... THIS IS STUPID!

Dude. Marvel Adventures are awesome. Don't wish Loeb on them.

The 'Marvel doesn't care because the issues are selling' argument has some merit, but isn't/can't be entirely true.

If I were allowed to write Harry Potter books, they'd sell millions, and I'd be rich. If some fancy artist illustrated pages, and we numbered 100 000 of the books and called them 'special edition second printings', I'd sell multiple copies to people.

They'd still suck.

And so the owners of the Harry Potter properties would start thinking - just imagine if we'd put the exact same investment into this, but had an author that was good! Then the franchise would go on even longer, and we'd make even more money. All of JK Rowling's (Millar's) fans who LOVED the original will eventually stop buying crap stories about the characters they USED to love, and then it will be IMPOSSIBLE to re-start this franchise.

Loeb = money
good writer = money + future money (+, though incidentally, credibility)

I think Marvel sees this.

Ok, hang me for treason, but I didn't hate this issue. I am actually (morbidly) curious to see how this plays out.

Latest posts

Back