Warren Ellis Is In This Thread, Rubbing Himself On Your Face

Re: Warren Ellis

I just read the first chapter to his new novel "Crooked Little Vein".

All I have is this one little sentence to say:

**** Harry Potter this week....Ellis FTW.

Ellis should write my proposed new Harry Potter series.

He could reveal at the end that the original seven books had been a huge meth-fueled fantasy invented by Harry Potter in order to block out the violent emotional and physical abuse that he sustained for seven years straight as a teenager.

CYNICISM FTW!!!

The Internet Jesus said:
Things I May Have Said To My Daughter

"You keep that up and I'm going to confiscate your arms and legs."

"Shut up or you and all your little friends are going to prison."

"I can have Santa Claus killed by old gangsters in Shoebury for less than your ******* Barbies cost, so don't **** with me."

"When we were in Lapland, I ate Rudolph."

"I don't care what words Uncle Alan taught you in the LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN book he gave you -- call me an afterbirth again and I'm putting you in the washing machine."

"I know where your Death Nerve is. So behave yourself."

"No, you can't have a puppy."

"Oxygen is a privilege, not a right."

"I see a puppy in this house and I'm microwaving the ****er."

"I can slap the life clean out of your little body."

"Go and tell your mother that you want to be a 'retroactive abortion'. Here, let me write it down for you."

"Ask your mother what '****er' means. Tell her I called her one too."

"Eat your dinner or I'm going to liquidise it and inject it into your neck while you're asleep."

"No, you can't have a kitten. You know the fluffy gloves you wear in winter? They used to be kittens. We're not allowed to have them now."

"Put your toys away or I'm going to wee in your bed."

"I can hide your body where no-one will find it. Do your ****ing homework."

"You know, your mother says there was a mix-up at the hospital and she brought the wrong child home. I just think my sperm rotted in her booze-poisoned womb."

"I can sell you to chimney sweeps. They put you on the end of a stick and shove you up fireplaces. Well, do your ****ing homework
then."

"No, you can't have a tiger. You want to know why? Go ask Siegfried and ****ing Roy."

5 of these statments have made their way to my new voicemail message. Can you guess which ones?

"Ask your mother what '****er' means. Tell her I called her one too."

My favorite

I should just call your phone and find out which ones you put up

From Lying in the Gutters:

"ANGEL DELIGHT

"FreakAngels" is a new series for Avatar that Warren Ellis will announce on his panel on Saturday night.

FApreview01.jpg

Or rather "confirm."
"

I bought Crooked Little Vein the other day. Will be reading it after I finish the Dark Tower (i'm 2/3 through the last book)...

Why aren't more people talking about Black Summer?

The most recent issue kicked total ***.

Why aren't more people talking about Black Summer?

The most recent issue kicked total ***.

Hell yeah it did.

The only problem is that we've seen this concept before. Watchmen, Authority, etc. What happens when superheroes decide to stop helping the govt....and decide to overthrow it?

The book is better than a lot of other stuff out there, but it's not living up to it's own hype and opening act. The best parts of the issues so far have all been the flashbacks on how they got their powers.

Still....it's Ellis. And it's totally rockin'!

OK... finally found Crooked Little Vein at a local bookstore. For whatever reason, it was in the graphic novel section. I feel this book should be filed under "literature", and not under graphic novel, nor should it be classified as science fiction/fantasy. Mystery at the very least but this is literature, dammit. If I can find Sherman Alexie and Neil Gaiman in the literature section, I should be able to find Warren Ellis there as well.

Started reading this book at 3 in the morning, figured I'd get a chapter or two in before I hit the sack.

Yeah, right. By the time I put the book down it was nearing 6am. I had read from one cover to the other. The end. Best book I've read in a long time and definitely the most addictive. I think the last book I read in one sitting was Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. If you're a reader, this should be next on your list. Reading it brought to mind some of my other favorite authors... Hunter S. Thompson, William S. Burroughs, Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk. Ellis nailed this one so good it stung.

On a scale of 1 to 5, this rates off the scale. 5+++ and then some. The characters were enjoyable and the situations kept me interested from start to finish. Ellis is one of my favorite comic book writers, but now he also has the distinction of being one of my favorite novelists. Hope he's got more of these up his sleeve (or his arse, knowing his sense of humor). I will happily plunk down my hard earned cash for the next book.

Holy ****, I thought I posted a long review of this... I ****ing loved it. I can't wait for his next Novel.

OK... finally found Crooked Little Vein at a local bookstore. For whatever reason, it was in the graphic novel section. I feel this book should be filed under "literature", and not under graphic novel, nor should it be classified as science fiction/fantasy. Mystery at the very least but this is literature, dammit. If I can find Sherman Alexie and Neil Gaiman in the literature section, I should be able to find Warren Ellis there as well.

Started reading this book at 3 in the morning, figured I'd get a chapter or two in before I hit the sack.

Yeah, right. By the time I put the book down it was nearing 6am. I had read from one cover to the other. The end. Best book I've read in a long time and definitely the most addictive. I think the last book I read in one sitting was Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. If you're a reader, this should be next on your list. Reading it brought to mind some of my other favorite authors... Hunter S. Thompson, William S. Burroughs, Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk. Ellis nailed this one so good it stung.

On a scale of 1 to 5, this rates off the scale. 5+++ and then some. The characters were enjoyable and the situations kept me interested from start to finish. Ellis is one of my favorite comic book writers, but now he also has the distinction of being one of my favorite novelists. Hope he's got more of these up his sleeve (or his arse, knowing his sense of humor). I will happily plunk down my hard earned cash for the next book.

Holy ****, I thought I posted a long review of this... I ****ing loved it. I can't wait for his next Novel.

At the bookstore I work at, I was responsible for the selling of all 3 copies we recieved; we're currently ordering more, as far as I know. Maybe I'll pick up a copy...

From his latest Bad Signal:

Thinking out loud: I need to come up with a new Marvel project, as I'm reaching the end on a few things up there. I had come up with a book to do with Mike Wieringo, but since Mike died I can't really work up the enthusiasm to do it with anyone else, it was very much written *for* Mike.

And I'm at my wit's end, to be honest.

I now have an entire folder full of aborted ideas. See, my job at Marvel is to be the mad scientist in the basement, bringing old properties back to life. The job isn't to create new things (and I do that elsewhere, I don't have to prove my bona fide sat creating new books), but to makethe old properties live again. And I'm hitting the point where I can't find anything to get up on its feet.

The sf stuff at Marvel is covered. The remaining trademark books are pretty lifeless stuff -- things like NIGH****CH (google it) or things I wouldn't otherwise want to go near. There are some interesting items - LEGION OF NIGHT is a fine title, for instance -- but everything I come up with reads like LEAGUE OF EXGENTLEMEN Lite. And Marvel has little luck with occult books in any case.

By "trademark books," I mean books that Marvel have already published. NEXTWAVE was a name that Marvel owned for a group, but the trademark was NEXTWAVE: AGENTS OF H.A.T.E. Because someone already owned the trademark NEXTWAVE. It's always better, in these instances, to start with a trademark that Marvel controls.

Compounding the problem is my own intent, really. Right now, I don't want to do anything that looks backwards too much. Which is probably impossible. But after reading BLACK DOSSIER (thanks, Scott)...well, if I wasn't already so far ahead on IGNITION CITY, I'd be binning it, just because BLACK DOSSIER constitutes such a toxic overdose of Farmerian retro/meta. Friends have been torturing me a bit over this, hurling Rom and theMicronauts at me like flaming turds. I thought about Shang-Chi for a second, but that book's useless to me without Fu Manchu, and Marvel don't have the Rohmer license anymore. Joe Straczynski's doinga bunch of the 1940s characters. I will continue to crap on about this all weekend.

-- W

DUDE! WHAT ABOUT DARKHAWK?! :(

I had asked Joe last year about Ellis doing Darkhawk and he said that Ellis was busy with other projects at the time.

Well, he sure doesn't seem busy now!!

I had asked Joe last year about Ellis doing Darkhawk and he said that Ellis was busy with other projects at the time.

Well, he sure doesn't seem busy now!!
Must explain all the new 4am Mixtapes.

It's the easiest thing in the world to take a lame concept and make it "cool."

Everything Ellis does is basically the same.

He did it first when he turned Stormwatch into Authority and he's done the same thing with every other "reimagining" he's done since.

It isn't cool and it isn't clever. It's good sometimes, though.

He did it first when he turned Stormwatch into Authority and he's done the same thing with every other "reimagining" he's done since.

Well somebody is teh jealous.

How many of those has he done, as opposed to the number of times he's decided to deal with creator-owned or original properties?

Latest posts

Back