Betty Loves Fury?

Do you think that Nick Fury and Betty Ross are romantically involved now?

• Total voters
compound said:
I'm surprised, actually. Care to qualify why you say so, if you don't mind?

(If you did so elsewhere, please direct me to the appropriate post. Thanks.)
Since I don't read much in the Ultimate U outside the Ultimates line, I have to base what I think on what I've seen - which now includes up to Ultimates V2 #10. Fury and Betty have worked together closely, have a fair amount in common, are shown to like and even respect each other. Work seems to be life for both of them, and a romance is quite possible under those circumstances. Betty is extremely concerned for Nick in #10 (which is not unreasonable, considering he's just lost an arm and is probably bleeding to death before her eyes - not exactly a romantic moment, per se, but you have to take what you get and work with it in action-based comics).

Do I think there was an active romance back when MWoF posted this poll? No. On the other hand, I based my vote on the potential for a romance AND the potential to annoy MWof, two equally worthy cosiderations.

Rhyo said:
Do I think there was an active romance back when MWoF posted this poll? No. On the other hand, I based my vote on the potential for a romance AND the potential to annoy MWof, two equally worthy cosiderations.
Can't disagree with you on that count. :wink:

I guess there's a degree of personal prejudice at work, in my view of the matter. I'm generally dubious about relationships involving age gaps of (presumably) over a decade -- I cringe during films like Shopgirl and Lost In Translation, even though both are beatifully shot.

Biases aside, I would imagine that any mutual affection that Fury and Betty share would be more like the kind experienced by close relatives (well... outside of Nebraska, anyway :twisted: ).

That, and I suspect that there would be a necessary awkwardness involved, considering that Fury (again, preumably) would have witnessed Betty come-of-age, as he worked alongside her father, in the establishment of SHIELD.

(Of course, this too is entirely contingent on how long one believes that SHIELD has been operating in the UU, or how long Gen. Ross and Fury have been colleagues.)

But, hey, if it annoys MwoF, I'm all for it, then. :p

Last edited:
Since my husband is 12 years older than I am (and we've been married 25 years), I find your argument pretty damned dubious....

Last edited:
In a lot of ways the importance of the age gap depends on cultural values - if one is heavily invested in current popular culture and the other isn't, it's a problem. There are certain key social turning points that it's hard to be on opposite sides of - although it's not like society just suddenly turns a corner and people think differently, sometimes people are ahead (or behind) on popular social thought.

We're on opposite sides of the cell-phone-using gap, in theory: I carry one - he refuses. On the other hand, I don't rely heavily on mine - it's usually turned off unless I need to use it, though College Boy and I send text messages and photos on a regular basis.

But then I have several 20-something friends who hate cell phones almost as much as he does.

I feel like I'm really starting to get on people's nerves lately.

Then again when it comes to this topic I will not give any lee-way to my opponents. There is not a chance in hell that there's anything going on with Fury and Betty and if Millar writes it in otherwise, that would be just bad writing. The moment was a powerfully emotional one that symbolized the general population of the incident. Not "Oh Nicholas! Hold me one last time!"

....Idiots.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Fury's charms would transcend age. He could totally get any woman he wanted with in reason. I work with a guy who is in his early to mind 40's and is dating a 23 year-old and has been for two years. I told my sister he's my hero and she looked at me like I was a rapist. I was joking but still.

Rhyo said:
There are certain key social turning points that it's hard to be on opposite sides of - although it's not like society just suddenly turns a corner and people think differently, sometimes people are ahead (or behind) on popular social thought.
... in which case, it's a fairly safe guess that Fury and Betty are both equally far ahead of the curve, when it comes to prevailing lifestyle choices, modern or otherwise.

MwoF said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. As far as *I'm* concerned, it's usually more like an "annoying kid brother" kind of thing. For better or worse, it wouldn't be the same, if you didn't behave the way you do.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:

That may have something to do with calling people idiots on a regular basis....

TheManWithoutFear said:
Then again when it comes to this topic I will not give any lee-way to my opponents. There is not a chance in hell that there's anything going on with Fury and Betty and if Millar writes it in otherwise, that would be just bad writing. The moment was a powerfully emotional one that symbolized the general population of the incident. Not "Oh Nicholas! Hold me one last time!"

Ahh, see, you have too narrow a definition of romance then. Which, given some of the opinions I've seen you set forth (half in jest) about the proper roles of men and women doesn't particularly surprise me.

If you mean the traditional "regular Saturday night date" then no, there's nothing there. At least not yet. But I think there is definitely attraction there, it's just that you can't see it....

Last edited:
Rhyo said:
That may have something to do with calling people idiots on a regular basis....

Yeah, you know the rules. You can't do that; even if you're joking it doesn't read that way to some people.

Rhyo said:
Ahh, see, you have too narrow a definition of romance then. Which, given some of the opinions I've seen you set forth (half in jest) about the proper roles of men and women doesn't particularly surprise me.

If you mean the traditional "regular Saturday night date" then no, there's nothing there. At least not yet. But I think there is definitely attraction there, it's just that you can't see it....

Woah... easy there. Don't assume you know what my views, thoughts, and feelings on Love and relationships are just because I use the word "idiot" a lot. I won't blame you because outside of the board you know nothing about me and the common preception I've given is the drunk slacker who types on the computer all day arguing with the kids. But if we're gonna delve head first into the realities of Love and Friendship, you're gonna get a whole side of me that you haven't seen before.

I'm curious as to where I've displayed any words or thoughts on how I view the "roles of men and women" though.

P.S. I love my mother.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Woah... easy there. Don't assume you know what my views, thoughts, and feelings on Love and relationships are just because I use the word "idiot" a lot. I won't blame you because outside of the board you know nothing about me and the common preception I've given is the drunk slacker who types on the computer all day arguing with the kids. But if we're gonna delve head first into the realities of Love and Friendship, you're gonna get a whole side of me that you haven't seen before.

I'm curious as to where I've displayed any words or thoughts on how I view the "roles of men and women" though.

Well, there is this thread, for one...

Didn't really have anything to do with the word "idiot", had more to do with some of the previous discussions on the board. I could go back and hunt them up, but just searching for posts using the key word "MWoF" is a pretty daunting task. My general impressions of what your opinions are on the topic have been developed through some of the Ultimates threads, back in the days when, sigh, the issue came out on a fairly regular basis and it was possible to have long, hot-tempered discussions on what was happening....

Rhyo said:
Well, there is this thread, for one...

Didn't really have anything to do with the word "idiot", had more to do with some of the previous discussions on the board. I could go back and hunt them up, but just searching for posts using the key word "MWoF" is a pretty daunting task. My general impressions of what your opinions are on the topic have been developed through some of the Ultimates threads, back in the days when, sigh, the issue came out on a fairly regular basis and it was possible to have long, hot-tempered discussions on what was happening....

Well maybe I'll kick myself for saying it but seriously, I'm not the guy you think I am. And I'm sorry I gave out that impression but the comic book message board world is not my reality.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well maybe I'll kick myself for saying it but seriously, I'm not the guy you think I am. And I'm sorry I gave out that impression but the comic book message board world is not my reality.

I swear not to tell anyone you said that.

Really.

I thought the argument was much simpler than that. Sure there are arguments why they might have reasons to hook up, but nothing that can be seen as evidence. They grabbed hands in a moment of terror; I don't see how that indicates anything anymore than what's there. And I think that was the gist of it.

E said:
I thought the argument was much simpler than that. Sure there are arguments why they might have reasons to hook up, but nothing that can be seen as evidence. They grabbed hands in a moment of terror; I don't see how that indicates anything anymore than what's there. And I think that was the gist of it.

I'd also argue (because I can, not necessarily because I really mean it) that MM has just thrown out stuff before, based on a sentence or a glance. Yes, he can do subtle and long-term, like the appearances of Loki, but he can also do little "tossed off" stuff. Black Widow's past husbands, for instance, were referenced once in a casual statement (was it at the bachelor part in the annual? I forget). Hawkeye's status as someone who "commutes" from a normal home life to a superhero life was referenced by him being late to a meeting once (and I only knew that it was supposed to mean that because MM said so online - I thought it was a clue that he might be The Traitor at the time). There was what, a six month gap between the end of the Gods and Monsters arc and the start of GTA? Who knows what could have happened off-camera.

On the other hand, had anything happened that we were meant to know about, it probably would have been far more obvious than the subtle, very human gesture of comfort. Reading between the lines is always quite a bit of fun - and the lines have been drawn rather broadly - but that's all it is.

SeAcoW said:
Anyway back to serious stuff I agree that panel meant something, rather it put up the effect for the page, or means something romantically. Trying to view both sides. I still don't care for theory's without paper so let's see what happens.

And for the sake of fun, im taking up the bet you put up. You can laugh at me.

I'm still holding you to this, Seacow. Course, we won't know for sure till Ultimates 2 #13 wraps up, meaning the end of this year.

Rhyo said:
I'd also argue (because I can, not necessarily because I really mean it) that MM has just thrown out stuff before, based on a sentence or a glance. Yes, he can do subtle and long-term, like the appearances of Loki, but he can also do little "tossed off" stuff. Black Widow's past husbands, for instance, were referenced once in a casual statement (was it at the bachelor part in the annual? I forget). Hawkeye's status as someone who "commutes" from a normal home life to a superhero life was referenced by him being late to a meeting once (and I only knew that it was supposed to mean that because MM said so online - I thought it was a clue that he might be The Traitor at the time). There was what, a six month gap between the end of the Gods and Monsters arc and the start of GTA? Who knows what could have happened off-camera.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm sure it was only a month or two, not six months.

On the other hand, had anything happened that we were meant to know about, it probably would have been far more obvious than the subtle, very human gesture of comfort. Reading between the lines is always quite a bit of fun - and the lines have been drawn rather broadly - but that's all it is.

But then again reading too into the lines can be a bad thing. Thats what I've been saying. I totally disagree with your assessment that Betty and Fury have a lot in common. Besides both working for SHIELD, I can't see much more commonplace.

Lets also look at it this way: Given Fury is probably going to be too busy with the whole missing an arm thing and fighting off an invasion of our country, I'm thinking there just won't be time, nor would it be appropriate, to delve into a romance between him and Betty in the remainder of Ultimates 2. I also very much doubt it'll be something Loeb tackles in Ultimates 3.

Face it, people: its not happening.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back