Ultimatum series discussion [spoilers]

They killed Thor. . .?

I'm speechless. I mean. . .just. . .

Wow. The rest of the stuff is bad (Especially the Giant Man/Blob/Wasp thing), but THEY KILLED THOR TO SAVE VALKYRIE?!

E. Did you burn those comic yet? You really should get on that. Like. . .yesterday.

I wish Mark Millar was writing this and it was like the conclusion to all of his work in the Ultimate Universe - especially since he's written The Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. Millar writing Magneto finally executing his final plan would be pretty awesome. It would be like his last UXM arc meets Morrison's Planet X arc from New X-Men times one thousand or something.

They killed Thor. . .?

I'm speechless. I mean. . .just. . .

Wow. The rest of the stuff is bad (Especially the Giant Man/Blob/Wasp thing), but THEY KILLED THOR TO SAVE VALKYRIE?!

E. Did you burn those comic yet? You really should get on that. Like. . .yesterday.

well they didn't really kill Thor
Valkyrie was dead so Thor went to Valhalla to get her back. Hella the goddess of the underworld (i'm guessing that's what she is at least) told Thor he could have her back if he defeated her undead army but it would come at a price. Cap inexplicably shows up (b/c he was in coma and close to dying i guess) and the two of them fight the undead army. Cap complains that there are too many of them but then two panels later they defeat them. Hella tells Thor to bring Valkyrie back to life, someone will have to replace her. Cap says he'll do it, but then it cuts back to the Triskelion and Valkyrie's alive and Cap wakes up and says Thor sacrificed himself to save Valkyrie. So he never actually dies, he's just in Valhalla.

I'm sure he'll be back.

but yeah, the whole thing is aweful

He'll be back.

Frank Cho's pencils for the cover to Ultimates 4 has them fighting orcs with Thor. Obviously, they go back into Hell to hit the big reset button housed there.

I realy wish i hadn't read this.

Last edited:
As if it's not bad enough that the heroes are all being killed off like... I dunno, civilians or something, They're now just pointlessly committing suicide, starting with Yeloowjacket and Thor. They're not even trying. Maybe they couldn't stand to be involved in something so badly written any longer.

Oh, and Captain Britain and the entire Eurohero community just stand there and get blown up. By the way, Loeb, the Houses of Parliament are slightly better protected than just by a bewhiskered 19th-century bobby with a nightstick. Ever heard of the SAS?

'The Jocasta Project' : wasn't Jocasta a cyborg imprinted with The Wasp's personality, 616 Avengers circa 1980?

As if it's not bad enough that the heroes are all being killed off like... I dunno, civilians or something, They're now just pointlessly committing suicide, starting with Yeloowjacket and Thor. They're not even trying. Maybe they couldn't stand to be involved in something so badly written any longer.

Seriously. They're just dying to die.
I mean, why the **** didn't the madrox dupes just blow themselves up right there, in front of the triskellion? Why did they attack in a mob? Why was Iron Man carrying two away instead of just razing them with his beams?
WHY DID THEY ALL CLIMB ONTO YELLOWJACKET AND THEN WAIT UNTIL HE WAS OUT TO SEA TO BLOW UP WHEN FAR MORE COLLATERAL DAMAGE WOULD'VE BEEN CAUSED HAD THEY EXPLODED RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE ****ING BUILDING?

THIS STORY IS SO NONSENSICAL IT HURTS.

I know, guys. When Yellowjacket died, the sheer stupidity of the scene made me realise that Loeb just could not have spent more than 5 minutes writing it. He wrote the issue on the date of the deadline, from start to finish, in one sitting, without a single bit of editing.

There is simply no way a story this inherently stupid and poorly written could've been written by a man who had the slightest bit of actual consideration and thought for his work.

He's just hacking it out.

Oh, and Captain Britain and the entire Eurohero community just stand there and get blown up. By the way, Loeb, the Houses of Parliament are slightly better protected than just by a bewhiskered 19th-century bobby with a nightstick. Ever heard of the SAS?

You're the first Englishman I've automatically liked, merely because of this statement (yeah, I'm easy).

Seriously, though, its insulting. Jesus, Loeb.

Anyway, welcome to the site!

Thanks guys! I was actually around and posting here a while back, somewhere mid- Ultimates 2, I think. Then I stopped, cos to be honest I found a lot of people here were too cynical- I'd read an issue of, say, USM, really enjoy it, and then log on here and everyone would be slagging it off. So I stopped coming by. And then... I came back. Because you were right all along. And I needed to know I wasn't alone in finding the Ult. comics increasingly so brainachingly, heartbreakingly bad. In a world where the Ultimate Hulk annual exists, there can be no such thing as 'too cynical.'

Thanks guys! I was actually around and posting here a while back, somewhere mid- Ultimates 2, I think. Then I stopped, cos to be honest I found a lot of people here were too cynical- I'd read an issue of, say, USM, really enjoy it, and then log on here and everyone would be slagging it off. So I stopped coming by. And then... I came back. Because you were right all along. And I needed to know I wasn't alone in finding the Ult. comics increasingly so brainachingly, heartbreakingly bad. In a world where the Ultimate Hulk annual exists, there can be no such thing as 'too cynical.'

:rockon:

'The Jocasta Project' : wasn't Jocasta a cyborg imprinted with The Wasp's personality, 616 Avengers circa 1980?

You are correct about Jocasta. She was a robot, but otherwise dead on.

Completely agreed.

Sometimes I think Marvel just hired Loeb to justify our cynicism.

That should totally become the tag-line of this site.

You are correct about Jocasta. She was a robot, but otherwise dead on.

Completely agreed.

Sometimes I think Marvel just hired Loeb to justify our cynicism.

They should make that a comic. Call it Ultimate Justification.

and didn't Jocasta recently make a comeback in 616?

I'm upset our cynicism stopped you from coming here. I feel bad. :(

I started a "Darth Ultimatum" series discussion for all the hatin' so those who liked it could actually gab about LIKING the comic. But it didn't really take. People come here first.

I'm very glad you came back. :)

Post of the Day.

Welcome back. :D

Post of the Day.

Welcome back. :D

Woo! And indeed, hoo!

Actually I just realised that Madrox blowing up Parliament happened in UXM, not Ultimatum, but I read them back to back and missed the join... my point still stands, but I guess I can't actually hang that one on Loeb. Sorry, got carried away there.

Latest posts

Back