Weight Loss and Working Out

Well, I bought some running shoes today, knowing that it would take that to get me up and running. I talked to a friend of mine who runs a lot and this evening I ran a half mile. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I was dying by the time I got home. I am not overweight or fat or whatever by any stretch of the imagination - in fact, I'm underweight. But that's how out of shape I am.

I was already winded by 1/4 mile but I felt great. I felt like I was actually doing something good.

I was going to try to run every other day but my legs are fried. I stretched beforehand but maybe I didn't stretch enough. Hopefully they will be loose enough by Tuesday.

Well, I bought some running shoes today, knowing that it would take that to get me up and running. I talked to a friend of mine who runs a lot and this evening I ran a half mile. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I was dying by the time I got home. I am not overweight or fat or whatever by any stretch of the imagination - in fact, I'm underweight. But that's how out of shape I am.

I was already winded by 1/4 mile but I felt great. I felt like I was actually doing something good.

I was going to try to run every other day but my legs are fried. I stretched beforehand but maybe I didn't stretch enough. Hopefully they will be loose enough by Tuesday.
It may not be that you didn't stretch enough, but maybe that you're body isn't used to it.

With starting out, not running everyday might be a good idea. Baby steps is what it's all about.

Also - stretching afterwards is more beneficial than before.

I've been told to hold a stretch say, 15 seconds before I work out, and then 30 seconds at the end of my workout before I go home. Stretching afterwards is what's important. So do both. :)

I did stretch afterward, and I'm glad I did.

My friend called to check up on me. Sounds like I did everything pretty much right, I just need to get used to it.

I can tell one thing I did wrong - I ran too fast. I needed to go much slower. It was hard to make myself run slow. I wasn't racing as fast as I could go, but I definitely didn't pace myself properly.

You don't need to work out E. Have you never seen any movie ever made?

You just need a training montage.

Well for the first two weeks some soreness the next day is going to be expected, but you will adapt soon enough.

I did stretch afterward, and I'm glad I did.

My friend called to check up on me. Sounds like I did everything pretty much right, I just need to get used to it.

I can tell one thing I did wrong - I ran too fast. I needed to go much slower. It was hard to make myself run slow. I wasn't racing as fast as I could go, but I definitely didn't pace myself properly.

You could get yourself a heart rate monitor. The idea is when you're starting out you run at like, 50% of your Maximum Heart Rate or something. Then you get fitter and push it to 60% and 70% and so forth. I forget the exact details, but it might be a good way to ensure you're not running too fast.

Surely you jest?

I'm sorry, but I'm sitting here reading these posts about E wanting to learn how to run and exercise properly and I think this is the most pathetic thing I have ever read. :lol:

I don't know why either. It's just funny for some reason.

I'm sorry, but I'm sitting here reading these posts about E wanting to learn how to run and exercise properly and I think this is the most pathetic thing I have ever read. :lol:

I know, it's so pathetic!

*leans back in chair and stuffs mouth full of Swedish Fish*

You could get yourself a heart rate monitor. The idea is when you're starting out you run at like, 50% of your Maximum Heart Rate or something. Then you get fitter and push it to 60% and 70% and so forth. I forget the exact details, but it might be a good way to ensure you're not running too fast.

Hmmm...it sounds like a good idea but does it involve opening my chest cavity?

Surely you jest?

I have two friends. One of them runs. The other plays basketball.

:|

I know, it's so pathetic!

*leans back in chair and stuffs mouth full of Swedish Fish*

strangehh3.jpg

Hmmm...it sounds like a good idea but does it involve opening my chest cavity?

No. It's just this band thing with a beeping clock on it or something. I keep forgetting to pick one up.

That said, some gyms have them built into their treadmills and bikes so you wouldn't need to buy one.

I have suspected for a while that I might be allergic to gluten, so I'm on a strict gluten-free diet. It's very different...more salads and baked potatoes, neither of which I usually eat much of.

And I had a really crappy salad for lunch, so I'm already hungry.

It's amazing how hard it is to find wheat-free food products...even in things which are supposed to be corn or rice-based.

With my recent job situation being in flux I've been going to the gym more often and for longer each time. If this keeps up no one will even recognize me at WW Chicago next year.

I have suspected for a while that I might be allergic to gluten, so I'm on a strict gluten-free diet. It's very different...more salads and baked potatoes, neither of which I usually eat much of.

And I had a really crappy salad for lunch, so I'm already hungry.

It's amazing how hard it is to find wheat-free food products...even in things which are supposed to be corn or rice-based.

Um...gluten allergies tend to make themselves known. As in cramps, hives, puking variety.

Nevermind the huge weight lose one would get as well. It's actualy kinda similar to adult onset diabetes. The difference being that with diabetes, one cannot stop peeing.

Last edited:
Um...gluten allergies tend to make themselves known. As in cramps, hives, puking variety.

Nevermind the huge weight lose one would get as well. It's actualy kinda similar to adult onset diabetes. The difference being that with diabetes, one cannot stop peeing.

What I've read about it is that reactions can vary depending on the severity of the allergy. Some people cannot even eat with utensils that have touched gluten, others can basically peel the bread off a sandwich and eat the rest of it and be fine.

I do have very wide fluctuations in weight. Definitely not normal. And cramping is also a major problem, although it's not constant and I can't seem to pinpoint what triggers it.

Latest posts

Back