Who should get the 5th Ultimate Ongoing Series? (Multiple Choice)

Who should get the 5th Ultimate Ongoing?

• Total voters
DIrishB said:
Which could be true. I'm not against an ongoing UDD series, I just don't think it'll happen for the reasons I listed previously.
Exactly. It just seems that someone (or a team) that has more of a "history mess" will have a higher chance of getting the title than DD, who doesn't have that kind of mess.

icemastertron said:
Exactly. It just seems that someone (or a team) that has more of a "history mess" will have a higher chance of getting the title than DD, who doesn't have that kind of mess.
I didn't really think about that, but that makes a lot of sense.

I also say Ultimate Wolverine!

Because he just plain kicks arse!

And if it was done right, like starting from the very beginning of his Ultimate history, and working forward from there...! Basically filling in between his birth/childhood & his first appearance Ultimate Xmen...

Plenty of story there, I would say...

;^p

Last edited:
I voted for Daredevil and Doc Strange. Those are the only two characters that I could see getting an on-going. Many of the characters on the list I think Marvel is going to use in either mini's or guest-star appearances in the regular titles (especially Punisher and to a lesser extent Hulk). I was really tempted to put Nick Fury but I didn't think people would want a government conspiracy book especially while Ultimates seems to deal with that a lot. Fury will end prolly like his 616 counterpart with a Secret War (the recent one) and organizing heroes for "selective" missions.

I agree that Strange is a hard character to work with but if you set up his rogues correctly his character flaws can be delt with. First set up a villan for him like Reed to Doom, and make sure the villan can hurt Strange in an emotional way. Could make a couple of the villans cult leaders that have very real impacts on the world. This makes Strange have to deal with the real world instead of meditating all day and fighting villans in the astral plane. Finally make the astral plane and Strange himself more "realistic" meaning don't have them fire off bolts of magic all the time but have them really engage in hand-to-hand combat (I know this sounds wierd but it's tough to express in words what I would like). Strange would be the logical choice to introduce magic to UU, but suffers from being unrealistic and just a poor character in general.

Daredevil could be a very interesting title but I do have to agree might get overshadowed by USM because Daredevil, at least from the mini, would feel like a mix between Spiderman and Punisher (in terms of the feel, not the character). I really did like the mini and it would be interesting to see him interact with Elektra again. Finally, and this is imperative, no angst, none at all. Wait one more thing: involve Fury sometimes for a good conspiracy of gangs and what-not for good measure.

No other mutant ultimates too because I do not want the UU becoming like the 616 where all the titles are X-men. Mini's are fine but no on-goings.

Synch said:
Right, because it's obviously about what you want. Daredevil made the cut, but you couldn't put Wolverine in there. LAME! You wolverine haters are the worst. Just because you don't want to see Wolverine in another comic book doesn't mean that it won't still be one of the top sellers in the Ultimate series. Wolverine is a marvel staple. Ultimate Wolverine is a totally different character than his 616 counterpart, and that could really be explored and expanded. But with you claw-blockers out, it starts to look like not that many people want to see wolverine in a comic book. In reality though, most people love that little furry bastard. That's why I voted for Via-Post, and I'm saying I'm fine with the lineup just the way it is. but if I had to than I guess it would be Cap and Logan. And also Daredevil is WACK. Nobody wants to read Ultimate Handicap vol. 1.

I'm not too into Daredevil myself, but, like others, he's got alot of story telling to be explored. If they do make a new line, it should be Ult. Daredevil and Ult. Luke Cage. BTW, remember when Pym gets kicked out of the ultimates and joins that bargain basement team, that Poweman was actually on that team? I don't think anyone on that team, other than Pym, had super powers. So maybe exploring Cage would do a little something to spice up an Ult. Daredevil team-up line. Agree or disagree...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Then who else has more "history mess" other than X-Men and Spider-Man? I thikn Hulk has sort of an out there background. So does Wolverine. The rest of them barely got anything.

Daredevil's got history with Elektra, which could link him to people like Kingpin, Hammerheard, Bullsyeye, etc. Plus, he's fought with Wolverine, Spider-Man, and the Punisher before. So that's a good amount of people he's interacted with/could interact with. It's not a history mess, but he's probably the biggest minor character in the Ultimate Universe.

Just imagine if they got Frank Miller for the title:

"Are you retarded? I'm the mother****ing Daredevil."

But, it'd probably still be awesome.

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
I'm not joking - Ultimate Wolverine.

I agree with that. Wolverine is, hands down, THE greatest character ever. They need to come out with Ultimate Origins. Or have him leave UXM and do a stint in Ult. Heroes for Hire.

I've lurked around here a couple days, and this thread made me finally join. Thanks Overlord.

I've got to defend Strange. He's gotten a bad rap in the past, in large part, I think, because the main Marvel Universe isn't conducive to -interesting- use of mysticism. A lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth because of all the magic in the Marvel universe, but I think that's because everything is overly explained in that setting. Over the years, the Marvel writers have broken down everything mystical into very strict categories and overly classified them until the mystery is lost. A lot of the reason that Thor works is because he's on a team book, where the writers DON'T do this sort of overanalysis, but that doesn't mean that a solo mystic book will overanalyze in a way like that. Books like Sandman prove that you can have a mystical paradigm that's still incredibly flexible and still leaves a great amount of mystery.

The relatively fledgeling nature of the Ultimate Universe, coupled with the fact that Ultimate Strange would have essentially complete domain over the mystical sphere, means that a good writer would have free rein to explore mystical characters that, while silly in the main Marvel universe, could be used as jump-off points for philosophical and mystical ideas. Someone else mentioned Grant Morrison, and I think he's perfect. Imagine the Marvel Universe through the lens of The Invisibles and Sandman. It's an angle that really hasn't been explored.

Strange is ideal as an Ultimate title in that it provides something that simply CANNOT be done in the overstratified and tainted world of the 616 Universe. Spider-Man can cover the concepts of street level crime. Hell, for that matter, those ideas are covered damn well in the main Marvel Universe. The reason for Ultimizing characters is to take something iconic and twist it into another light. The characters already in the Ultimate universe work because they're symbolic and they're colorful. Rapists and serial killers and mob bosses, on the other hand, are pretty much interchangable.

And as for realism.... Well, is ANYTHING in the Ultimate Universe realistic? Really now, we're talking about superheroes, dude. Realism isn't the issue. It's about making a series that's internally consistent. And without having to worry about the supernatural continuity of other books, it's entirely possible. The very core of mysticism is its mystery. Few people even know the magical exists. And few, if any know how the entirety of it works. At best, they have an understanding of some very basic principles. It doesn't run contrary to the sci-fi-ish elements of the other titles because they aren't forced to deal with occult weirdness, and at the same time, the unknowable nature of the mystic prevents the pseudo-science of the other titles from disturbing Ultimate Strange's integrity.

Last edited:
Voted for helions a while back but, now that i look at it i would like it to be Ultimate Blade. Ultimate helions would just be another x-men, blade on the other hand would offer something new and exciting into the universe.

Zombipanda said:
I've lurked around here a couple days, and this thread made me finally join. Thanks Overlord.

I've got to defend Strange. He's gotten a bad rap in the past, in large part, I think, because the main Marvel Universe isn't conducive to -interesting- use of mysticism. A lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth because of all the magic in the Marvel universe, but I think that's because everything is overly explained in that setting. Over the years, the Marvel writers have broken down everything mystical into very strict categories and overly classified them until the mystery is lost. A lot of the reason that Thor works is because he's on a team book, where the writers DON'T do this sort of overanalysis, but that doesn't mean that a solo mystic book will overanalyze in a way like that. Books like Sandman prove that you can have a mystical paradigm that's still incredibly flexible and still leaves a great amount of mystery.

The relatively fledgeling nature of the Ultimate Universe, coupled with the fact that Ultimate Strange would have essentially complete domain over the mystical sphere, means that a good writer would have free rein to explore mystical characters that, while silly in the main Marvel universe, could be used as jump-off points for philosophical and mystical ideas. Someone else mentioned Grant Morrison, and I think he's perfect. Imagine the Marvel Universe through the lens of The Invisibles and Sandman. It's an angle that really hasn't been explored.

Strange is ideal as an Ultimate title in that it provides something that simply CANNOT be done in the overstratified and tainted world of the 616 Universe. Spider-Man can cover the concepts of street level crime. Hell, for that matter, those ideas are covered damn well in the main Marvel Universe. The reason for Ultimizing characters is to take something iconic and twist it into another light. The characters already in the Ultimate universe work because they're symbolic and they're colorful. Rapists and serial killers and mob bosses, on the other hand, are pretty much interchangable.

And as for realism.... Well, is ANYTHING in the Ultimate Universe realistic? Really now, we're talking about superheroes, dude. Realism isn't the issue. It's about making a series that's internally consistent. And without having to worry about the supernatural continuity of other books, it's entirely possible. The very core of mysticism is its mystery. Few people even know the magical exists. And few, if any know how the entirety of it works. At best, they have an understanding of some very basic principles. It doesn't run contrary to the sci-fi-ish elements of the other titles because they aren't forced to deal with occult weirdness, and at the same time, the unknowable nature of the mystic prevents the pseudo-science of the other titles from disturbing Ultimate Strange's integrity.

BRAVO.... *claps hands in applause*. I wasn't really into the whole magic and mysticism thing, but you make a really good point.

(except The Sandman is written by Neil Gaiman, and not Morrisson)

But i <3 Morrison to death.

Dr.Strangefate said:
(except The Sandman is written by Neil Gaiman, and not Morrisson)

But i <3 Morrison to death.

Never said it was. I'm just saying that's what I'd use as a thematic source.

I think an Ultimate story that focused on a villian would be bad ***. Like a behind the scenes Magneto or something. You ever wonder if Bishop will ever cross into this line-up, because so far I've seen him in the 616 and AoA universe. I also think Ult. Captain America would sound cool. They could show his reactions to the new world he lives in and compare it to the old.

My problem is, bringing in characters like Magneto and Captain America would work better as miniseries'. Both would reflect back on their main titles (X-Men or Ultimates) and that doesn't seem to stick to the Ultimates formula. They would be derivative. The purpose of introducing a new and long-standing episode to the Ultimate formula is to bnig a completely new element to the universe.

Latest posts

Back