Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

Really good episode.

Meh. The first two episodes of Gotham have been infinitely better than AoS Season 2's first two episodes. And I say that as a diehard MCU fan.

I liked that they really furthered Fitz's story along and gave him a buddy.

Yeah, looks like that dude (whose name I forget, the mechanic guy) may help bring him out of himself more. I have a feeling Fitz will be exposed to some device (possibly that obelisk since Raina picked it up and lived, indicating it may have other abilities besides just, you know, killing people by doing... well, whatever it is that it does... Perhaps it can also heal, including Fitz's mind). I also have a feeling Simmons
is working for Hydra as an undercover agent for Coulson, possibly even against Coulson's wishes to see if she could get ahold of advanced tech or alien tech like the obelisk that Hydra may have so she can steal it and use it to help Fitz recover

Coulson is back to being Coulson again but that carving scene was pretty damn creepy. Really happy to see them putting focus back on that. They've really improved a lot since last season and they're juggling a lot of balls now.

Eh, I haven't seen much that indicates the show has vastly improved. Sure, it's used Creel in the first couple episodes, and he'll likely return, and Talbot is a regular guest star, so at least they're using more characters from the comics. But ultimately that's just fan service. And while fan service is cool, it's sad when it's really the only worthwhile thing about the show. The writing is pretty weak.

Don't get me wrong. I like the show as an extension of the MCU, which I adore. But AoS is probably the weakest part of that universe. It's had a few really good episodes, particularly the Eye Spy episode and the tie-ins with CA-TWS, but that's only three out of 22. That's not a good track record.

They just don't seem to be trying. There aren't any really twists and turns, and when there are, you see them coming a mile away. The dialogue is often horribly clichéd, and the characters are all very one dimensional. While there has certainly been character development, it hasn't been imaginative or new. It's all essentially just recycled archetypes from other stories.

I was really hoping a Season 2 would have a new and more talented team of writers, but so far I've seen no indication of that. Hopefully it'll get better. Interested to see next week's episode with Simmons (cuz she's hot) and Hydra.

I'm curious to see if this will be like the most recent seasons of the Marvel Universe shows and there will be story arcs or if it really is serialized completely now. Hunter and Mac really got fleshed out and are pretty great additions to the team. Just wish Lucy Lawless could have stayed.

It's possible Isabel may return. I mean, it seems like she died, but it seems like a huge red herring to bring on Lucy Lawless, make such a big deal of her being on the show, and then kill her off in the first episode. Have a feeling she'll return. Perhaps Hydra get ahold of her body and are able to revive her through the Obelisk. Maybe she gets a sweet metal arm (since the obelisk rotted off the other one and they cut it off) and becomes Madame Hydra or something.

Overall it was just a really good episode though.

Really don't get how you found this to be "really good" while giving the Gotham pilot a 3/10.

Yeah looking forward to next week's episode so I can find out what's been happening with Simmons. Maybe working for Hydra requires her to wear tight leather pants.

Yup.

There's only one aspect I disagree with:

Utilizing the same procedure that brought Coulson back to life, they too could have been infused with Kree blood/genetics. What's more, von Strucker and his HYDRA scientists could have invented (or reinvented) terrigenesis, which would grant Wanda and Pietro their super abilities -- and perhaps make them a little unstable. Wanda and Pietro could be the first of many such powered Inhumans, as Coulson and Skye both seem to be affected by the same transfusion.

This is a stretch, as it assumes Wanda and Pietro were infused with Kree blood, which means Hydra had access to the Kree. We know they did way back in 1945, since it was indicated in AoS 2x01 that the SSR obtained the Kree later seen in the SHIELD secret facility from Hydra, so there may be some credence to that.

However, it was also indicated in the post credit scene of CA-TWS that Wanda and Pietro's powers came from Loki's staff. Perhaps the exposure to the staff combined with the Kree blood led to their powers, we don't know yet.

But Coulson nor Skye have shown any indications of superhuman abilities, nor do I think they will (beyond Coulson's alien writing habit... which begs the question of why Skye isn't doing that as well).

There's only one aspect I disagree with:

This is a stretch, as it assumes Wanda and Pietro were infused with Kree blood, which means Hydra had access to the Kree. We know they did way back in 1945, since it was indicated in AoS 2x01 that the SSR obtained the Kree later seen in the SHIELD secret facility from Hydra, so there may be some credence to that.

However, it was also indicated in the post credit scene of CA-TWS that Wanda and Pietro's powers came from Loki's staff. Perhaps the exposure to the staff combined with the Kree blood led to their powers, we don't know yet.

But Coulson nor Skye have shown any indications of superhuman abilities, nor do I think they will (beyond Coulson's alien writing habit... which begs the question of why Skye isn't doing that as well).
Yeap. Definitely.

Could Kyle McLachlan be the High Evolutionary? I thought he was going to be Jonathan Drew but they could easily merge those two characters together.

Could Kyle McLachlan be the High Evolutionary? I thought he was going to be Jonathan Drew but they could easily merge those two characters together.

Anything's possible. I guess it depends on if Marvel or Fox own the film rights to the character. He has appeared in various titles, but did appear in the FF series a lot so it's possible Fox owns the rights. However it's probably more likely Marvel does have the rights.

Okay, so I'm finally caught up!

Then you also probably missed what appeared to be the blue man in a crate in the 1940's

woah, I totally missed that!

So as I finished rewatching season 1, I came to the conclusion that both Skye and Raina are inhumans who haven't gone through terragenesis yet. Raina is interested in "gifteds" she looks at Skye's DNA and says they have something in common. She tells Garret she is disappointed that he isn't actually clairvoyant because she wanted to ask him a question. Then she asks him what she will become, after he injects himself with the GH325 and gains cosmic awareness (I'm assuming that's what happened - that the Kree was Mar Vell and injecting people with his DNA gives them a taste of his cosmic awareness).

The GH325 didn't affect Skye adversely because she already has Kree DNA in her, being an inhuman. Raina wasn't killed by the obelisk for the same reason.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm finally caught up! woah, I totally missed that! So as I finished rewatching season 1, I came to the conclusion that both Skye and Raina are inhumans who haven't gone through terragenesis yet. Raina is interested in "gifteds" she looks at Skye's DNA and says they have something in common. She tells Garret she is disappointed that he isn't actually clairvoyant because she wanted to ask him a question. Then she asks him what she will become, after he injects himself with the GH325 and gains cosmic awareness (I'm assuming that's what happened - that the Kree was Mah Vell and injecting people with his DNA gives them a taste of his cosmic awareness). The GH325 didn't affect Skye adversely because she already has Kree DNA in her, being an inhuman. Raina wasn't killed by the obelisk for the same reason.

Good theory. I'd actually be impressed with the writers for planning that and executing it so well, should that be the case.

Nothing? Huh. I thought this week was great. Season 2 has been so much better than the majority of season 1. I'm actually finding myself caring about the characters, and everything is infinitely more interesting with SHIELD as the underdog.

The Fitz scenes are so damn depressing. It's so hard to watch such a nice guy go through so much suffering. He's gonna be crushed when he finds out Simmons is HYDRA. If he doesn't already know that is...

The Fitz scenes are so damn depressing. It's so hard to watch such a nice guy go through so much suffering. He's gonna be crushed when he finds out Simmons is HYDRA. If he doesn't already know that is...

Undercover though...

And whatshisname that I mentioned before is Mac. He looks like a Mac.

Undercover though...

And whatshisname that I mentioned before is Mac. He looks like a Mac.

Yeah, but that's not only something for him to worry about but also Coulson is hiding it from him. He's not going to like that.

Yeah, but that's not only something for him to worry about but also Coulson is hiding it from him. He's not going to like that.

okay, fair enough. You said she "is Hydra," which made me think you were under the impression she was bad. But I get what you mean now.

Nothing? Huh. I thought this week was great. Season 2 has been so much better than the majority of season 1. I'm actually finding myself caring about the characters, and everything is infinitely more interesting with SHIELD as the underdog.

Agreed, they are doing well with the character interactions.

I find brainwashing as weaksauce writing though.

Simmons is HYDRA

Story? I'm not watching the show but am mildly interested in knowing what is going on.

I stopped watching near the end of season 1 and she seemed on the up and up.

I find brainwashing as weaksauce writing though.

I just liked that they called it the Faustus method. I wonder if that will come into play with the movies and the death of Captain America story that I'm sure they're going to tell eventually.

Story? I'm not watching the show but am mildly interested in knowing what is going on.

I stopped watching near the end of season 1 and she seemed on the up and up.

She's undercover as a Hydra scientist. In the last episode she just convinced one of the high ups that they could trust her and she's been upgraded from a grunt lab scientist to someone who "works upstairs" with the actual bad guys. Fitz, who has suffered brain damage from what Ward did to them, didn't know until recently that she was on assignment and still doesn't know she's under cover with Hydra.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back