X-Men Series Discussion (Spoilers)

This issue was lousy. I can't even remember what was happening. All I remember is that Lady Mastermind uses an illusion to get some guys to reveal who somebody is, who has been cutting and splicing mutant genes. I think the guy behind it was a former X-Men villain, but I've already forgotten the name.

Not a very good issue.

this was ok at best

it was actually quite dissapointing to me because somewhere along the line (before this issue was released), i assumed that pandemic was going to be gambit don't know why, the solits said that pandemic had captured rogue because he had something to do with her or something, and carey had said that he was going to do something with gambit eventually, and plus what better name change could gambit have used then pandemic now that he can create toxins and stuff

2/5

This issue was lousy. I can't even remember what was happening. All I remember is that Lady Mastermind uses an illusion to get some guys to reveal who somebody is, who has been cutting and splicing mutant genes. I think the guy behind it was a former X-Men villain, but I've already forgotten the name.

Not a very good issue.
What's that? Please McCheese, write a detailed synopsis and review so that people have more info than you didn't like it. Why sure Proj, I'd be delighted to.

We open with Pan talking to two chicks. He tells them that the data stolen will lead the X-Men to one of their American operatives and he's sure one of them will spill the beans and lead the X-Men to them. Which is the plan.

Cut to a chick beating a guy in a drinking game. She says that she learned it from someone named Goynes. When his friends unwittingly finger him she reveals that she is Lady Mastermind and attacks, but is delayed by his friends. Outside Rogue, Karima, and Iceman are waiting and they catch him.

Back at the mansion Cable is fixing up the Conquistador with Sam, while Cyke tries to get a straight answer on why exactly they need to leave. Cable tells him he doesn't know as he isn't calling the shots. Sam uses this chance to remind readers that his brother is dead, so he doesn't want to stick around the place he died.

Cut back to Rogue's team. After a lot of chatter Rogue leaches the info out of Goynes. She finds out Pan is Richard Palance an old friend of Prof X. She also discovered a way to get to Pan's lab, something called the Sea Eagle. They leave, but not before Mastermind leaves some nasty dreams in Goynes head for cutting her up.

Back at the mansion Sam, Cable, Cyke and Emma listen to Beast tell them that the walking corpse from like 6 issues ago (is this subplot ever going anywhere?) was long dead and something was in his brain and now it's gone.

Elsewhere, two guards talk about setting a building on fire. Until one of them kicks the crap out of the other. It's Mystique. Rogue and the others move in and easily subdue the bad guys. Mystique says it was too easy, Rogue says that's the way it should be. Lady Mastermind kicks a helpless scientist. Rogue lectures her and leaves with a threat to make her get naked. Not exactly the most ominous threat ever. Unless of course you're in prison, but that's a whole different thing. Maybe. Did Rogue switch teams after Gambit? Anyway, the place is soaked in kerosene. While they search Mystique and Iceman discuss which light he looks best in and Karima and Rogue find a teleport gate. Rogue freaks out because it Mystique called it, this is a trap. Three blood mansters(?), I don't know their gooey and red, anywho three of these things come through the gate and inform Rogue that she can't use her fire powers or she'll burn the place down around her. She says she doesn't need them. Turns out she does as she is easily captured. They go back through the teleporter and escape before the rest of the X-Men arrive. On the other side Rogue is greeted by Pan who tries to look creepy as he tells her that Pan is short for pandemic. And here I was hoping he was named after the friendly half goat boy.

2.5/5 - Not the best issue, but hopefully the stuff they set up will be good.

McCheese said:
What's that? Please McCheese, write a detailed synopsis and review so that people have more info than you didn't like it. Why sure Proj, I'd be delighted to.

Dude, what's with all of the posts that feel like personal attacks? I was saying the story was so bad, I couldn't even remember what was happening. I'm not going to go reread something that I didn't like, just so I can remember what happen to tell others who probably don't even care.

Besides, if you're looking for a synopsis, there are plenty of other sites out there that do them.

Dude, what's with all of the posts that feel like personal attacks? I was saying the story was so bad, I couldn't even remember what was happening. I'm not going to go reread something that I didn't like, just so I can remember what happen to tell others who probably don't even care.

Besides, if you're looking for a synopsis, there are plenty of other sites out there that do them.
Wasn't trying to attack you. Sorry if it came out that way.

#194 wasn't too bad. Not much to it, and the ending wasnt much of an impacting one. And not liking much how they draw Iceman with a diffrent "ice-do" every time. Doesn't look good.

Thought this was very good from the link I gave to CBR, dealing with Cable:

Another member of Rogue's team, Cable, is known for having far reaching agendas. He does have his own reasons for being on the team and they might not be what readers expect. "His original decision to fight with the team – and I'd put it like that, to fight alongside them rather than join – was because he saw the threat of the Children of the Vault [the enemy the team encountered in Carey's first storyline]," Carey explained. "He saw the incredible transfer of energy taking place and realized something of world threatening proportions was happening. That's why he came to the mansion and got involved in the 'Supernovas' story arc. And then there are other reasons why he hangs around for awhile after that.

"X-Men" #197, pages 1 and 2
"I've got this scene in an upcoming arc where Cable is talking to his friend and confidante Irene Merriweather [who plays a regular supporting role in 'Cable & Deadpool'] and she says, 'Why are you doing this?'" Carey continued. "He tells her, 'On some level it appeals to me; dealing with immediate threats instead of always taking in the big picture and thinking in the long term.' He was a soldier for many years and I do think it appeals to him to be a soldier again – to be able to tackle problems that are direct and uncomplicated. Whether that will sustain him and whether he'll stick around with the group in the longer term are obviously open questions. He's got other responsibilities, more than anybody else on the team and he's going to be pulled in other directions."

Many of those those responsibilities Cable deals with are depicted in his own book, "Cable & Deadpool," and they've made him very unpopular with forces inside the U.S. government. With Cable fighting alongside former terrorists like Mystique and professional assassins like Sabretooth, readers can expect the U.S. and other governments to be very concerned about Rogue's band of X-men. "This is another reason why they're leaving the X-Mansion," Carey said. "It's not explicitly stated but they're capable of drawing too much heat. So it makes sense for them to operate outside of U.S. soil. They're sort of peripatetic; from #194 onwards their base of operations is the Conquistador, the highly advanced flying tanker which was used by the Children.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll do the summary, ya bunch of slackers.

Starts off with Karima, badly damaged calling for help from Cable and Cannonball. They seem to be having problems themselves and ask if she and the others can pull back. Karima says no as she lies broken on the floor, Lady Mastermind is unconscious against the wall, and Iceman is frozen solid (not in his usual good way) as she says they aren't going anywhere. She continues to broadcast and explains how they got where they are.

Flashback. Back at the Sea Eagle the team bickers about how to get Rouge back, Mystique seems especially concerned and less than polite to Karima. Karima pulls apart her own circuitry to get the transporter working. Lady M complains about a headache, but isn't about to pass up a chance to get Pan. Karima gets the transport working, but tells them it'll be rough. That turns out to be an understatement, as Lady M finds herself in the clouds above Calcutta and calls for help as she starts to fall. Iceman is worse off because he finds himself in a wall. Which would have killed him if he wasn't in Ice form. He pulls himself together and saves Lady M. Mystique appears and disappears. Karima comes through last and comes out ok, but she can't tell where Mystique went. Cops come and Lady M disguises them in women's robes. Iceman complains about not being disguised as a man. Lady M has a funny line about how if God couldn't make him a man, how was she supposed to.

Elsewhere on the Conquistador Cable and Sabertooth decide that now is as good a time as ever to see which one of them is the bigger man, but before they can wip 'em out Cable gets a transmition from Karima explaining the situation. Cable has Sam show Sabes to his 'quarters' which it turns out is a torpedo tube. A funny little scene insues with Sabes threatening Cannonballs.

Back in Calcutta the remaining members of the team show up at a nice, peaceful looking building. Lady M realizes it's an illusion and fixes it. They break in to the building the loud way. They kick some guards asses and Lady M shows a new power as she manages to blast someone with her head, Drake calls her on it. She says he's dreaming. A Peon informs Pan that they are in the Gene Bank, which seems to upset Pan enough to make him deal with it personally. Lady M tries to hit him with an illusion, he reverses it on her. Bobby asks "Pincers?" Karima confirms it. They attack. He takes them down as he babbles about touching a lot of different mutants. Dirty. Bobby blows up some, equipment. Pan flips and attacks.

Sam and Nate close in on their location, but Nate can't bodyslide. Some sort of jamming device.

Pan finishes off Karima and Bobby with different powers that he seems to have siphoned off different mutants. Thomas Jones, Shiro Yashida, and Page Guthrie are mentioned. Then he drops the big name, Jean Grey. He talks about the unreal power he took from his encounter with her as he tosses the Conquistador around the sky.

Sam and Nate discuss they're options, Sam says that they stripped all the weapons off the Conquistador. Nate says no they didn't and even though everyone knows what comes next, the single splashpage of Sabertooth getting shot out of the torpedo tube and hurtling towards their location is still great.

4/5 - Great dialogue. The villain finally seems threatening. And shooting Sabertooth out of a flying tanker ships torpedo tube was almost worth the price tag on it's own. The only thing I have to complain about is that Lady M and Karima are becoming two of my favorite characters on the book and they aren't going to be around much longer.

Last edited:
Actual cover to X-Men #199

XMEN199COVER_100.jpg

I didn't get the last issue of my subscription, so this issue didn't make too much sense, but from what I could get from it, I liked it.

I'm not a huge fan of a guy who can steal the powers of all these mutants and somehow needs Rogue to do it. It's just too easy. I want a little bit more complexity in my villians.

Did anyone read the annual?

It's kind of hard to summarize because I didn't know a majority of the characters, but it seems that Northstar and his sister are going to join the team now.

I think the best part was the fact that there are no mutants being born, and that the current generation are going to be the last (which of course will be retconned out in a couple of years).

And at the end, I'm sure Exodus bows down before Apocalypse. :shock:

EDIT: I'm mistaken, it's not Apocalypse, but... Mr. Sinister.

Last edited:
Thats what i was and still am confused about...

Sinister or Apocalypse?

What makes you sure its the latter? I thought for sure that they'd at least show the gem in his forehead if it was him.

Thats what i was and still am confused about...

Sinister or Apocalypse?

What makes you sure its the latter? I thought for sure that they'd at least show the gem in his forehead if it was him.

I went to Carey's site and the posters are saying that it's Sinister because of the height of the boots... :?

Latest posts

Back