Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Bass said:
I'm thinking Magneto was responsible for the change in the Danger Room during his tenure as Xorn.
Plus it wasn't actually Magneto. But please lets not bring that up here.

This just reminds me all too much of the last series of Buffy. Last issue, we had wing being coerced into killing himself by a force that wasn't really there (same happened), all the students get tricked into going into the place of most danger (same happened again). I find Whedon's writing ok enough, but his plots seems to be a little blah. I may pick up this issue (I was dropping the title), just to see if this one is better.

icemastertron said:
Aaaand why would you say that? I doubt it.

Well, we see the Magneto statue that was built in Genosha following the Sentinel attack there. Plus, it was at this time Magneto released a virus to cripple all electro-magnetic signals across the world, which was disguised as a farewell message. I wouldn't be surprised if that message disconnected the Danger Room in some way, thus resulting in its ability to notice its contradiction. The DR also says that "mutation" is father's word, and that would apply to Magneto, who, if you remember, was training the new Brotherhood under Xavier's nose in the mansion whilst disguised as Xorn. It's possible that he reconfigured the Danger Room, in a similar vein to taking out Cerebra, in an attempt to undermine the Mansion.

If this is the case, I think it's bad form as its totally tied to a story, in another book, that Whedon didn't write, and while to me, it looks this may be the case, I'd hope Whedon is a better writer than I'm giving him credit for and that this isn't the case.

The only other 'father' it would seem, would be Professor X, simply due to the covers we've seen of the next issues, in which he returns.

Possibly, since the Danger Room is Shi'ar technology, Cassandra Nova, masquerading as the Professor, abused it - though again, this references the same Morrison arc.

In which case, I think while it seems to be pointing to Magneto, I would guess, after thinking it through as I typed the above, that ol' Chuck is the cause for all this for some reason we're unaware of.

Bass said:
Possibly, since the Danger Room is Shi'ar technology, Cassandra Nova, masquerading as the Professor, abused it - though again, this references the same Morrison arc.
That seems a lot more likely than Xorneto's responsibility

Whoever engineered this whole thing has a serious grudge against Xavier. The Sentinel that attacked the school said something about how 'the children will pay for the sins of the father'. HMMMM...and we've all seen the cover to issue #12. I think we're gonna learn about something dark from Xavier's past that the X-Men never knew about.

Dr.Strangefate said:
*tries to comprehend everything happening in thread*

*breaks*

*cries*

*understand's Strangefate's pain and tries to console him*

Oh please, Ultimate E, this must all be child's play to you. You understood the Earth X trilogy, afterall. I still don't get that frozen man thing when Belasco looks at it and realises his identity.

Magneto preteneding to be Xorn is child's play in comparison.

I mean, hey, what about Excalibur and Galactus as a star travelling back and creating sub-atomica? I mean that's weird.

What were we talking about again? :?

Is it just me or was the last arc better? I'm really not liking the Danger-Room-turns-into-a-robot thing.

But I'm guessing it's Cassandra Nova who's behind all that, although I don't like the idea of this tying into one of Morrison's arcs. I didn't actually find out what happened to Cassandra Nova in the end, though. Did she die? Or wasn't she that brain that little girl carried around? Did that die? :p

Bass said:
Oh please, Ultimate E, this must all be child's play to you. You understood the Earth X trilogy, afterall.

Well, Earth X made perfect sense to me. I managed to get through a quarter of Universe X and just couldn't take it anymore. I haven't even tried Paradise X yet.

Bass said:
Magneto preteneding to be Xorn is child's play in comparison.

Oh, you misunderstood - I understand Morrison's NXM completely and love it - it's this thread that is giving me headaches. :p

Horanite said:
Is it just me or was the last arc better? I'm really not liking the Danger-Room-turns-into-a-robot thing.

But I'm guessing it's Cassandra Nova who's behind all that, although I don't like the idea of this tying into one of Morrison's arcs. I didn't actually find out what happened to Cassandra Nova in the end, though. Did she die? Or wasn't she that brain that little girl carried around? Did that die? :p

She died at the end of an alternate future.

She was not the brain. The brain was like her pet. Nova was absorbed for lack of a better term into Stuff and transformed into Ernst, and her brain was reprogrammed.

Horanite said:
I had reservations during the first arc too but it turned out ok. I'm going to wait and see how this turns out. It could all tie in together wonderfully

Horanite said:
Last Cassandra Nova was mentioned, was in the BRIGHT NEW MOURNING arc in "NEW X-MEN" (before it became just "X-Men" again). She was pronounced dead if I remember correctly. But thinking about it, the danger room did attack Beast and...Cyclops I think it was...Not sure.

Someone help me out here. Memory's a bit shady at the moment....

icemastertron said:
Last Cassandra Nova was mentioned, was in the BRIGHT NEW MOURNING arc in "NEW X-MEN" (before it became just "X-Men" again). She was pronounced dead if I remember correctly. But thinking about it, the danger room did attack Beast and...Cyclops I think it was...Not sure.

Someone help me out here. Memory's a bit shady at the moment....
That was Cassandra Nova's original body. This will take a little explaining but I'll try.

Cassandra Nova possessed Charles Xavier's body wreaking havoc with the X-men and then going into space to do it to the Shi'ar empire. She returned to Earth, ordering the Shi'ar Imperial Guard to cleanse the planet starting with Xaviers. This lead to fights between X-men and Imperial Guard, involving among others, a superguardian named Stuff. He was a shapeshifter. Nova had ditched Xavier's body, I can't remember who she was riding when Emma and the Cuckoos offered to cut a deal. She leave them alone and they give her her original body back. Cassie agrees, jumps into the body and finds its actually Stuff, a robot who's been programed to help and learn after he was defeated before. She's trapped and can never escape.

From there on "Stuff" is referred to as Ernst, being part of Xorneto's special class and thus the Brotherhood he assembles. Ernst possesses super strength and an incredibly weak musculature. Martha Johanssen followed Ernst around constantly, usually tied to his/her arm as her brain in a bubble. Ernst survived Planet X unscathed.

In the Here Comes Tomorrow future, Ernst was still alive, Cassandra (good now) still in control. Martha was still functioning as Cerebra working with "Ernst." She was killed by Phoenix before her memories were returned.

In Bright New Mourning, Scott and Hank are investigating the ruins of the Xavier Institute when they realise that Cassandra Nova's original body was still in storage near the Danger Room. They try and dig her out before accidentally activating the robots which attack them. The robots are dealt with and Cyclops and Beast are distracted by anti-mutant protestors downtown and the body is not mentioned again. Ernst has not, to my knowledge, been shown in the present time since Planet X.

Whew. Wasn't that fun?

Caduceus said:
That was Cassandra Nova's original body. This will take a little explaining but I'll try.

Cassandra Nova possessed Charles Xavier's body wreaking havoc with the X-men and then going into space to do it to the Shi'ar empire. She returned to Earth, ordering the Shi'ar Imperial Guard to cleanse the planet starting with Xaviers. This lead to fights between X-men and Imperial Guard, involving among others, a superguardian named Stuff. He was a shapeshifter. Nova had ditched Xavier's body, I can't remember who she was riding when Emma and the Cuckoos offered to cut a deal. She leave them alone and they give her her original body back. Cassie agrees, jumps into the body and finds its actually Stuff, a robot who's been programed to help and learn after he was defeated before. She's trapped and can never escape.

From there on "Stuff" is referred to as Ernst, being part of Xorneto's special class and thus the Brotherhood he assembles. Ernst possesses super strength and an incredibly weak musculature. Martha Johanssen followed Ernst around constantly, usually tied to his/her arm as her brain in a bubble. Ernst survived Planet X unscathed.

In the Here Comes Tomorrow future, Ernst was still alive, Cassandra (good now) still in control. Martha was still functioning as Cerebra working with "Ernst." She was killed by Phoenix before her memories were returned.

In Bright New Mourning, Scott and Hank are investigating the ruins of the Xavier Institute when they realise that Cassandra Nova's original body was still in storage near the Danger Room. They try and dig her out before accidentally activating the robots which attack them. The robots are dealt with and Cyclops and Beast are distracted by anti-mutant protestors downtown and the body is not mentioned again. Ernst has not, to my knowledge, been shown in the present time since Planet X.

Whew. Wasn't that fun?
Gotcha, thanks. :)

Aha, thankies everyone.

I only ever bought E is for Extinction of the Morrison run and, ironically enough, the one where the Danger Room attacks Beast and, indeed, Cyclops.

Horanite said:
Aha, thankies everyone.

I only ever bought E is for Extinction of the Morrison run and, ironically enough, the one where the Danger Room attacks Beast and, indeed, Cyclops.
Those were probably the two worst parts...

Latest posts

Back