Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Well, I made a promise to myself, a New Year's Resolution for the year '06, that when I go to college I will hang up my comic book towel so that I can focus on my studies... I merely preparing myself by letting go of something sooner than later.

Goodwill said:
Well, I made a promise to myself, a New Year's Resolution for the year '06, that when I go to college I will hang up my comic book towel so that I can focus on my studies... I merely preparing myself by letting go of something sooner than later.

SAY IT AIN'T SO JIMMY! :shock:

Man, giving up comics? I have a friend who did that too. He gave them up 'cause he became a full-time teacher.

But as for the issue, they start off with the kid who was injected with the cure last arc. He's on a cliff, getting ready to fly, even though he knows he can't anymore (his power was that of flight). The X-Men are shown flying to fight a monster that looks like it's a Godzilla wannabe. The FF guest star, and there was this great halirous line between Logan and Ben.

EXACT WORDS:

Thing: "Didn't they come up with a cure for your kind?"

Logan: "You got a problem with mutants?"

Thing: "I meant Canadians."

We now see the same agent that was with Fury (the girl in the green hair--I think it was green). So it wasn't earth that was in danger; she tells this council she stands before, that an [X-MAN] is destined to destroy the Breakworld. And that:

Qoute:
"And destiny isn't thwarted by diplomats."

The X-Men are now just watching the news, and suddenly the Cuckoo sister show up, with the girl who was with the boy who lost his mutant powers, saying that the boy is missing. They bring a woman, blindfolded, and looking like she's from the streets; as if she was a begger. She takes the blindfold off, revelaing no eyes, but just skin over the area. I can't explain what she said, so I'll quote:

"He cannot leave, yes, thank you. I like him well. I ache. And worse. If he goes away.....

Then, no thank you. Then the new one will come."

The issue ends with that boy, in the danger room, with a lot of blood under him. He had thrown himself off the cliff, but it really wasn't a cliff, just a danger room hologram.

So, there's no indication of who the new villain is going to be, huh? That's interesting... Just how many parts are to this arc?

can't give up comics man, I use them, their history and their themes in my groups and 1 to 1 work. The morals in comics are modern day versions of fairy tales which Carl Jung used when treating people.

I'm sure that regardless of the work you are going into that the ideas in comics can be used in a positive way to enhance your studies.

Science, Maths, English, even labouring.

okay...

it depends on what level of maths you are considering discussing.

but it's all about making the associations.

Let's start with something really, really simple and then move up the ladder of skill:

In Winnie the poo, (which is kind of a comic), Owl was an academic, and he knew that 2+2 = 4. But he didn't know how this applied to the outside world as all he ever involved himself with was books and studying. Winnie the poo didn't know that 2+2 = 4 but he did know that 2 apples plus 2 apples made a very tasty apple pie! What is the point of academia if you cannot place it's purpose into the real world?

Something a little higher up the ladder?

Time travel is all about maths.

What is the quickest way to get from A B?

A straight line is not the answer.

The quickest way to get from A B is to remove what is in between them so A B becomes AB.

Thereby reducing the amount of time it takes to get from A to B.

This is used in Star Trek because the Starship Enterpise warps the space in front of it, (removes the stuff in front of it and therefore can travel much faster, (light speed).

This was also kinda of like what Reed was trying to do with the Negative Zone.

Now I know this is bog standard basic maths but the principles will always be the same wether it's algebra or Quantum physics.

The key to being a good teacher is to speak to the student in a language that they understand, you then stimulate them and in return to the stimuli you get the most appropriate response.

We may all speak English or American/English but your interpretation Ice of what I say will differ from Goody's and UltieE's and XTF's, etc as a result of their upbringing, IQ, EQ, AQ, LQ, MQ, natural motor skills, interests, addictions, etc.

If Goody is a fan of comics it seems silly to not use them as a tool to help him learn.

Latest posts

Back