Y: The Last Man - series discussion (spoilers)

Wow....I read the summary and it does sound slightly underwhelming. But I guess when you think about it, how else would a story like this end?

It was a fantastic bittersweet ending. And if you guys were really big fans of the book, you wouldn't let a summary dictate your feelings for the issue. In fact, I can't believe you let yourselves be spoiled in this final issue.

I did like the ending, how he escaped at the end, probably so he could die near 355's grave.

But, they still didn't explain the plague, he left it up to the reader I guess, for there explanation. Though he did say he told us what the plague was I never got it I guess.

But it was a good ending.

I did like the ending, how he escaped at the end, probably so he could die near 355's grave.

But, they still didn't explain the plague, he left it up to the reader I guess, for there explanation. Though he did say he told us what the plague was I never got it I guess.

But it was a good ending.

If it happened in real life you'd probably never find out. I like it when authors do things like that, the point of the story wasn't about finding out why it happened. Like the briefcase in Ronin or pulp fiction, it doesn't matter what's in them that's not the point. We don't find out 355's name either. I like the moral ambiguity left over the culper ring.

Now this series is over, but at least I've got DIrishB's timeline to look forward too. Let's see him take this issue apart. I also want to go back and read the play within the book thing...the drama performers story.

I thought this was really good. A fitting end, and satisfying. I don't have any questions about it or want to see more of anything. I imagine Yorrick went to the tree where 355 and & are. His sister's happy, Dr Mann and rose are happy. Good ending, especially the first shot of Yorrick in the straightjacket..that was awsome.

If it happened in real life you'd probably never find out. I like it when authors do things like that, the point of the story wasn't about finding out why it happened. Like the briefcase in Ronin or pulp fiction, it doesn't matter what's in them that's not the point. We don't find out 355's name either. I like the moral ambiguity left over the culper ring.
Bah I hate those endings, if you're going to finish something, than finish it put the final nail in the coffin. I like to have closure in my endings (I didn't read this, but I'm talking endings in general), in fact I love complete closure, why go all the way to an ending and leave it unfinished? I personally don't like that

Bah I hate those endings, if you're going to finish something, than finish it put the final nail in the coffin. I like to have closure in my endings (I didn't read this, but I'm talking endings in general), in fact I love complete closure, why go all the way to an ending and leave it unfinished? I personally don't like that

I would be pissed off if he left out something key to the story, like who killed 355 or what happened to some of the main characters, but this was all dealt with. The things he doesn't make explicit are the things that aren't vital to the story...almost to emphasise that they don't matter and they're not the things BKV wants you to worry about.

Anyone read it yet?

YES! Read it in my car outside the comic shop. I had to hold it up next to the window towards the end of the comic, as it got dark during the read and I was forced to read by streetlight. It was still awesome.

Clones, clones everywhere!

:lol:

It was a fantastic bittersweet ending. And if you guys were really big fans of the book, you wouldn't let a summary dictate your feelings for the issue. In fact, I can't believe you let yourselves be spoiled in this final issue.

Agree on all points.

Agreed. Ambiguous, Leave-it-up-to-the-reader endings are hard to pull off, but as you pointed out, the cause of the plague/355's real name, etc, weren't the point of the story. I think the ending fit the rest of the tale perfectly...in other words, it was the perfect ending.

Now this series is over, but at least I've got DIrishB's timeline to look forward too. Let's see him take this issue apart.

I'm at work on it now.

EDIT: Y: The Last Man - The COMPLETE Timeline

I also want to go back and read the play within the book thing...the drama performers story.

I thought this was really good. A fitting end, and satisfying. I don't have any questions about it or want to see more of anything. I imagine Yorrick went to the tree where 355 and & are. His sister's happy, Dr Mann and rose are happy. Good ending, especially the first shot of Yorrick in the straightjacket..that was awsome.

Exactly my line of thinking.

We got complete closure. The cause of the plague was revealed several times over...its just up to the reader to decide which version they prefer as the "true" cause.

I would be pissed off if he left out something key to the story, like who killed 355 or what happened to some of the main characters, but this was all dealt with. The things he doesn't make explicit are the things that aren't vital to the story...almost to emphasise that they don't matter and they're not the things BKV wants you to worry about.

Ninja, you're reading my mind, man.

Y - The Last Man #60: 5/5

It definitly deserves it. Nice job, Vaughan.

Last edited:
We got complete closure. The cause of the plague was revealed several times over...its just up to the reader to decide which version they prefer as the "true" cause.

Okay, as long as it's not like the Sopranos ending or something I'm good

Finally read the last issue...I picked it up at the LCS yesterday but had to go back and read the previous issue to remember where I was.

I totally prefer this type of ending over something that spoonfeeds forced endings to stories and subplots. I like that we don't know what *really* caused the plague. Or what happened to Yorrick. What difference does it make? That last page was fantastic.

Finally read the issue. The summary did not do it justice at all.

And I cried at Ampersand's death. Ever since I got the dog, I've become a total softy for animals. Too bad they're too delicious to give up.

Latest posts

Back