Wolverine - series discussion (spoilers)

ProjectX2 said:
Is that all? Why?
He was supposed to draw out Wolverine, let him spot him, and lead him back to Madripor. This was around the time he was known as Patch, since he had the patch over his eye, and back to Spain.

Last edited:
Honestly? This whole arc has turned me off of Wolverine, be that the regular series of the origin series. It was terrible!

We got 3 issues leading up to an encounter between Wolverine and the Winter Soldier. In all that time, Daniel Way decided not to tell us what the heck Wolverine is doing and left us to follow blindly along as Wolverine speaks with the Silver Sumarai about something that still hasn't been made clear. You could assume that it's do with the Winter Soldier and his wife but it could be anything.

Part 4 deals with Wolverine attempting to handle the Winter Soldier which he fails to do and a fight between them breaks out which was completely unnecessary apparently.

Part 5 shows us that he wasn't actually after the Winter Soldier to extract revenge for the killing of his wife because he didn't know that. He just wanted to know if the Winter Soldier was the only one there. Why? We aren't told... THEN Wolverine imparts some secret on the Winter Soldier that again, we are left in the dark about... AND we aren't told WHY the Winter Soldier was supposed to lead Wolverine back to Mindrapor... Also, aside from the solicitations, there is no mention that this sword is capable of killing wolverine and making sure he stays dead. That is NEVER mentioned in the issue... Therefore, it's not exactly true. Hell, the cover indicates that the Avengers are in the issue, which they aren't...

It's all horrible story telling... You can't tell a story and then leave the key details out. That's just weak and doesn't inspire me to buy more issues that will create even more hanging storylines... It does the opposite.

I miss the old Wolverine from the 85-91... That was the wolverine that inspired and became a legend. The Wolverine of today is a confused, undefined mess...

There, i said my bit...

Living Large said:
I miss the old Wolverine from the 85-91...
Did you mean from 1985 to 1991 of #85 to #91? I doubt it's the latter. But I agree. Except I didn't read wolverine in the 80's so I don't know anthing about it. I did like Wolvie from 1992 to 98. Those were really good years with blood scream and Cyber and Sabes and Japan and all that. Now that time has passed I agree with him on this arc. It sucked.

Did you mean from 1985 to 1991 of #85 to #91? I doubt it's the latter. But I agree. Except I didn't read wolverine in the 80's so I don't know anthing about it. I did like Wolvie from 1992 to 98. Those were really good years with blood scream and Cyber and Sabes and Japan and all that. Now that time has passed I agree with him on this arc. It sucked.

Yes, 1985 to 1991 or thereabouts. Back when Wolverine was playing father figure to Kitty Pryde or Jubilee. Back when he had a well defined sense of honor and pride in himself. He was a character of strong moral fiber. And actually, the first 18 issues of Wolverine Vol 3 were fantastic because they fit that mold and were great stories. And then the crazy Millar run came along...

wolverine needs to start hwipping (yes HWIP! it sounds more-awesome) heads off to save this series.

Living Large said:
Yes, 1985 to 1991 or thereabouts. Back when Wolverine was playing father figure to Kitty Pryde or Jubilee. Back when he had a well defined sense of honor and pride in himself. He was a character of strong moral fiber. And actually, the first 18 issues of Wolverine Vol 3 were fantastic because they fit that mold and were great stories. And then the crazy Millar run came along...

Yea, it was Jubilee. Great stuff. I was reading alot of those maybe I did read some 80's wolvie. I agree with Johnny more violence may have made this a little more palatable, but not much. And millar did ruin wolverine.

Or actually it was a great series right up until Genesis tried to force the adamantium back into him and he turned into a werewolf. That sucked so bad I stopped reading it for like a year. But I couldn't stay way. When Tan started drawing it, it got pretty good again.

heres what i woulda done:

wolverine gets his memory back and remembers everyone who owes him money. so he goes round collectin it all up. if a person should fail to pay him back........HWIP!! thats right!! a muthaf***as head comes off!

i thought since he gots his memory back and decided to hunt down silver samurai to cut his hand off, that somethin big was about to either happen or be revealed. so we find that bucky killed his wife and unborn child. i didnt really see enough of his wife to care about her but i think i know what is coming here:

wolverines unborn child managed to *snikt* his way out the womb (yes he inherited his dads claws) and cut silver samurais other hand off. by the way why did wolverine do that to silver samurai in the first place? i just cant remember

Last edited:
wolverines unborn child managed to *snikt* his way out the womb (yes he inherited his dads claws) and cut silver samurais other hand off. by the way why did wolverine do that to silver samurai anyway i just cant remember

I'd forgotten that bit of plot. We were never told unequivically why Wolverine found it necessary to confront Silver Samurai, fight him, cut off his hand and then head off to department K. It almost felt like Daniel Way felt that there had to be some kind of fighting in his story even when it wasn't strictly necessary... to satisfy your (and others of course) apparent...

wolverine gets his memory back and remembers everyone who owes him money. so he goes round collectin it all up. if a person should fail to pay him back........HWIP!! thats right!! a muthaf***as head comes off!

... bloodlust... :)

Last edited:
Living Large said:
... bloodlust... :)
Is why I fell in love with this character, but unfortunately can not keep me reading. And since now Wolverine neither has any type of "good" violent streak, at least not the one I came to know and love, and he's kind of... boring. I'm really close to dropping this book. Also, whatsup with him not talking to some of his close friends after M-Day. Whatsup with Yukio or Jubilee? This title sucks right now. They need to cut this Origin crap. What happened to Landau, Luckman, and Lake? Oh well, I guess I have to wait for a new writer and a new arc. Oh yea, I read that review, and its as close to what I'm talking about as me talking about it.

I'm officially dropping Wolvie until they get off this Origin crap. I will replace my wolvie buys with Runaways which seems like the way to go at this point.

Synch said:
I'm officially dropping Wolvie until they get off this Origin crap. I will replace my wolvie buys with Runaways which seems like the way to go at this point.
The last part ended already of that arc. :?

Wolverine was cool until they gave him Oriental roots.

That's the absolute worst part of his story, and I'm glad they haven't mentioned it in the Ultimates (to my knowledge). When they do, I hope to Hell they cut out all this Sword & Lotus bull****.

The new team kicks ***. It was Civil War though Logan's eyes. It was better than the main issue itself. I'm really digging the art. Nitro is going down.

A

Last edited:
I loved this issue too. I liked that Wolverine only who identifies Nitro as the person who deserves the attention in this tradegy. It did bug me in Civil War that everyone seemed to either be blaming super powered beings were to blame or defending super powered beings.

I read Nitro's bio in the "Breakout" handbook(I knew being obsessed with handbooks would come in handy) and couldn't help but being annoyed that he also got his powers from the Kree. I hope we see something original in how Wolverine kills/stops(I hope kills) Nitro. I thought it was kind of stupid that every time they just trapped Nitro before he could reorganize himself after an explosion. Personally, I think the people who are also after him are going to be some how related to the Kree because everything else seems to be.

I ordinarilly don't like comparison between civil rights and mutants, but I liked the comparision between a burning cross and a sentinel.

This is my 666th post. I barely noticed, but thought it was worth noting.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Whose the new team?

What happened in the scene between Luke and Wolverine?
The new team is Marc Guggnheim (Writer) and Humbert Ramos (Penciler).

As for the scene, it shows how Luke is for registration and of course Wolverine is against it, and how he's using old friends who were Jews during WWII and saying how "Registration didn't exactly work for them". Luke than preceded to tell Wolverine that he's actually trying to compare the U.S. Government to the Nazis, and Super Humans to German Jews. And then when Wolverine talks to him about the Sentinels on the X-Men's front lawn, Luke tells him it's for their protection, which then Wolverine replys back telling him that Sentinels are like burning crosses to them.

It's better to read the scene. The quick synopsis doesn't do it justice. It's better than it sounds here.

Latest posts

Back