Avengers Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender (spoilers!)

Preview pages for #11 had a panel with Magneto with hair, but reading the issue he didn't have it. Anyone else also had him without it?

I only see what I think is him in one panel toward the end, and he doesn't have hair.

Is he supposed to?

I only see what I think is him in one panel toward the end, and he doesn't have hair.

Is he supposed to?
No, he's bald now. And yeah, it was just one panel towards the end. But the previews shown on sites before the issue came out had him with hair, which was weird.

No, he's bald now. And yeah, it was just one panel towards the end. But the previews shown on sites before the issue came out had him with hair, which was weird.

That's weird. He's not the focal point of the panel in question; he's just kind of there.

There's so much story with this that as long as they aren't going to keep Acuna on full time I'd like to see something like they are doing on Avengers and just have a rotation of artists so they could put the book out twice a month.

Yeah, I'd really prefer this to be one of the double shipping books.

I really love all of this, but every month I feel like I read two pages of a really intricately plotted novel. I'm basically just waiting for the whole arc to be finished so I can sit down and read it all in one go.

I was about to post about how this really is hard to read one month at a time, but apparently I said that back in September.

Last edited:
Are the issues really coming out once a month? It feels like months and months apart. I keep thinking, "I'm behind on Uncanny Avengers!" when I actually read the previous issue the month before.

Yeah, they are are coming out monthly, but I feel the same way. I think the problem is that Remender didn't even try to write these serially. Each issue is a few pages out of the greater story. You can feel the tapestry being woven, but each month you're only given a little more of the thread that he's weaving in and that thread doesn't have any value on its own. There is no story to the individual issues and no way to enjoy them by themselves.

That said, I really want to read the whole thing when the story arc is completed.

Last edited:
Yeah, they are are coming out monthly, but I feel the same way. I think the problem is that Remender didn't even try to write these serially. Each issue is a few pages out of the greater story. You can feel the tapestry being woven, but each month you're only given a little more of the thread that he's weaving in and that thread doesn't have any value on its own. There is no story to the individual issues and no way to enjoy them by themselves.

That said, I really want to read the whole thing when the story arc is completed.
I'm not having that problem. The issues just feel like they are coming out months apart. It has nothing to do with the story itself for me.

There is no story to the individual issues and no way to enjoy them by themselves.

Vey strongly disagreed. They will (and do) read better as collected editions but to say that they aren't enjoyable as individual issues...no way.

#14 was great, as usual. I was kind of dreading the McNiven issues because I really think Acuña is a perfect fit on this book, but I think the overall style McNiven used worked as a sort of continuation to what Acuña was doing. It wasn't a huge, drastic change and it looked great.

As for the story...Rogue has Wolverine's powers so she probably isn't dead. Simon can exist (or does exist) as pure ionic energy, right? So there's no reason to believe he's actually dead. And Scarlet Witch...who knows with her powers. But still a great story.

Vey strongly disagreed. They will (and do) read better as collected editions but to say that they aren't enjoyable as individual issues...no way.

I just find myself confused every month. I forget what's going on, I don't know how all the threads are coming together.

Maybe I need to sit down and read it from beginning to end before the next issue comes out to give myself a refresher of what's going on. I didn't read Remender's Uncanny X-Force until it was almost finished, so I didn't have this problem before.

Deaf Cap was funny last month, by the way.

I just find myself confused every month. I forget what's going on, I don't know how all the threads are coming together.

Maybe I need to sit down and read it from beginning to end before the next issue comes out to give myself a refresher of what's going on. I didn't read Remender's Uncanny X-Force until it was almost finished, so I didn't have this problem before.

Deaf Cap was funny last month, by the way.

Maybe, but even though there is a lot going on (and I tend to forget things that I read in comics a LOT) I'm not having that problem with this book.

Some of the confusion is intentional. All of the sudden Red Skull appears looking like Onslaught then we don't hear or see anything about that at all.

The only confusion I really have is in regards to the seven timelines because I know that ties into some previous story that I haven't read and don't really know anything about.

It also doesn't help that this is picking up plot threads planted by Bendis years ago which I've forgotten about.

REMENDER'S "UNCANNY AVENGERS" JOURNEYS THROUGH TIME & SPACE

Rick Remender's most recent issue of "Uncanny Avengers" had a lot of references to the vast continuity of the Marvel Universe -- including shout-outs to "Earth X", 2099 and even Remender's own work on "Uncanny X-Force" -- and the end of "Uncanny X-Force" #14 certainly left a lot up in the air for fans to speculate about. With "Uncanny Avengers" #15 scheduled to hit stores December 18, there are a lot of unanswered questions -- fortunately, Remender and Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort were on hand for a special press conference call to discuss the future direction of "Uncanny Avengers," the plan and rationale behind spanning the time/space continuum of the Marvel U, the fate of certain members of Havok's Unity Squad and more.

Standard cover for #18 by Acuna
Uncanny-Avengers-18-NOW-Cover-3b5a0.jpg

variant for #18 by In-Hyuk Lee
Uncanny-Avengers-18-NOW-Lee-Variant-b5101.jpg

the end of "Uncanny X-Force" #14 certainly left a lot up in the air for fans to speculate about. With "Uncanny Avengers" #15 scheduled to hit stores December 18

They mean, "the end of 'Uncanny Avengers #14' certainly left a lot up in the air…" right?

I really liked the references to the 2099 and Earth X universes. I like the idea of tying in these older existing alternate realities with multiple reality-spanning story.

Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW!
RICK REMENDER (W) • DANIEL ACUÑA (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY IN-HYUK LEE
DEADPOOL VARIANT BY ROB GUILLORY
ANIMAL VARIANT BY KATIE COOK
CAPTAIN AMERICA VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
"AVENGE THE EARTH" Part One
Welcome to Planet X, the new mutant homeworld, where everything is great—presuming that you possess the mutant gene! Janet Van Dyne, the Wasp, is the last human being alive, relentlessly pursued by Magneto and his All-New X-Force and their "No More Humans" campaign, and protected by her husband, Havok! Witness the fate of the Uncanny Avengers--who survived the Apocalypse Twins' plot, and how?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Really glad to see the return of Daniel Acuna. Story sounds great. I'm really excited for this book - it's so consistently good.

Latest posts

Back