Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Re: Astonishing X-Men - series discussion (spoilers)

Synch said:
yea, I really dug this. I like this twist and the whole time colossus was beating up sebastian I was just waiting for the finale. and I was also wondering how come colossus decided to fight him anyway. That was so stupid.

i know. he's fought shaw like 700x's. must be a slow learning curve. why not just drag him to the toilet and drown em'?

I think this is honestly the stupid comic I've ever read. It really stinks of the way Whedon wrote his Buffy arcs.

1. 'New' bad guys appear.
2. Bad guys stomp good guys.
3. Bad guys underestimate one good guy.
4. Said good guy helps turn the tables.
5. Reenergized good guys stomp bad guys.

I'm just waiting for someone else to come back from the dead or for their to be a forbidden romance between Wolverine and Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

jtg3885 said:
I think this is honestly the stupid comic I've ever read. It really stinks of the way Whedon wrote his Buffy arcs.

1. 'New' bad guys appear.
2. Bad guys stomp good guys.
3. Bad guys underestimate one good guy.
4. Said good guy helps turn the tables.
5. Reenergized good guys stomp bad guys.

I'm just waiting for someone else to come back from the dead or for their to be a forbidden romance between Wolverine and Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

It is very Buffy-ish....only without the signature humor. But I like it.

It's not that uncommon of a formula. I would say that your formula is approximately correct, but Whedon's got more subtlety than what you imply.

MaxwellSmart said:
It's not that uncommon of a formula. I would say that your formula is approximately correct, but Whedon's got more subtlety than what you imply.
No, Whedon is a fanboy who's been lucky enough to get his fanfic published. It's just a smaller scale version of what House of M or Civil War is doing; he thinks that he's come up with something better than what the previous writers were paid to come up with (which is what fan fiction writers do) and unfortunately he's getting money to screw up the universe (which sadly, we fanficcers do not).

Stuff like this is the reason why I don't hold out much hope for his 'printed Season 8' planned comic series for Buffy; he thoroughly trashed the characters in Season 7 and I'm scared of how bad he can mess them up now that he's not limited by what the actors and actresses want, or a SFX budget. And they're HIS characters! How bad is that, when fans think you're too incompetent to write the stuff you created yourself? No wonder most people I know like to pretend that Buffy past the end of seasons 4 or 5 never happened...

jtg3885 said:
he thinks that he's come up with something better than what the previous writers were paid to come up with

Have you ever read an X-Men book before this?

jtg3885 said:
No wonder most people I know like to pretend that Buffy past the end of seasons 4 or 5 never happened...

SO one of those people who thinks that people's lives never changed? Those seasosns they graduated high school, and moved on to college, and life became noticeably darker.

That tends to happen to people once they move away from home. Life seems darker and different for a long time.

But arguing with you is useless, because you never look beyond anyone's opinions other than your own.

As for this issue, overall, it was good.

I await the Kitty ninja chopping people.

Yes. I like that Whedon is screwing up the universe, when he's only working within one X-Men book, and isn't screwing that up. :roll:

JTG, you're wrong and you're being rediculous.

This is a long leap ahead of being a simple fan-fiction. The stories he's written have turned this book, which was once just going to be a miniseries, i'm sure, into the central title of the X-Men books. Very few people would say that any of the other X-books are outperforming Whedon, and on top of that, he's acknowledging Morrison continuity in a way that Claremont refuses too, and the other writers simply haven't known how to.

We don't know who the bad-guy in the cloak is. That's going to be the major reveal...

Honestly, I think its Madelyne Pryor. I think the Goblin Queen is back.

I also think that Emma is going to end this somehow. Sacrifice herself to save one of the others. Because I do think that she's having trouble with doing all this.

Every story is a formula. Look up Joseph Campbell and the Monomyth.

What matters is how that formula is used to tell a fantastic story.

What makes this a fantastic story?

The characters. Whedon nailed each and every one of the characters, but Kitty Pryde more than anyone else.

Also, the introduction of SWORD rocks my socks.

MaxwellSmart said:
I was hoping for more action, but it served as great build up. I was kind of disappointed to see that Danger survived. I hope she bites the big one by the end of this.

How did she surive???? shes not the mystery person in the cloak

Dude, this issue blew me away.

Danger and Ord coming together...:shock:

I love the Gosh chick comment from Kitty and it was a nice touch with the homage to Wolverine at the end.

I loved what she did to Beast and Wolverine. Bloody brillant.

"Please do hush."

"The moose has my scent again. O!"

:lol:

I think that the cloak chick will be Madelyne Pryor

Last edited:

Y'know, I hate to do this. I really do. But in some ways (Some, I say) I've got to agree with J. This is becoming a lot like fanfiction.

It's not bad fanfiction by any stretch of the imagination. I've read fanfic that's better than a lot of the crap the X-titles are turning out at the moment, and this is good, but it's not really...I dunno how to verbalize it. Some of it's him taking villains he likes and villains that are current and mixing them up; fanfic writers usually write about characters they like and get rid of or ignore ones they don't.

Dr.Strangefate said:
We don't know who the bad-guy in the cloak is. That's going to be the major reveal...
Actually, if you read the "Whats happened previously" section you'll see they're Sebastian Shaw, Cassandra Nova and Emma, obviously, and the other two are Negasonic Teenage Warhead, who was one of Emma's telepathic students on Genosha and the other one is called "Perfection". I'm going to presume that NTW is the weird little goth-y one, simply because she's a younger inexperienced character while the other one is in a bit of a leadership role.

The characters. Whedon nailed each and every one of the characters, but Kitty Pryde more than anyone else.
Eh...this is the fanfic thing. The characters are good. But...in some ways, they're very Buffy, Kitty in particular. I'm no expert on Buffy but even I can see the resemblance. Is this inappropriate? No, it's well known that lots of Buffy was based off X-Men. But...does this make it brilliant? I don't think so.

I like it. I do; it's combining parts of the X-Men I enjoy and it's a good story. But it's not brilliant, and it's outselling everything else because, well, everything else is, at the moment, pretty crap.

thee great one said:
I think that the cloak chick will be Madelyne Pryor
Decent theory. I like it. I can't think of anything better.
How did she surive???? shes not the mystery person in the cloak
They don't explain how she survived. They show her standing outside Ord's prison cell trying to solicate his cooperation in her plot.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I said it first.

*pouts*
You must have written it in homosexual.

Which of course I can't read... :shifty:

I think kitty was written well. Most people would say she has a useless power or that she is a useless character, but she has a great underdog ability. I think she'll get everyone else in gear. Who is madelyne Pryor?

Hibiki said:
I think kitty was written well. Most people would say she has a useless power or that she is a useless character, but she has a great underdog ability. I think she'll get everyone else in gear. Who is madelyne Pryor?

Jean Grey's clones.

Well, that already sounds confusing as it is. So then who is Rachel?

Hibiki said:
Well, that already sounds confusing as it is. So then who is Rachel?

Jean & Scott's daughter from an alternate timeline.

Latest posts

Back