Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

TheManWithoutFear said:
Recently bought the Winter Soldier Arc. And it was absolutely amazing. There aren't any other ways to really bring back a dead character with some originality and truth be told Brubaker didn't do anything unexpected but there was a lot of believable emotion to this story.

Should've been reading his Cap America from the beginning.

4.5/5

:rockon:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Recently bought the Winter Soldier Arc. And it was absolutely amazing. There aren't any other ways to really bring back a dead character with some originality and truth be told Brubaker didn't do anything unexpected but there was a lot of believable emotion to this story.

4.5/5

Told ya so :D

Last edited:

TheManWithoutFear said:

4.5/5

Welcome to the Club. Proj told me to stick it out too. So glad I did.

Right now you're feeling the same way I did when I first read Brubaker's DD. Made me sad I didn't bother checking it out when Bendis was at the helm.

E gave up on Captain America.

Let's all point at him and laugh.

ProjectX2 said:
E gave up on Captain America.

Let's all point at him and laugh.

pointlaugh1ps.gif

I read the Winter Soldier part two trade today. It was much better than the first. I like the Winter Soldier and when he foudn out what he has done. Plus the ending with Red Skull was sweet.

B+

Last edited:

thee great one said:
I read the Winter Soldier part two trade today. It was much better than the first. I like the Winter Soldier and when he foudn out what he has done. Plus the ending with Red Skull was sweet.

B+

Man i want this so bad, amazon doesn't release it til end of month, then i have to wait til it ships :(

It's so hard to describe or review Brubaker's Capt America. Its so good that you really don't know where to begin.

All you need to know is that this book is awesome. Issue #19 wasn't anything too special....but Brubaker continues to weave several different arcs together to make one continual story that rivals any good novel out there on the NY bestseller list.

Although I won't lie.....I kinda want a new artist to take over...just for something different. Doesn't have to be permanent.....just maybe for an arc. Sometimes I forget what that I'm reading Capt America and keep turning the pages hoping to find out who the fake Dardevil is and who really killed Foggy.

Last edited:

i got Winter soldier volume 2, i love this writer..... i'm going to get Daredevil as soon as possible, and i'm going to get Books of Doom as well (when it comes out in trade)

Just Great anyone not reading Captain America, should pick up the winter soldier trades!!!!!
Cause i thought Cap was lame til i read these books

Where've you been VVD? This issue was done by Epting, who is normally the artist on Captain America, but hasn't been for the last arc or so.

I need to finish reading this, but I really like the art and this gets me pumped for the upcoming Union Jack mini...

ProjectX2 said:
Where've you been VVD? This issue was done by Epting, who is normally the artist on Captain America, but hasn't been for the last arc or so.

I haven't noticed any changes in art since the beginning. But then again I haven't been to crazy about the art period. I've been more engrossed with Brubaker's story. So I tend to not focus on the art on this title.

Oh well....

While I was waiting for UPS to bring the comics yesterday, I was reading Captain America #21. It was an alright issue. Art was really, good, though.

So anyway the sort've summary from what I can remember...

...Meanwhile Red Skull (is this Lukin with a Skull mask on?) gives the villain spiel about taking care of everything.

Cap and Jack are on the boat fighting the "Master Race". But then they find there's a bomb about to blow. Spitfire zooms in and saves the innocents and Cap and Union Jack just in time.

News reports show Cap and Union being involved in the explosion, the Winter Soldier watches...

Britain's government's not too happy with the superheroes but Sharon Carter steps in and saves them from political mumbo jumbo.

The heroes Cap, Union, Sharon, Spitfire go in search of The Master Race... Cap/Spitfire hussle the underworld looking for them and Sharon/Union search the tunnels while they're unaware Bucky stalks them.

When they get a lead to the Master Race they find them already dead. But who did it? *Bucky*

Meanwhile Red Skull says that he's got more in store.

4/5

Lots of stuff going on in the latest issue, kind of hard to explain.

Basically, there's a whole lot of people with different motives.

Lukin/Red Skull... has a blimp full of explosives.

Bucky/Winter Soldier... is planning to shoot Lukin.

Cap and his group are planning to sabotage the blimp.

And Crossbones and Sin are going to fly a plane full of explosives into the Kronas building.

Basically, the blimp catches fire during a fight, and Carter and BUcky both scream for Cap. Lukin pushes a button just before Crossbones parachutes out of the plane, The button awakens one of those sleeper robot things from the special, and it uses laser vision to destroy the plane. It ends with the Red Skull muttering that they will all know he lives.

I probably missed something out, but that's basically what happened. I'm interested to see what happens with the Cap/Carter relationship with Civil War going on...

TheManWithoutFear said:
...Meanwhile Red Skull (is this Lukin with a Skull mask on?)
I thought that was just showing you that the red skull is inside Lukin

ProjectX2 said:
Lots of stuff going on in the latest issue, kind of hard to explain.

Basically, there's a whole lot of people with different motives.

Lukin/Red Skull... has a blimp full of explosives.

Bucky/Winter Soldier... is planning to shoot Lukin.

Cap and his group are planning to sabotage the blimp.

And Crossbones and Sin are going to fly a plane full of explosives into the Kronas building.

Basically, the blimp catches fire during a fight, and Carter and BUcky both scream for Cap. Lukin pushes a button just before Crossbones parachutes out of the plane, The button awakens one of those sleeper robot things from the special, and it uses laser vision to destroy the plane. It ends with the Red Skull muttering that they will all know he lives.

I probably missed something out, but that's basically what happened. I'm interested to see what happens with the Cap/Carter relationship with Civil War going on...
I missed the issue today :(

I got the new trade and completely forgot there was a new issue. Stupid me.

It was good. You should go back and read it.

They fight the sleeper robot.

It's first objective destroys the Kronos building (important)

Sharon Carter flies her car into the Masterman and crashes into a building where she's confronted by Sin and Crossbones.

Bucky hops onto the sleeper agent and almost gets killed until Cap jumps in and saves him.

Spitfire and Union Jack fight the Masterman and it's a one side contest but he won't go down.

Cap figures out a plan after the sleeper starts to follow him. He tells Union Jack and Spitfire to get Masterman angry. As the robot is walking by Masterman jumps to attack but accidently goes right through the giant almost invincible machine. With an opening Cap tells Bucky to throw the concussive blast in as he distracts it. Bucky is successful but the robot blasts off half of his mechanical arm. The machine is destroyed. The Masterman apprehended. Cap turns to Bucky. He's excited they worked so well together but The Winter Soldier disappeared again.

Sin/Crossbones almost kill Carter but are interuppted and are told it's not part of the plan.

The next day on the news Red Skull reveals himself to the public announcing more attacks.

Lukin is interviewed and blames the mess on masked vigilantes like Cap, Spitfire, Union Jack. He is in the clear and free of suspicion because his building seemed to be attacked.

The Winter Soldier is about to board a train. He's on the phone and says he's ready to come in now. It's revealed he's on his way to France (Brubaker's Daredevil also in France... hmmm?) and is talking to Nick Fury.

Lukin talks to Red Skull in his head and introduces him to his daughter and Crossbones. They'll be working very closely together.

4/5

4/5 is right. Everything wrapped up nicely and left things wide open for ater Civil War.

I can't wait to see how Brubaker handles Civil War.

Latest posts

Back