Ultimatum series discussion [spoilers]

I stopped. I figured since it is awful there is no reason to keep reading. Even for free it isn't worth it. Especially since all it does is sh*t all over what were once great comics.

There are a lot of books out there that I enjoy. I figure I stick to them and then there is no anger in my beloved hobby.

Check back in with the Ultimate verse around April or May. Millar's Ultimate Avengers will bring the universe back to its golden age. The cancelling of UXM and UFF ongoings is interesting, and I assume will lead to occasional minis featuring those characters, which will hopefully be decent reads in their own right. UXM and UFF certainly haven't been, for a long time. Quality story-telling used to exist in the Ultimate universe, and hopefully can return on a permanent basis with UA and other possible minis. I'm really looking forward to 2009.

And the one thing I'm looking forward to in Ultimatum is (hopefully) as much destructon of Loeb's existing plot-lines as possible. Its time to take an eraser to the chalkboard of Loeb's ****ty Ultimate titles, with a righteous fury!!...and hopefully in some sense Ultimatum will live up to that in some degrees. I'm certain Millar will fix or ignore any others. Ah, GLORIOUS!!!!

Last edited:
Check back in with the Ultimate verse around April or May. Millar's Ultimate Avengers will bring the universe back to its golden age. The cancelling of UXM and UFF ongoings is interesting, and I assume will lead to occasional minis featuring those characters, which will hopefully be decent reads in their own right. UXM and UFF certainly haven't been, for a long time. Quality story-telling used to exist in the Ultimate universe, and hopefully can return on a permanent basis with UA and other possible minis. I'm really looking forward to 2009.

And the one thing I'm looking forward to in Ultimatum is (hopefully) as much destructon of Loeb's existing plot-lines as possible. Its time to take an eraser to the chalkboard of Loeb's ****ty Ultimate titles, with a righteous fury!!...and hopefully in some sense Ultimatum will live up to that in some degrees. I'm certain Millar will fix or ignore any others. Ah, GLORIOUS!!!!

Loeb is sticking around the Ultimate universe though. Hopefully his sales on Ultimates 4 will reflect his storytelling.

Loeb is sticking around the Ultimate universe though. Hopefully his sales on Ultimates 4 will reflect his storytelling.

I'm not so sure he'll be sticking around much longer. I'd honestly be surprised if Ultimates 4 happens with Loeb. Its possible contractual obligations might mean Loeb has to work on it, or Marvel has to let him, etc. If thats not the case, Marvel would be smart to look elsewhere.

See people always say that but then his work always sells. How about NOT picking it up?

Hello! I just had a look at Ultimatum #1, the first Ultimates comic I've read in yonks!

The last page says "Next: It gets worse".

I miss good superhero comics :(

I'll hold you and stroke your hair. But it's OK, though! Remember when Loki was the bad guy? Remember that? Those were good days, it can come back… oh, it's no use, it's just no damn use…

:(

At least it can't get worse.

*looks at the last page of Ultimatum 1*

Yes it can! :cry: :cry:

You know, maybe Loeb isn't such a bad guy after all... All this talk of "It Gets Worse" made me think about it from a different perspective. Maybe Loeb isn't just talking about things getting worse for the heroes of the UU. Maybe he's giving us all a fair warning that the next issue is going to suck even worse than #1.

Then the angry part of me thinks that this could just be some reverse-psychology trick by Loeb to make us all think "If it gets worse for the heroes, maybe it gets better for the reader!".

Still not buying it. (Reading it, yes, but only so I can be the one to tell you all how bad it sucks when it comes out!)

The "It Gets Worse" tag certainly wasn't much of a spoiler. Of course it'll get worse...Loeb can only fit so much horribleness into a first issue. He's still only human--an evil, soul-less one--but yes, still human. Remember how bad Ultimates 3 #1 was? And then remember how much worse it got with each issue?

:(

- Dazzler (in issue #1)
- Professor X (in issue #2)
- Dr. Strange (in issue #3)
- Hank Pym (in issue #4)
- Wolverine (in issue #5)

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

I guess the better way of saying this would be
1) Who cares?
2) Dangling plot threads anyone?
3) Squandered potential!!
4) Again, who cares?