Batman/Detective Comics Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I have a question about Detective Comics #27 (Batman's first appearance). In it, there's a story called "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate," and basically, it's about Batman following a killing spree of businessmen. He eventually discovers that the person responsible for the killing spree is a former business partner named Alfred Stryker; Stryker had wanted control over the victims' business interests. Batman tracks him down to a chemical factory and fights him, knocking Stryker into a vat of chemicals or acid or something.

The following year, Batman #1 is released, introducing the Joker. The Joker's origin is established 11 years later in Detective Comics #168, revealing that he was a criminal known as the Red Hood, who fell into a vat of chemicals while escaping from Batman. This origin has been retold many times since then.

The cover of Detective Comics #27 shows a guy in a suit with similar colors to the Joker. I don't think the suit was actually purple, but it did have the orange underneath, which the Joker has been seen wearing. Given that Detective Comics #27 (the first and only official appearance of Stryker) and Batman #1 (Joker's first appearance as the Joker) both take place around the same time (the first year or so of Batman's career), is it possible that the Detective Comics #27 story was an inspiration for the original Red Hood story, and if so, is it possible that the Joker is, in fact, Alfred Stryker?!?!

is it possible that the Joker is, in fact, Alfred Stryker?!?!

Certainly sounds reasonable...but what's in a name. It'd be pretty impressive if the Joker was in batman's first issue. It's quite rare that the arch-nemesis appears in issue 1 of a comic. The only examples i can think of is Magneto in X-men #1, and Starro for the Justice League - tho that's kinda self fulfilling.

on a seperate note

I lent my friend 'the killing joke' she really loved it, she said she'd never expect to feel sorry for the joker (well except when Heath Ledger died). She hated the whole fun show of it, but at the same time was like...'well your wife and son have been killed, so it's kinda understandable'...however she wasn't too impressed with batman's character. Is there anything you think i should recommend her that develops the character of batman, aside from Year one and the Batman begins? I'm kinda tempted to try and convince her to read morrison's run, but that might be just cuz it's the only batman 'run' i've read, the rest just seems like mini-series.

Certainly sounds reasonable...but what's in a name. It'd be pretty impressive if the Joker was in batman's first issue. It's quite rare that the arch-nemesis appears in issue 1 of a comic. The only examples i can think of is Magneto in X-men #1, and Starro for the Justice League - tho that's kinda self fulfilling.

on a seperate note

I lent my friend 'the killing joke' she really loved it, she said she'd never expect to feel sorry for the joker (well except when Heath Ledger died). She hated the whole fun show of it, but at the same time was like...'well your wife and son have been killed, so it's kinda understandable'...however she wasn't too impressed with batman's character. Is there anything you think i should recommend her that develops the character of batman, aside from Year one and the Batman begins? I'm kinda tempted to try and convince her to read morrison's run, but that might be just cuz it's the only batman 'run' i've read, the rest just seems like mini-series.

Dini's Detective Comics.

On that note, the final issue of "Heart Of Hush" was terrific. The final battle in the Batcave and Selina's revenge on Hush. I can't wait for the two-parter coming with them.

Paul Dini's Catwoman is great... I'm glad they cancelled her ongoing so they can more properly integrate her with the main titles.

on a seperate note

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Morrison reinvisioning Batman into a more Vertigo like character. In my opinion the definitive Joker.

Question, what was the issue and arc where Joker killed robin with a crowbar? I really want to read that.

NVM I found it. Seems like it'll be hard to find though

Thank you! I hadn't thought of TPB. I was looking for the issues.

Mole reviews

(decided since I have bought so many and I want to talk about it why not do some reviews even if no one will care , Thought it could be fun.)

Mole Review 1# 2nd December 2008 - Gotham Noir :

Just read that "Gotham Noir" Elseworlds book I mentioned buying in the all about comics thread. I was impressed to say the least. I knew that the focus was on Jim Gordan but like I mentioned I wanted something different.

It met all my hopes. I'm not a Crime fan but having it set in the Batman Universe was a nice security blanket for me so to speak.

Story : Jim Gordan now fired from the police and framed for murder has to try and prove his innocence but around every turn he is making new enemies and can't put the puzzle to together.

Ed Brubaker did a great job in this of taking you to 1949 Gotham. There is a few classic Batman characters just re-worked to suit this style. An example of this is "Selina the cat" a club owner. Which while those are not needed they are much appreciated.

The story very much feels like an old crime story. Even the dialogue is perfect. Jim Gordan is very well done main character with-out him been as well done as he was the story might have fallen of flat. After all Jim Gordan is the one narrating us and leading us through this mystery.

They taken some leeway with his character but it's elseworld that's expected. We seem struggling with alcoholism, Flash backs to his days in the war and we see him want to get his family back together. All of which have made me full in love with this version of him.

Batman is handled in a great way in this too. He seen as an Urban legend and really it's up to the reader to decide if he exists or if he does not. This is great touch as either a) you say he's real and have added this great element of fantasy to it or b) you think he is not and it becomes a really great realistic crime book.

Now I won't give too much away story wise for those who have not read it.

Art :
Sean Phillips I believe does the art for this. As people on here know I'm a fan of other artists more so than this guy. However as much as I like other artists e.g Alex ross is my favourite. I don't think any other art style would have worked as much as his did in this book.

His visuals add to the story as much as the story itself. E.g. the story makes batman how I described. His art matches it perfectly. Batman is seen as a shadow never seeing his face besides two whit lines for eyes. That is perfect.

Also the art has this grainy look to it that makes it feel like a real old crime story. That works perfectly as well, given the story it's self.

Closing comments : If you have not read it yet you should. It was completely worth the money. I think it's out of print now but if it is look on ebay , amazon and comic shops till you find it. You won't be disappointed

Batman can use his memories as weapons.

Grant Morrison's Batman is insane and I love it.

Batman can use his memories as weapons.

Grant Morrison's Batman is insane and I love it.

Insane is exactly the word I thought of. I just read the last issue of R.I.P. and the 2 issues of Last Rites and I have no idea what just happened. Specifically, what it all means.

Sheesh. That's not even being specific.

I think it blew my mind.

Insane is exactly the word I thought of. I just read the last issue of R.I.P. and the 2 issues of Last Rites and I have no idea what just happened. Specifically, what it all means.

Sheesh. That's not even being specific.

I think it blew my mind.

It pretty much sums why Batman is Batman.

And why he can never be replaced.

There could always be another Batman but not the same.

"How does one man handle that much stress."

I'm going to miss Dini/Nguyen's work on Detective Comics. It hasn't been advertised as much as Morrison's Batman run which is a shame because it's been consistently entertaining. They also made Hush into a credible threat and did some wonderful stuff with smaller villains. Hopefully when the Batman books return to normal these two will have a title to work on.

I'm going to miss Dini/Nguyen's work on Detective Comics. It hasn't been advertised as much as Morrison's Batman run which is a shame because it's been consistently entertaining. They also made Hush into a credible threat and did some wonderful stuff with smaller villains. Hopefully when the Batman books return to normal these two will have a title to work on.

I think it's been pretty much confirmed Dini will be back in the near future, on at least one Batman book. And that's great. His work with Hush has been just great. Although, I'm guessing it won't be Detective he's working on, since Rucka is taking over.

Anyway, here's the post-Cowl Batman lineup.

- Batman
- Batman and Robin
- Red Robin
- Outsiders
- Batgirl
- Batman: The Streets of Gotham
- Gotham City Sirens
- Detective Comics

I'm gonna go ahead and place my bets on what's what. Batman will be Dick Grayson. Batman and Robin will be Jason Todd and Damian or Hush and Damian. Red Robin will be Tim Drake. Outsiders will be the same as it has been, perhaps organized by Alfred. Batgirl will be Barbara Gordon. Gotham Sirens will be the Harley/Catwoman book, and include other female characters as a sort-of sequel to Birds of Prey. Streets of Gotham is maybe, Idunno, a street level book, like Gotham Underground and Gotham Central combined? And Detective has been announced as starring Batwoman, and I bet it's going to have the same MO as the new Action Comics.

Latest posts

Back