Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

Kinda slow.

We see Crossbones and Sin raising hell in Mid America.

Captain America is asked by Sharon Carter to help track them and also help find out what's going on in some small mid western town (aka find The Winter Soldier). They get a motel room where Cap sees a picture of the former owners from the 1950's.

The town is keeping things from them until one drunk tells them what he saw and what everyone is keeping quiet about.

A giant mechanical Spider was taken down by The Winter Soldier. When the spider blew up, it took out a whole building.

Captain America gets so happy he kisses Carter and a really out of nowhere but well pulled off love scene takes place between Carter and Cap. While Cap is sleeping he dreams of Carter, Bucky, Red Skull, Betty... wakes up realizes that there was something wrong with the 1950's picture and finds the laser light pointed at his chest.

Carter and Cap now wrestle with what looks like A.I.M. soldiers, who realize they made a mistake and ask Cap for help....

3.5/5

Could've used more Crossbones and Sin.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Kinda slow.

We see Crossbones and Sin raising hell in Mid America.

Captain America is asked by Sharon Carter to help track them and also help find out what's going on in some small mid western town (aka find The Winter Soldier). They get a motel room where Cap sees a picture of the former owners from the 1950's.

The town is keeping things from them until one drunk tells them what he saw and what everyone is keeping quiet about.

A giant mechanical Spider was taken down by The Winter Soldier. When the spider blew up, it took out a whole building.

Captain America gets so happy he kisses Carter and a really out of nowhere but well pulled off love scene takes place between Carter and Cap. While Cap is sleeping he dreams of Carter, Bucky, Red Skull, Betty... wakes up realizes that there was something wrong with the 1950's picture and finds the laser light pointed at his chest.

Carter and Cap now wrestle with what looks like A.I.M. soldiers, who realize they made a mistake and ask Cap for help....

3.5/5

Could've used more Crossbones and Sin.

Exactly what I would've said. A solid 3 outta 5.

What do you think Cap saw in the old picture?

Sadly, this was the first time I've felt disappointed reading this series. I hope it picks back up again, I want more Winter Soldier goodness. :(

The 65th Anniversary Issue

Your routine hero/war story. Bucky gets shot and nursed back to health and falls in love with a german resistance fighter, Blackbird. Captain has to figure out what Red Skull is working on. There are only two more resistance fighters left a father/daughter pair. One acts as medic and the daughter is an impressive fighter. Basically Red Skull is working on a giant robot that Cap easily defeats. It's pretty campy but entertaining.

Epilogue was interesting though...

Cap gets done telling Sharon Carter about this little encounter that is the issue's main plot. They figure that The Winter Soldier is gonna seek out Blackbird.

Lukin (?) who talks to Red Skull in his head (?) Sorry I'm new to the Captain America story. But this guy is escavating some old WWII ruins. He asks Red Skull why they're doing this and Red Skull tells him to look at the sketches on the map. One of the sketches is of..... :shock: Dr. Doom.

4/5

The Red Skull was killed in the first issue. He's somehow in Lukin's head, probably because they both handled the cosmic cube.

And E - did you like it?

ProjectX2 said:
And E - did you like it?

Not really. I liked the type of story, I guess it was the execution. Just wasn't interesting to me. In fact I already forgot what happened. :?

E said:
Not really. I liked the type of story, I guess it was the execution. Just wasn't interesting to me. In fact I already forgot what happened. :?

That was the first trade right? All the good Winter Soldier stuff happens in the second trade. :D

ProjectX2 said:
That was the first trade right? All the good Winter Soldier stuff happens in the second trade. :D

Right, first trade.

I dunno...I was just so disinterested in the story when I was done with it that I don't think I could sit through part 2 to make it worth it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Anyone know what the deal is with the Doom Sketching? Does it imply the character or just Latveria or something associated with him?

Have Red Skull and Dr. Doom ever worked together?

A local comic shop decided to start selling the new releases for tomorrow this afternoon so I grabbed a bunch of my picks for tomorrow. I know this is a spoiler thread...but for those who don't wanna know what happens until tomorrow----skip past the italic. But for those who do.......it's out in the open.

#17 was ok. Nothing special.

The 2 best things was to see Sin fighting. And after a gunfight with some bad guys, Sharon Carter and Cap have the following conversation:

Sharon: You know after all these years, you've never told me how you do that.
Capt: What?
Sharon: Dodge bullets.
Capt: Oh, that's nothing....I just see faster.
Sharon: You see faster? And that's nothing? I have mentioned how infuriating you are, right?
Capt: Several times recently.
Sharon: Just checking...

Don't ask me why....I just thought it was funny. I seefaster? How great.

On a plus---we did find out what Capt saw in that picture back at the inn. Turns out that the pic had a picture of a woman Cap recognized. Bucky was here to see that woman. That woman turned out to be the rebel fighter in the 65th Anniversary issue. The woman Bucky loved.

It was a cheap tie-in....but at least it tied-in. The woman died and Bucky came to pay his last respects, before it was too late. Capt thinks Bucky is gonna attack the people who turned him into the WInter Soldier.

3/5.....

Last edited:

Victor Von Doom said:
A local comic shop decided to start selling the new releases for tomorrow this afternoon so I grabbed a bunch of my picks for tomorrow. I know this is a spoiler thread...but for those who don't wanna know what happens until tomorrow----skip past the italic. But for those who do.......it's out in the open.

#17 was ok. Nothing special.

The 2 best things was to see Sin fighting. And after a gunfight with some bad guys, Sharon Carter and Cap have the following conversation:

Sharon: You know after all these years, you've never told me how you do that.
Capt: What?
Sharon: Dodge bullets.
Capt: Oh, that's nothing....I just see faster.
Sharon: You see faster? And that's nothing? I have mentioned how infuriating you are, right?
Capt: Several times recently.
Sharon: Just checking...

Don't ask me why....I just thought it was funny. I seefaster? How great.

On a plus---we did find out what Capt saw in that picture back at the inn. Turns out that the pic had a picture of a woman Cap recognized. Bucky was here to see that woman. That woman turned out to be the rebel fighter in the 65th Anniversary issue. The woman Bucky loved.

It was a cheap tie-in....but at least it tied-in. The woman died and Bucky came to pay his last respects, before it was too late. Capt thinks Bucky is gonna attack the people who turned him into the WInter Soldier.

3/5.....

You the man VVD! :twisted:

What you fail to mention is how not cheap the tie in was. Unless Bru completely blows off how coincidental it is for Blackbird's grave to be in the same town as an A.I.M. cell. What was she doing there to begin with? And remember who Cap's speculating on who lead Bucky there; Nick Fury. I loved it.

3.5/5

TheManWithoutFear said:
You the man VVD! :twisted:

What you fail to mention is how not cheap the tie in was. Unless Bru completely blows off how coincidental it is for Blackbird's grave to be in the same town as an A.I.M. cell. What was she doing there to begin with? And remember who Cap's speculating on who lead Bucky there; Nick Fury. I loved it.

3.5/5

Yeah...I did forget to mention the Fury tie-in. Thanks.

Did #18 come out? What happened?

Just tried to tell you but the computer won't let me. It was a good start. A new group called "The Master Race" are the thugs working for Lukin. Can't wait to read more... and get my computer fixed...

3.5/5

Recently bought the Winter Soldier Arc. And it was absolutely amazing. There aren't any other ways to really bring back a dead character with some originality and truth be told Brubaker didn't do anything unexpected but there was a lot of believable emotion to this story.

Should've been reading his Cap America from the beginning.

4.5/5

Latest posts

Back