300 [movie discussion; spoilers]

Re: 300- The Movie

I must say, I'm somewhat worried that we haven't heard from Doom on this movie.

The only explaination is that it was simply too beautiful/awesome for words.

I spent all morning writing a full out review for this film.

And then in a Joey Pants as Ben Urich moment---I deleted it all. Let me just say this:

300 gave me oak.

Allow me to ellaborate......

I didn't go see this with anyone---just myself. I grabbed my jacket, keys and wallet and headed to the IMAX. It was a good thing that I went by myself too. This movie gave me wood. Seriously. If I had taken a girl to see this....if she would've touched me during this...I would've cum.

Hmmm....too much?

Doom approves of this film. Probably the greatest comic movie ever. This was the PERFECT adaptation of Miller's graphic novel. It was like pages ripped straight from the book and thrown onto screen. I could literally see the pages in my mind.

I sat with a smile thru the whole film. I will definitely see this again in theaters....and I will own whatever Super-Ultra-Mega-Gigantic-Special Collectors Edition DVD they throw out there.

Some might say the acting was cheesy and dialogue was even cheesier...but we're talking about a film based on a comic book, written by a guy with a flare for the dramatic and noiresque interests. It was supposed to be like that.

And some might say it was too violent and bloody. Well we are talking about a gladiator film based on a battle. I'd expect no less. And the way the blood was digitally drawn in for stylish purposes was brilliant. The action of this film is like Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" high off a bad mixture of crack, meth, PCP and drunk off a bottle of vodka and 36 Redbulls.

If this film were a real life man....I'd go gay for it.

Some pictures from CBR:

300D-01347.jpg

300D-3052r.jpg

I spent all morning writing a full out review for this film.

And then in a Joey Pants as Ben Urich moment---I deleted it all. Let me just say this:

300 gave me oak.

Allow me to ellaborate......

I didn't go see this with anyone---just myself. I grabbed my jacket, keys and wallet and headed to the IMAX. It was a good thing that I went by myself too. This movie gave me wood. Seriously. If I had taken a girl to see this....if she would've touched me during this...I would've cum.

Hmmm....too much?

Doom approves of this film. Probably the greatest comic movie ever. This was the PERFECT adaptation of Miller's graphic novel. It was like pages ripped straight from the book and thrown onto screen. I could literally see the pages in my mind.

I sat with a smile thru the whole film. I will definitely see this again in theaters....and I will own whatever Super-Ultra-Mega-Gigantic-Special Collectors Edition DVD they throw out there.

Some might say the acting was cheesy and dialogue was even cheesier...but we're talking about a film based on a comic book, written by a guy with a flare for the dramatic and noiresque interests. It was supposed to be like that.

And some might say it was too violent and bloody. Well we are talking about a gladiator film based on a battle. I'd expect no less. And the way the blood was digitally drawn in for stylish purposes was brilliant. The action of this film is like Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" high off a bad mixture of crack, meth, PCP and drunk off a bottle of vodka and 36 Redbulls.

If this film were a real life man....I'd go gay for it.
a better review i have not read

I want to dress up as Decapitating Crab Guy for Halloween.

Maybe everybody going to WW: Philly should go as Spartan soldiers.

Better hit the gym, boys!

I want to dress up as Decapitating Crab Guy for Halloween.

Maybe everybody going to WW: Philly should go as Spartan soldiers.

Better hit the gym, boys!
There were guys dress as Spartan's at my premiere. It wasn't that bad except for the fact that you quickly realized they were just wearing speedos with capes and were carrying a stick around.

There were guys dress as Spartan's at my premiere. It wasn't that bad except for the fact that you quickly realized they were just wearing speedos with capes and were carrying a stick around.
20070312.jpg

I'm ready getting into Ctrl+Alt+Del

Okay... Quick Review of the Film.

The bits with Leonidas were ****ing AMAZING. He was a brilliant character, and the entire movie worked because of his resolve and the fact that you loved him instantly... The bits with Xerxes were fantastic as well. Hell, if the Iranians dressed like that these days, I'd wager they'd be running the middle east these days. I loved these parts of the movie and if they were the entirety of the film, I wouldn't have a problem saying that this has the potential of being the best war film in YEARS.

The problem I had with the movie was with the bits back in Sparta that tried to give the movie a political bent that it simply shouldn't have. They painted Sparta as a Republican Democracy (which it wasn't), like America is (and I mean republic as democracy through a senate), and cut pretty much only ONE line from the comic, Leonidas saying "Let's leave Democracy to the Athenians" or something like that. Then basically those sequences turned into "We need to send more troops to fight the people in the middle east"... And the people against sending more troops were depicted as rapists with money from the enemy in their pockets... I wasn't absolutelt sure that they were being political until the queen stabbed him and he bleeded persian coins. The acting was weakest in these segments, aside from the Queen, who had more balls than some of the men out there fighting... I realize that without this, the movie would have only been an hour and a half about... but I wish they could have bulked up the battle scenes rather than make us sit through that garbage.

I mean, Those bits were unnecessary, not from the comic at ALL, and detrimental from the real focus of the movie. not to mention that if the whole story is meant to be told from the mouth of whats-his-name, the one-eyed-storyteller, he wouldn't even have been present for those moments.

8/10 - An Almost Great Movie, but more enjoyable than anything I've seen in months, something I will definitely watch and enjoy repeatedly in the future

I do want to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that I enjoyed the **** out of this movie, and Spartans are about the greatest human beings ever to live... Perhaps once I own the DVDs I'll just skip the pointless bits and get on with the MANLY ACTION.

Last edited:

I do want to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that I enjoyed the **** out of this movie, and Spartans are about the greatest human beings ever to live... Perhaps once I own the DVDs I'll just skip the pointless bits and get on with the MANLY ACTION.
The DVD should have an alternate playback setting --- the MANLY ACTION cut --- which pretty much plays the entire movie with all non-manly chapters and scenes removed.

I enjoyed the movie in it's entirety. I think you shouldn't look too much into the movie, just enjoy it.

Man, that picture of Miller in front of all the dead bodies is gonna be my new background after I tweak it a little bit.

I don't think I've ever left a movie with the simultaneous desires to love, kill, destroy, create, cry, & copulate before 300.

I don't think I've ever left a movie with the simultaneous desires to love, kill, destroy, create, cry, & copulate before 300.

Totally. What a movie to provoke all the emotions.

And I agree to an extent with DSF. I understand that they needed to add the political aspect of the film in order to stretch it out....and when you compare the acting to the warrior acting, the political acting seems weak (aside from the Queen who played her part perfectly). The film could've done without it......but IMO they didn't hinder the film either.

Iran hates this movie.
Iran thinks it's American propaganda.
Crazy Iran.

I really need to see this, I forgot to and that one line "THIS IS SPARTA!" Alone makes me want to see this.

The quenn was one of the best characters on the movie.

She showed what it meant to be a bad *** Spartan woman. There need to be more women like that. As long as they're hot like bad *** Spartan women.

The quenn was one of the best characters on the movie.

She showed what it meant to be a bad *** Spartan woman. There need to be more women like that. As long as they're hot like bad *** Spartan women.

She did an awesome job.

Like I told my wife, she didn't look *hot*. Pretty, sure, but not *hot*. But she was so noble and devoted that it made her one of the hottest movie babes I've seen in a while.

Latest posts

Back