V for Vendetta movie discussion

ultimatedjf said:

Did you think I was serious? People state they're being sarcastic, but they can't tell when someone else does it.

Geez.

Still one of the best comic movies I've ever seen.

Probably *the* best.

I get that Alan Moore was pissed that it was "modernized" and he has every right to be, but it made it a lot better *film* than if they had tried to adapt the comic exactly.

I think Batman Begins was much better...

The movie still doesn't sit well with me, because it takes from the source and comes out with a completely different message that ignores the much more powerful message of the book.

It's still a good movie, and the casting was perfect... But I can't watch and enjoy it. I've seen it five times since it came out on DVD, and each time afterwards I have to explain to everybody why the original is just soooo much better than the film adaptation.

I just think that if the Wachowskis wanted to make a story about Left-Wing Democracy versus Right Wing Conservatism, they should have done something original, rather than take one of the best works of Comic Fiction in the 20th Century and change the message to suit them.

But still, its a good movie, but I think if they wanted to adapt it, they should have stuck with the original ending, with the single embodiment of Anarchy, rather than everyone wearing V Masks as if it represents the will of the people, which is not what Guy Fawkes masks mean at all. Speaking o f which, they should have also played down the Guy Fawkes thing. Guy Fawkes was a terrorist who wanted to kill the queen to get England back under the power of the Pope. V in the comic used the mask as a means of fear to intimidate the power... It was a symbol of anarchy, not a tribute to the actual Guy Fawkes (who's only mentioned once or twice in the Graphic Novel). And it makes the film pretty ****ing rediculous, because V is intelligent, he would know that, like he knew that in the comic...

I also love the biggest departure from the original to the movie.

Original - "Despite all our testing and experiments, the man in room five is still human"
Movie - "Because of all our testing and experiments, the man in room five is now superhuman"

That's a guess at the actual line, because my copy of V is at home, and I don't care enough about the movie to own it. Its actually much more amusing... They only change one or two words in the sentence recounting V's time in the concentration camp, turning V into some sort of superhero... No. He's a Human. That's what makes what he does remarkable, because he could be any one of us. He's skilled, he doesn't have ****ing superspeed or ****ing superstrength. He is just like us...

One or Two words, completely changing V's character into something rediculous, and totally breaking my suspension of disbelief. The original was dystopian, sure, but it made sense because it all COULD happen. No medical testing at a concentration camp is going to give anybody superpowers.

Now I'm ranting, but that's what bothers me about this movie... It changes so much for no reason... Changes relationships utterly...like making Stephen Fry's character Gay, rather than Evee's love interest, so that they could pull off some sort of relationship between V and Evee... Even though one of the most compelling parts of the book are those few moments where you wonder whether he's her father... But in the end it doesn't matter, he's supposed to be a father figure to her. A Mentor, not a Lover. Then at the end she becomes him. She becomes V. She doesn't ****ing lead a revolution, V is supposed to wake everybody up, not take everybody by the neck and show them the future SHE wants/HE wanted. Grah

I need to stop myself, because its a good movie, but as I said, I simply cannot, and will not ever be able to enjoy it. It could have been a MUCH better movie, and it wasn't. It took short cuts. It had a much weaker message. It changed things that didn't need to be changed.

I've tried to like it, and to an extent I do... But I can't respect it... And it just came out as another disapointment from the Wachowskis that I hope they can overcome in the Speed Racer movie (though I suspect that they won't be able to get something right until they make something that's purely their own again).

You read it here, folks.

Reading is for homos; Real men don't need fancy words or the grammars when they have Pictures and Women (and Pictures of Women)

tmyk.jpg

This might be my favorite thing that I have ever posted on this board. I don't even remember posting it.

I also love the biggest departure from the original to the movie.

Original - "Despite all our testing and experiments, the man in room five is still human"
Movie - "Because of all our testing and experiments, the man in room five is now superhuman"

That's a guess at the actual line, because my copy of V is at home, and I don't care enough about the movie to own it. Its actually much more amusing... They only change one or two words in the sentence recounting V's time in the concentration camp, turning V into some sort of superhero... No. He's a Human. That's what makes what he does remarkable, because he could be any one of us. He's skilled, he doesn't have ****ing superspeed or ****ing superstrength. He is just like us...

Doc.... what are you talking about? What about when he kills that guy by punching right through his chest with his index finger? In fact, wasn't the whole point of the experiments in the GN to create a supersoldier serum, and V is the only one who it worked on instead of killed? He absolutely has those ****ing powers, he uses them several times. If anything, he displays far more superhuman feats in the GN than in the movie, where I can't really think of anything he does that a peak human wouldn't be capable of.

One or Two words, completely changing V's character into something rediculous, and totally breaking my suspension of disbelief. The original was dystopian, sure, but it made sense because it all COULD happen. No medical testing at a concentration camp is going to give anybody superpowers.

So how come this didn't ruin the GN for you too?

Somebody with a copy that isn't over 500 miles away post the one line in the comic that deals with this. Its in the chapter that explains what happened in the concentration camp, via that lady's diary. Not an approximation. The Exact line.

I'm not going to deal in hypotheticals. I remember checking this multiple times. Once I had the book in my lap when I watched the movie.

Last edited:
I just looked through the chapter and I can't find any specific line like that.

Somebody with a copy that isn't over 500 miles away post the one line in the comic that deals with this. Its in the chapter that explains what happened in the concentration camp, via that lady's diary. Not an approximation. The Exact line.

I'm not going to deal in hypotheticals. I remember checking this multiple times. Once I had the book in my lap when I watched the movie.

Doc, in the GN, V punches through a human ribcage with a single finger. I don't remember the line you're talking about being in the story, but even if it is, you can't argue that the V of the book has superhuman abilities. All the line being there would do is expose a continuity error.

Why are you so determined to hate the movie?

I just looked through the chapter and I can't find any specific line like that.

:shifty:

Doc, in the GN, V punches through a human ribcage with a single finger. I don't remember the line you're talking about being in the story, but even if it is, you can't argue that the V of the book has superhuman abilities. All the line being there would do is expose a continuity error.

I actually don't remember that happening, but *shrug*. I'll see if I can find a copy in the Library, but I don't care. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't read it straight-through since just after the movie came out, but I've never gotten the impression V was superhuman.

I love how you picked ONE critique and dismiss it, as if it completely invalidates everything I said.

I even said its a good movie, I just can't enjoy it. Why are you taking this personally. YOU didn't make the movie.

I don't like the idea that V is a superhero either. It just feels out of place with the overall tone and feeling of the story.

I love how you picked ONE critique and dismiss it, as if it completely invalidates everything I said.

As if it...? I never said it invalidated anything. Most of your points are very valid, and I completely understand why you can't enjoy the movie.

Most of what you said is also opinion-based stuff and can't really be argued with in the first place. The only reason I even bothered to say anything is because it looked like one of the fact-based crtiques you made was incorrect, so it seems like you were looking for another reason to jab the movie. That's why that was the only thing I commented on, and I never said anything about it invalidating your whole review.

Why are you taking this personally. YOU didn't make the movie.

We're not allowed to defend things we like unless we made them? I'm not taking anything personally, DSF. You're criticizing one of my favourite films, I find part of your critique to be unfair and even untrue, of course I'm going to say something about it. That's sort of the point of this entire website. You don't see me saying "Why you can't enjoy the movie? You didn't write the book.".

Edit:
I don't like the idea that V is a superhero either. It just feels out of place with the overall tone and feeling of the story.

Shame Moore put that in there then. It's a good thing the Wachowskis managed to downplay it.:D

Last edited:
Shouldn't have said the taking it personally thing, sorry. But I'm Not going to continue a pointless argument until I can prove I'm right, or even that i'm not.

Last edited:
When does V punch through the ribcage with his finger, by the way? While I've got the copy out, I guess I should see it.

Latest posts

Back