300 [movie discussion; spoilers]

Re: 300- The Movie

Saw it in IMAX today. Awesome. It better not get ignored at the Oscars like Sin City did.

Found a couple of cool .gifs as well(maybe these have been posted here already. I'm not going to go through the whole thread to check):

3002.gif

Spartanspears.gif

sparta.gif

I haven't seen 300, but it won't do well at the Oscars. Not because of quality. Simply because the Oscars don't want to be associated with films of such hard-boiled qualities.

I personally don't want this film to win any Oscars aside from the technical aspects like cinematography and special effects and whatnot.

Films like this and Sin City are absolutely great.....but they don't deserve to be in the same categories as films like Crash or Million Dollar Baby. They're just 2 totally different beasts in nature.

Last edited:

I personally don't want this film to win any Oscars aside from the technical aspects like cinematography and special effects and whatnot.

Films like this and Sin City are absolutely great.....but they don't deserve to be in the same categories as films like Crash or Million Dollar Baby. They're just 2 totally different beasts in nature.
I agree.

But only because being in the same category as Million Dollar Baby would be INSULTING to 300 and Sin City.

And I'm saying that as someone who isn't a FAN of 300 and Sin City.

I totally agree, and those are the categories I mentioned.

But Sin City wasn't even nominated in those, and that was a disgrace.

I agree.

But only because being in the same category as Million Dollar Baby would be INSULTING to 300 and Sin City.

And I'm saying that as someone who isn't a FAN of 300 and Sin City.

Ourchair = Ultra-Cool x1500

Million Dollar Baby sucked absolute ***.

Nothing beats:

"It will be slow. It will be painful. You will not enjoy it." I thought they were describing "Troy" with those lines. That movie took me 2 months to watch.

I saw this last Tuesday at a critic's showing and my lazy butt never bothered to post a review.

I was actually in too much awe to write. The thing I caught onto that many people haven't mentioned is the 1950's technicolor look it had. PLus, when you see it again after reading the graphic novel, note that during the combat scenes where it becomes Matrix-stop motion, the stops are on panels from the comic.

I think this film is going to break the Oscar mold. Gladiator did. Gerard Butler was much better in this than Crowe was in Gladiator. According to Ain't It Cool, Butler is being courted to play Snake Plissken in the Escape From NY remake.

Now that might be cool, or it might be slow & painful with no enjoyment.

Gladiator.
I hope you're wrong. This deserves, at the very least, nods for best cinematography, art direction, and costume design.
It will get nods and will probably win at least two of those.

Movies that translate works of art into a real medium always seem to. Sin City just got snubbed.

Pretty kick-*** movie, if I do say so myself. I liked the special effects, but nothing topped the hunchback gettin' some LOVING. :)

Ourchair = Ultra-Cool x1500

Million Dollar Baby sucked absolute ***.
It wasn't THAT bad.

But see, Million Dollar Baby was a better film when it was still called Girlfight and starred Michelle Rodriguez.
ourchair said:
I forgot to mention that last Wednesday, while watching this movie, my nuts were ashamed of me.

Then they crawled up to my face and proceeded to beat me up while yelling at me, "Don't even think of crying, you *****-faced sonuva*****!"

Then they stole my girlfriend.
I went to see it again, and I saw my nuts at the theater.

They were still with my girlfriend, but this time they had my sister too.

Then they laughed at me, because I was watching the movie ALONE and called me a loser.

I cry.

Last edited:

"Its not the whips they fear...." had the whole theater laughing out loud when I saw it. It was excellent, best movie all year by far. Now I want to go out and buy the graphic novel.

"Its not the whips they fear...." had the whole theater laughing out loud when I saw it. It was excellent, best movie all year by far. Now I want to go out and buy the graphic novel.

Do it - it's very good.

I might be seeing it next weekend...

Until then, I continue to be a total girlie-man.

Latest posts

Back