Worldstorm Discussion (Spoilers)

The Authority #1 was pretty good. Wildcats #1 was bad.

True. Authority has always rocked. Even with little happening in #1...it was good.

But Wildcats was actually so horrible that I couldn't finish it. I finally made thru the whole issue about 3 weeks ago and only outta sheer boredom did I read it.

Okay, I read my stack and here's what I think.

Wetworks was crap crappy crap crap. I've been high on Mike Carey lately, but I had no idea what was happening. Which makes it exactly as good as the previous series.

Stormwatch seemed good, but being a Stormwatch fan I was very confused about why everybody who was dead is still alive and why The Monarchy era went ignored. Seems important to me. However, it could have happened and just not been referred to and it's possible only Wildcats/Aliens was retconned. Not so bad. Actually seems to be a little like a toned-down version of The Boys.

Authority was an okay comic, I guess, but was totally lame as an Authority book. Although team's presence was felt I would have liked to have seen them.

Midnighter was just fantastic. And we got to see The Authority! I'm glad it seems Authority continuity is being respected at least. "You'll have to speak up" was probably the funniest thing I've read in ages. This is so much better than The Boys and I think Garth Ennis has found his next Hitman.

Deathblow, I thought, was really good too. I've been not liking Azzarello's non-100 Bullets work, but it seems he knows his Deathblow history and he even made an effort to explain his still being alive, despite dying before.

I also got the Worldstorm book, so that's all I've read of Welcome to Tranquility. I liked it. I don't know if the regular book continues the whole old-story interspersed with "shocking" unseen subplots, but it was a good gimmick and I'd actually like to see a whole book like that.

I'll be getting Welcome to Tranquility and Gen13 next week, as well as the second issues of the other series (that have second issues).

Last edited:
I really like The Midnighter. I think it might be Ennis's best book going now, especially since it's drawn by Chris Sprouse, who rules.

I really like The Midnighter. I think it might be Ennis's best book going now, especially since it's drawn by Chris Sprouse, who rules.

Chris Sprouse does rule. He was all too absent at the end of Tom Strong, which is odd considering the book had about three issues a year.

I really wish that was still being published too. I was getting into all the guest writers and artists after a while.

hm... Here's my rundown.

Welcome to Tranquility is easily the best book taking place in the Wildstorm U. It's funny, it's sincere, and the quirkiness of the art is seriously ace. It's not just the best Wildstorm book, but also the best thing Simone's putting out right now, which is saying a lot. I'd marry that woman.

Midnighter's close behind. It's not in the same league as Preacher or The Boys but it's damn fun.

The first issue of the Authority was technically good, and I wouldn't expect anything less from Grant Morrison, but the delays have caused me to lose all interest in the book.

Wetworks is garbage.

Read another batch last night (and bought more today, but haven't read yet).

Midnighter 2 - This is my favorite book so far. Believe it or not, Ennis has toned himself down. Which is weird, considering he's writing a genetically altered killing machine who's travelling back in time to murder Adolf Hitler. I've mentioned before I always like it when Ennis reins it in a little and this is no exception.

Wetworks 2 - Still really, really bad.

Stormwatch: PHD 2 - 1 was the intro issue and wasn't spectacular, but things get going now and the PHD and Prime teams get more defined. I like it.

Deathblow 2 - I really liked the first issue, but this one falls short. It's clearly set up for the main point of the series (or at least the rest of the arc) but nothing happens. It could've been a couple of pages in the beginning of an issue and been just as effective. I don't like what's happening to Carlos D'Anda's art. He was great on the Wildstorm Spotlight issue he did with Alan Moore and his Wildstorm stuff after that.

Gen13 1 - The characters seem to be the same as the originals, personality-wise, but have been mysteriously rebooted while the rest of the WU goes on? Is this the sole reason Captain Atom happened? I hope something's explained soon because I really like Simone and I really like Gen13.

Welcome to Tranquility 1 - I liked it. It's living up to the promise of the Worldstorm preview. I think the whole "doody" thing is a little annoying though. And am I the only one who found this issue a little remeniscent of Fables 1?

I'm glad that after I read ****e comics like Mighty Avengers, I have The Midnighter to come back to. This is one of my favourite comics. I think this is my favourite thing Ennis has ever done, and there's only been five issues. Awesome story, awesome art, good dialogue and The Midnighter doing incredibly things.

I love this comic.

I'm leaving for the comic book store in a few hours.

Should I be picking up Stormwatch: PHD? I think they've been holding it for me even though I didn't verify I'd be getting it.

Should I be picking up Stormwatch: PHD? I think they've been holding it for me even though I didn't verify I'd be getting it.

Yes, you should get The Midnighter.

Compound's girlfriend took me to the store. I had a whole pile consisting of Desolation Jones, DMZ, Fell and Iron Man waiting for me at the shop, so I decided to pass on both Worldstorm titles for now for the sake of my wallet.

They'll probably still be there three months from now, as they've managed to still have copies of Stormwatch: PHD for me since the first issue.

I read Authority 2 and Worldstorm 2 last night. Authority might be getting good, but if it is I won't know until next year probbaly.

I liked seeing Jet and my favorite Wildstorm character Savant in Worldstorm. I'm glad to see that not all of Wildstorm history is being forgotten. In fact, it really just seems like crappy new Gen13 is the only book ignoring it. Jerks.

Oh, and the alien invasion reference by Winter leads me to believe that his death wasn't just erased, but there's a very good explanation as to why he's still alive.

Compound's girlfriend took me to the store. I had a whole pile consisting of Desolation Jones, DMZ, Fell and Iron Man waiting for me at the shop, so I decided to pass on both Worldstorm titles for now for the sake of my wallet.

They'll probably still be there three months from now, as they've managed to still have copies of Stormwatch: PHD for me since the first issue.

;) Wait, wait, wait. You mean she gave you a ride to the store?

:D :D :D :D Did she wait outside in the car and read a newspaper while you went to pick up your comic books?

Yes. Its the best book of the Wildstorm relanuch.

And the last issue had what looked to be a very familiar DC character. Anyone else think that?

Yes. Its the best book of the Wildstorm relanuch.

And the last issue had what looked to be a very familiar DC character. Anyone else think that?

Yeah, but Gage even says on some other board that he doesn't know for sure who it was. Could be a Monitor, could be Jackson's dad, could be someone else entirely. Whatever makes the best story, he says. But we'll see how DC treats Wildstorm in the future I guess. I can't imagine they'll get along much further without any interference.

Yeah, but Gage even says on some other board that he doesn't know for sure who it was. Could be a Monitor, could be Jackson's dad, could be someone else entirely. Whatever makes the best story, he says. But we'll see how DC treats Wildstorm in the future I guess. I can't imagine they'll get along much further without any interference.

I'm almost sure it was a monitor, the armor, the bald head, the beard... and the way he kept watching earth in the end....

I'm almost sure it was a monitor, the armor, the bald head, the beard... and the way he kept watching earth in the end....

I'm not sure its a Monitor since there was alot of foreshadowing on the Old Mr. Jackson, but I really want it to be a Monitor. It would make sense for there to be one per universe to me. I mean there was one Anti-monitor who had the anti-matter universe to himself and one Monitor who had countless standard matter universes to watch. Didn't make much sense.

Latest posts

Back