Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Caduceus said:
Hmm..

Someone, (probably whoever was involved with Wing in the Danger Room last issue) did something to Cerebra. Plus, looks to me like the hicks have found themselves a good ol' fashioned Sentinel. I'm not sure though. There's a lot of things it could be but that was my first reaction

Cooooooolness.... :D

Astonishing X-Men #8 (Spoilers)

Wow, I'm surprised E didn't start a spoiler thread on this earlier! This was just another kam-packed awesome issue! And guess what, I GOT ANOTHER LETTER PRINTED! Yup, my letter is the second letter, not just the second letter of mine that is printed, but also the second letter in the mails page. I feel so proud! :D

But getting to the issue, this was just awesome. Seeing Cyclops act was very cool. But oh man, I so love Lockheed. I don't know why, but he's the cooooliest! It's crazy how everything plays out!

And reading the the Danger Room is ALIVE?! oh god...

This would be the second time that something in the X-Mansion came alive. First Cerebro, now the Danger Room? Oh man...this don't look so good...

Last edited:
So it seems that the thing that Emma has been talking to is actually the danger room or maybe even that mole... I don't know what to think. And was she faking the faint or what? I was really confused with this issue. I think after this story arc, I'll stick with buying the TPBs... if the title continues that is. I just have such a horrible memory...

Anyway, I think the highlights were when Wing rose up all gruesome looking and when Cyclops took off the glasses.

BlackCat said:
So it seems that the thing that Emma has been talking to is actually the danger room or maybe even that mole... I don't know what to think. And was she faking the faint or what? I was really confused with this issue. I think after this story arc, I'll stick with buying the TPBs... if the title continues that is. I just have such a horrible memory...

Anyway, I think the highlights were when Wing rose up all gruesome looking and when Cyclops took off the glasses.
What were you confused about?

Like I just said, I was confused about who was talking to Emma while she was passed out. I've talked to people who thought it was the mole and people who thought it was the Danger Room... At first I thought it was the Danger room, but when I look back I'm not so sure... since the voice sayse "Don't worry Lamb, I'm cloaked. I'm not about to give our little game away so soon..."

Hmm... I think I'm glad I gave this one up. I thought that Ord was great, however, I don't see the Danger Room being a very cool villain at all... Hopefully, Whedon has more than this in the arc because this isn't what I thought it was going to be like!

Goodwill said:
Hmm... I think I'm glad I gave this one up. I thought that Ord was great, however, I don't see the Danger Room being a very cool villain at all... Hopefully, Whedon has more than this in the arc because this isn't what I thought it was going to be like!
Come on. You have doubts already on the arc? You judge too quickly.

Goodwill said:

Remember, á lot of Whedon's talent lies in the presentation. To really judge, its better to read the issue yourself than dislike Ice's rather sparse issue summary. Besides, to me it seems fairly clear that Emma's conspirator isn't the Danger Room so its unlikely that its the major villain either

Fine, you guys want a better issue summary, here:

The issue starts off with Wing's hand showing, and blood flowing from his body. Two guys seem to have found something, quickly revealed to be a broken down Sentinel coming from what seems an old wooden barn. Emma, with the Cuckoos behind her, hears something. The Danger Room's door goes all electricky, and all the psychics are knocked out. Cyclops and the rest of the X-Men take the psychics, plus the no-eyed woman from the last issue, and start heading away from where they were.

Cyclops tries to talk to Emma, but she doesn't respond. Then it looks like someone is talking TO Emma saying:

"Hear him? You can't shut him up!

Don't worry, lamb, I'm cloaked. I'm not about to give our little game so soon....

But honestly, since for once you can't actually interrupt, I have to ask...

Summers? Really?

I know you wanted to cement your standing in the group, but if that geek was sharing my bed...

...I think I'd try not to wake up."

Then the broken down Sentinel drags itself to the X-Mansion. Agent Brand, the woman who was 'working' with S.H.I.E.L.D. last arc, gets a file saying the taps they have on the X-Mansion are offline, and that they're mole is not responding.

As the X-Men chat about trying to call for some help, thinking someone is doing an attack on them. Lockheed shows up and leads them outside to something that he found. The Sentinel had arrived. It kept attacking the X-Men, destroying the gate and throwing it at the mansion, and then Scott orders Kitty to get all the kids into the danger room. Scott, Colossus, and Wolverine stay to fight the Sentinel, but are not getting very far in defeating it. Then the Sentinel shot his beam and destroyed a part of the mansion. Then Scott actually acts like Logan being SUPER mad and all, and takes off his visor, shoots at the Sentinel down.

With Kitty and the kids in the Danger Room, they found the recent dead Wing, the kid who killed himself trying to fly again, after he lost his mutant powers. Then another kid realizes that the exit to the room is GONE!

As Wolverine puts his finishing touches on destroying the Sentinel, he kept hearing it say:

"My Lord is watching you.

She knows what you're doing.

She tells me the children will pay for the father's sins.

And I must not fear death."

Then Wolverine finishes it at last.

Kitty tried to feel around for an exit out of the Danger Room with her hand, but could not find any. So she tells the kids to not do anything will she went to look for one. That's when Wing came alive, all zombie like and arms and legs twisted, saying that she should take her time, because he was going to kill all the kids.

Colossus, in his armored form, could not open the door to the Danger Room. Scott had said the point of that was when there was an attack, people would be safe in the Danger Room, since it was unbreachable. That's when he realized that what they did, was what the villain wanted them to do. He thought he locked the kids in the Danger Room with the villain. But then Emma, awake again, told him:

"No Scott.

Our enemy us not in the Danger Room.

It IS the Danger Room.

The Danger Room is angry."

Thanks Ice. Very nice summary. I wouldn't be 100% certain that Emma is the mole but it looks very likely now. But does that mean its not really Emma? The thing I can't understand is her lack of motivation but I suspect that will become clearer as the arc progressses

Goodwill said:
This is all very odd but I feel better about that issue than before!

*coughcoughcough* I really really really want to say "told you so"

But you can obviously here me thinking it whereever you are so I don't have to

That's awesome - I have to go back and check it out. Nice!

Congratulations on getting your second letter printed Ice! I just wish I was cool enough to get a letter printed. :arrgh:

Astonishing X-Men

After a lengthly debate over whether to get it or not, I finally got Astonishing X-Men V1 after Ice and Ultimate E's high recommendation. The art in this is amazing, some of the best I've seen (which was a huge factor in the decision to get it) and the story is great, especially the character development (which I love in comics). I'm glad I'm finally getting a 616 X-Men comic. I've wanted to for a while but didnt want the confusion OR have to get the other 3 or 4 X-comics. It seems that astonishing x-men was the right choice.

Only one thing wrong with it tho. The team needs Nightcrawler!

Latest posts

Back