All Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder series discussion (spoilers)

"Frank Miller is the George Lucas of comic books."

That's just.....wrong. I actually like All-star. Sure it isn't the best Batman story I've ever read but it does have it's moments and I'm usually looking forward to the next issue.

Each to their own.

Welcome, Vegetarot460! :D

I love this series. It's vivid and emotional and unpredictable. All the real breakthroughs in superhero history have come from people who took the old standards and rethought them from the ground up. No, Robin isn't going insane, the carefully planned out story is about two damaged people making each other whole, like a romantic movie. Miller is also having fun ridiculing the genre much like Harvey Kurtzman did with SuperDuperMan in Mad. It's a measure of his skill that he can tell a story and have fun at the same time. If ASB&R is really pissing you off you are taking life too seriously.

I love this series. It's vivid and emotional and unpredictable. All the real breakthroughs in superhero history have come from people who took the old standards and rethought them from the ground up. No, Robin isn't going insane, the carefully planned out story is about two damaged people making each other whole, like a romantic movie. Miller is also having fun ridiculing the genre much like Harvey Kurtzman did with SuperDuperMan in Mad. It's a measure of his skill that he can tell a story and have fun at the same time. If ASB&R is really pissing you off you are taking life too seriously.

Exactly. I re-read the run so far yesterday, and I have, like, four paragraphs worth of why this book is pretty wicked awesome.

That's exactly how I feel

You see how the cookie crumbles now? Everyone is giving ASB&R:TBW it's props now. How long have I been giving this series it's props? Oh, that's right... SINCE DAY ONE.

You're a bunch of Johnny-Come-Latelies.

I win this thread, again. I already won this thread a long time ago, but now that the rest of you are coming around, I win this thread like six hundred fold.

And I'm drunk.

ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN: THE BOY WONDER: BEST BATMAN COMIC EVER.

Don't you ever doubt it. Unless you have original copies of DKR.

Just read whatever the hell issue was the one where Black Canary does teh smooching with the ******* Batman.

She's from County Monaghan. I can't deny Miller's got an impressive attention to detail. Also, it makes her stereotyped Irish-talk more bearable, because people from Monaghan do actually tend to talk like that.

The Monaghan accent is teh sexy. I like Black Canary just a little bit more now.

Last edited:
You should see the cover for the latest issue of Midnighter. Biggest Quitely rip-off ever.

I still need to explain to you guys why this is a good book.

Not I. Its not great, but its a fun read, and does make sense given the Batman we've seen in Miller's TDK Universe.

Miller's Batman is basically bat-**** crazy. He's had his ups and his downs, but he's always been off his rocker. It was evident in his Year One, it became obvious in Spawn/Batman, and he really drove the nail home with All Star B&R. By TDK Returns, early in the story he's mellowed due to retirement and almost achieved normalcy...but thats not for Bruce, and the normal life eats at him. TDK Strikes Again shows the older, matured Bruce, but hints at his insanity through the plot itself (him commanding a rebellious group of kids against an Empirical Government).

Miller's Batman is crazy, and if you don't understand that and want him to act more like the regular DC universe Bats, you're missing the point.

I've always preferred TDK Universe Batman to his regular univese counterpart, mainly because personally TDK Batman is the more realistic portrayal. Miller's Batman is more human, frail, and mortal. Oh, and crazy.

To me, he's a more interesting character.

Speaking of which, is this title still horribly delayed? Doing some checking...ah, here we go:

#10 (7/16/08)
#11 (8/27/08)
#12 (8/27/08???...more likely 9/24/08)

So #10 out end of July, #11 end of August, and according to the DC website #12 will be released the same day as #11. I doubt this and assume its a mistake, and if Miller and Lee can keep up the schedule it should be out 9/24/08.

Also, what ever happened to the "Holy Terror, Batman!"/"Batman vs. Al-Qaeda" graphic novel Miller was working on? Anyone heard anything new about that?

Last edited:
Batman: Year One (Year 0-1)
#1 - "Who I Am How I Come To Be"
#2 - "War Is Declared"
#3 - "Black Dawn"
#4 - "Friend In Need"

Batman vs. Al-Qaeda (Year 10??)
GN - "Holy Terror, Batman!" (2008?)

Spawn/Batman (Year 15)
#1 - "Spawn/Batman"

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder (Year 16)
#1 - "Episode One"
#2 - "Episode Two"
#3 - "Episode Three"
#4 - "Episode Four"
#5 - "Episode Five"
#6 - "Episode Six"
#7 - "Episode Seven"
#8 - "Episode Eight"
#9 - "Episode Nine"
#10 - "Episode Ten" (7/16/08)
#11 - "Episode Eleven" (8/27/08)
#12 - "Episode Twelve" (9/24/08)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Year 30)
#1 - "The Dark Knight Returns"
#2 - "The Dark Knight Triumphant"
#3 - "Hunt The Dark Knight"
#4 - "The Dark Knight Falls"

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again (Year 33)
#1 - "DK2: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Part 1"
#2 - "DK2: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Part 2"
#3 - "DK2: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Part 3"

You knew it was coming. Here's my attempt at a TDK Universe Timeline. It involves a fair amount of guessing (the only reliable bits of time info are given in TDKR, TDKSA, and ASB&R). Year One obviously takes place in the first year. ASB&R I have placed in Year 16, as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl is about 15 in ASB&R, and hadn't been born yet in Year One. The Spawn/Batman is a guess (Robin isn't with him, so it either occurs before ASB&R, or several years afterward, after Robin was supposedly killed--but this doesn't allow a lot of time for Batman to be retired for ten years or more by the time TDKR occurs). TDKR and TDKSA were easy to place, given their specific time references.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back