Wolverine - series discussion (spoilers)

Ice said:
The new team is Marc Guggnheim (Writer) and Humbert Ramos (Penciler).

As for the scene, it shows how Luke is for registration and of course Wolverine is against it, and how he's using old friends who were Jews during WWII and saying how "Registration didn't exactly work for them". Luke than preceded to tell Wolverine that he's actually trying to compare the U.S. Government to the Nazis, and Super Humans to German Jews. And then when Wolverine talks to him about the Sentinels on the X-Men's front lawn, Luke tells him it's for their protection, which then Wolverine replys back telling him that Sentinels are like burning crosses to them.

It's better to read the scene. The quick synopsis doesn't do it justice. It's better than it sounds here.
I'm actually very happy for the synopsis. I've been waiting to hear Cage's stance on the registration act. Right on character with Bendis "Matt Murdock's a Hypocrite Speech" in Daredevil. I wonder if he'll change but as long as he starts off being pro-registration, I'm cool.

As for the new team, the art is hideous. Worse than Bachalo.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm actually very happy for the synopsis. I've been waiting to hear Cage's stance on the registration act. Right on character with Bendis "Matt Murdock's a Hypocrite Speech" in Daredevil. I wonder if he'll change but as long as he starts off being pro-registration, I'm cool.

As for the new team, the art is hideous. Worse than Bachalo.

No. Ramos is awesome.

Ramos likes to exaggerate character attributes in more intense scene which puts me off some but other than that I like it. It looks as if it was sketched and not refined which annoys me some but I got over it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
It looks like when Mr. Fantastic Loses control of his powers and his chin starts to drip down uncontrollably. It sucks.

Just like how Finch's art looks like **** blended up, drunk, and then shat back out again? :wink:

TheManWithoutFear said:
You think Finch is bad? And this is good? I can't argue with you. I wouldn't know where to start.

I don't like Finch. Ramos is okay. Though I must admit his art seemed to fall apart at the end of the issue.

So I've never liked Wolverine. Never. But with Civil War in full swing...I happened to come across #42 for free.

And I liked it.

So I decided to look into #43.....

.....and I liked it.

Not sure if this'll be enough to make me wanna follow the series...but for now, my interest is piqued Plus I like the art. It's different.

I do like the Civil War arc for Wolverine. It makes sense for his character to think "screw this registartion crap...I'm off to get the guy actually responsible for it all.."

The art is awful though. Never been a fan of Ramos

I really could've gone without a whole issue of Wolverine fighting buck-naked. The art was still pretty good though.

I was kinda confused about what was going on in the story but it kinda came together at the end. The idea that Namor has planted sleeper agents on land and sent his royal guards to kill Nitro and avenge the death of Namorita is actually pretty cool.

Looking forward to the Namor/Wolverine battle in the next issue.

3/5

I liked the last issue. I'm suprised I didn't call why Namor would be involved earlier. It makes perfect sense. I liked how Wolverine was able to figure out he just needed to stay close to Nitro and he would be fine. I actually point out to someone last issue that for him to appear after the explosion so perfectly intact there would have to be something else to his exploiding than we previous understood. The guy said I had no idea what I was talking about. I feel vindicate by this issue.

As for the naked Wolverine, I was just glad the artist didn't show more. I hoping one of the first lines in the next issue is "Put these pants on. Your nakedness is making me uncomfortable.

4/5

Yeah, naked Wolverine is something I don't wanna see. :sick:

But it was a cool issue. I was surprised to see that it was more sleeper cells. It's going to get good with the fight with Namor. And it better not be only with Wolverine vs Nitro.

I'm happy with how they brought Namor in. I'm actually really, really enjoying the Wolverine Civil War issues. The art isn't the best, though.

Yeah, I'm glad to see Namor involved in this. Its a logical way to bring him into civil war while sidestepping the fact that he doesn't care about US politics.

Although I thought Nitro actually turned into the explosion and then had to reform himself? This would counter what happened in this issue...

Great art though.

I'm afraid that this new team (Marc Guggnheim (Writer) and Humbert Ramos (Penciler)) lost me the moment they burned Wolverine down to his bones and he got back up from it...

First of all, it's strategically dumb for a guy who has to be within arms length to attempt to take out a villian who's range is whole city blocks. Logically, you find someone who can take him out from a distance. This whole search for Nitro by Wolverine makes no sense and Wolverine should rightly be dead.

He effectively took on a suicide mission...

I'll give over that some of the story and dialog is really good but ultimately it fails because Wolverine is not the appropriate person to actually be the one to take down Nitro. Definitely use Wolverine to find him but then send someone ELSE in to actually take Nitro out. That would have worked.

Living Large said:
I'm afraid that this new team (Marc Guggnheim (Writer) and Humbert Ramos (Penciler)) lost me the moment they burned Wolverine down to his bones and he got back up from it...

Yeah..that was a bit silly...

Otherwise, I'm fine. Wolverine is the only one who voulenteers to go and take out Nitro- a job no one else seems to be thinking about in the midst of the registration act.

Living Large said:
I'm afraid that this new team lost me the moment they burned Wolverine down to his bones and he got back up from it...

Huh? :? Are you serious? Is that the whole basis of Wolverine? That he has a mutant healing factor and can heal from any wound? How does that not make sense?

I mean I'm just glad that they put some thought into it and burned away his flesh and left the indestructible bones. It's only logical that he would begin to grow his body back. Hell...they even documented how long it took him to grow himself back piece by piece.

Living Large said:
First of all, it's strategically dumb for a guy who has to be within arms length to attempt to take out a villian who's range is whole city blocks. Logically, you find someone who can take him out from a distance.

I disagree. Although I believe there is some inconsistency as to whether Nitro blows up and pieces himself back together or whether he just creates a kinetic explosion---the writer went with the latter.

They explain that Wolverine notices that neither Nitro's hair or clothes are gone or on fire. So that means he just creates an explosion and there is some sort of protection zone surrounding him when he explodes. Making it the safest place to be when he goes off. Kinda like the "eye of a hurricane". So it makes sense that you want someone who deals with close combat. And who better at that than "the best at what he does"???

They also explain that Nitro has never been able to do something of that magnitude before. He was on MGH. So if he is able to take out several blocks.....the guy who's got some distance between Nitro and his "safety zone" is pretty much screwed. So strategically.......the distance thing isn't the best option.

Living Large said:
This whole search for Nitro by Wolverine makes no sense and Wolverine should rightly be dead.

Again....I'm gonna have to disagree. Wolverine is supposed to be a ronin. So he's gonna want revenge in order to set things right. Punish the one who did this and all...

VVD, you're exactly spot on.

I mean, it's not like Wolverine hasn't been burned like that or even worse before. Remember when he was sent to the sun and almost died?

And why shouldn't he be hunting Nitro? Though Wolverine is against the RA, he knows when to deal with what. And that "what" & "when" right now is hunting Nitro down because everybody else is too busy forgetting the actual man who killed the 800+ people from Stamford.

Victor Von Doom said:
Huh? :? Are you serious? Is that the whole basis of Wolverine? That he has a mutant healing factor and can heal from any wound? How does that not make sense?

I mean I'm just glad that they put some thought into it and burned away his flesh and left the indestructible bones. It's only logical that he would begin to grow his body back. Hell...they even documented how long it took him to grow himself back piece by piece.

Grow back from what?

Lets assume Wolverine is something like 5"5' with something like 90-100 kg (his bones are really heavy and not the way mothers describe their fat kids).

Where do suddenly 50-60 kg of mass appear out of thin air?

I can suspense my disbelief when Wolverine is burnt up, blown up or cut up but remove his entire body save for the bones and he still gros back?
That was taking it a "little" bit too far.

I'd also like to see him replenish his body reserves for once after he does major healing.. something like raiding the fridge at X-Mansion and eating everything but the fridge.

Latest posts

Back