Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

Young Avengers/Runaways? What about Thunderbolts?

Young Avengers and Runaways: Villain is working with SHIELD

I don't know about the Thunderbolts, don't read it.

For me, this is the first issue a villain is taking oportunity in the whole Hero vs Hero thing.

Young Avengers and Runaways: Villain is working with SHIELD

I don't know about the Thunderbolts, don't read it.

For me, this is the first issue a villain is taking oportunity in the whole Hero vs Hero thing.

Young Avengers/Runaways is a classic example of a villain taking advantage of the situation. He has direct orders from SHIELD but is working against those orders and for his own agendas useing the fact that SHIELD is probably very distracted to his advantage.

Great, great read. This is the true behind the scenes of Civil War. Nick Fury/Winter Soldier. Bucky infiltrates a SHIELD safehouse that Agent Carter told Nick they'd be keeping a new LMD of Fury. Bucky downloads some tech that will allow Fury to see everything the LMD sees. Bucky sees a video footage of Lukin visiting Victor Von Doom. The Winter Soldier has to escape without being seen so Fury sends a decoy via a hologram image of D-Man that the Capekillers go to take out. Winter Soldier sneaks up on them and pulls one of the best Batman imitations ever taking them all out.

In Latveria Red Skull and Doom discuss a plan that will make Doom achieve a destiny greater and will help Red Skull take down his enemy (Captain America). I'm sketchy on the details but there's some weapon Doom can only use once that he has his hands on.

5/5

I'm tired...

This was Brubaker's week.

First we have Maria Hill calling in Carter and telling her she's joining the team that's hunting down Fury. The bot Fury had Winter Soldier bug meets up with Carter and Nick and Sharon talk about helping Cap out.

Cap investigates an A.I.M. cell and finds that HYDRA is already there. He discovers who may be running HYDRA now but is then discovered. He fights off the HYDRA hordes until one of them blows himself, along with the building up.

As soon as Cap gets himself together, Capekillers are on his ***. Nick sends a shock through them via communicaters and Sharon rescues him. They talk about how Nick took down the capekillers. Sharon said Tony will have it fixed within hours so it won't happen again. They also talk about how Hydra was there and how the capekillers got there so quickly and Cap deduces that Tony has enlisted HYDRA just like he did the Thunderbolts.

Red Skull is talking with someone also about HYDRA ruining their cell. The man he's talking to is revealed... Arnim Zola, leader of A.I.M. His body is a robot that looks like one of the humanoid spider-slayer types and his stomach is a television screen much like Craig from TMNT.

5/5

Bru's use of HYDRA in this and Iron Fist worked out really well with the artists he was working with. And the fact HYDRA may be working with Tony? Wow..

n much like Craig from TMNT.

im sure you mean krang?
Krang.gif

I'm tired...

This was Brubaker's week.

First we have Maria Hill calling in Carter and telling her she's joining the team that's hunting down Fury. The bot Fury had Winter Soldier bug meets up with Carter and Nick and Sharon talk about helping Cap out.

Cap investigates an A.I.M. cell and finds that HYDRA is already there. He discovers who may be running HYDRA now but is then discovered. He fights off the HYDRA hordes until one of them blows himself, along with the building up.

As soon as Cap gets himself together, Capekillers are on his ***. Nick sends a shock through them via communicaters and Sharon rescues him. They talk about how Nick took down the capekillers. Sharon said Tony will have it fixed within hours so it won't happen again. They also talk about how Hydra was there and how the capekillers got there so quickly and Cap deduces that Tony has enlisted HYDRA just like he did the Thunderbolts.

Red Skull is talking with someone also about HYDRA ruining their cell. The man he's talking to is revealed... Arnim Zola, leader of A.I.M. His body is a robot that looks like one of the humanoid spider-slayer types and his stomach is a television screen much like Craig from TMNT.

5/5

Bru's use of HYDRA in this and Iron Fist worked out really well with the artists he was working with. And the fact HYDRA may be working with Tony? Wow..
Yeah, great issue. I loved seeing HYDRA show up. The only thing I think that's going to be a let down about this tie-in is that it's going to be too self contained.

For some reason that reminds me of Craig.

(for those that don't know Craig is ProjectX2)

Yes, I am a living vagina.

This was a good issue. I love how Brubaker is setting up his own little mini-verse within the Marvel Universe, like I said in the Daredevil thread. Iron Fist is connected to Hydra, who is connected to Captain America, who is connected to the Winter Soldier, who connects to Nick Fury, and who connects to Daredevil.

Awesome.

Ok....so here's the thing---I thought these past 3 CW tie-in issues were weak.....at least for Brubaker standards. But weak Bru is still better than 80% of the other crap out there. So.....

Anyways----I agree with Proj in the fact that Bru has been awesome at connecting 616 with each other. At lot of titles have those little crossovers or guest appearances---but since a lot of stuff in 616 happens in NY---they still feel distant. So I like how Bru is bringing them together.

This whole "Bru connecting everything" is

A. Speculation - As much as I want to see it happen and anticipated it as soon as Bucky was told to head to Paris, there's really been nothing solidly done so far. HYDRA showed up in both books. So what? Winter Soldier was back in NY and nothing was shown of Paris. If anything, I'm seeing missed oppurtunities to cross things over with him. But here's hopeing he's got something cooked up.

B. Hypocritical - Bendis has been working over the entire 616 Universe for years now and I've been giving him props for it since but now Brubaker does it and he's the good writer and Bendis is ****?

Sorry. I don't want to make it seem like Bru's doing a poor job on any aspect of his books but nothing has happened yet

No, that was one of the main things I liked about Bendis' Daredevil run. Everything was connected.

And yes, it is speculation. But it might be for not much longer when we have things like that Captain America/Daredevil thing coming out...

B. Hypocritical - Bendis has been working over the entire 616 Universe for years now and I've been giving him props for it since but now Brubaker does it and he's the good writer and Bendis is ****?
I don't think people dis Bendis' work because of how inter-connected it is; they hate it because he does things like kill off Alpha Flight in a single panel, and replace Nick Fury with an unintersting character with no prior backstory. In short, there are certain moments when he has shown blatant disregard for the history of 616, in his efforts to make things more integrated.

I'll be the first to admit that he initially did a good job of integrating Daredevil's story firmly within Marvel continutity, with the appearances of all the significant non-mutant NYC heroes, throughout the course of his run.

Likewise, when Secret War began, I was still very impressed with his attempts to tie everything together.

It was really "Disassembled" onwards when things started to go awry.

The beauty of Bendis' early approach to integration -- and now Brubaker's -- is that it feels like each *individual* books feels firmly rooted in a shared universe, if you know what's going on in the other titles, but they still read perfectly well, on their own. I prefer it that way. So that readers can appreciate it, at several levels.

Initially, Pulse felt that way, but eventually it became so dependent on familiarity with other books' plots, it lost its value as a title on its own. That's a crucial ****-up, by anybody's standards.

Brubaker's work hasn't reached that point yet, and hopefully never will.

Last edited:

And yes, it is speculation. But it might be for not much longer when we have things like that Captain America/Daredevil thing coming out...
I totally forgot about that. I think that's been in the works longer than Bru's been on. Do you think they'll have something to do with one another?

I totally forgot about that. I think that's been in the works longer than Bru's been on. Do you think they'll have something to do with one another?

Probably not, but it would be cool to see happen.

MAJOR SPOILERS

Do not, I repeat DO NOT look unless you really want to know what happens in issue 25. Really.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

In a similar vein to the Death of Superman, I predict that there will be several new Captain Americas in the near future... One of these i think will definitely be The Punisher (whom I see hunting down and probably killing the sniper who took out Cap)... One will be put forward by SHIELD as a Pro Registration character...

But I predict that this is where Bucky Barnes becomes the main character of Brubaker's Captain America... Hopefully we'll see him don the classic outfit soon and he'll continue to work underground with Nick Fury.

If they're really killing off Steve, the absolute ONLY way I'm going to be cool with it is if Bucky becomes the new Captain America...

But if you really think about it... It's almost like Brubaker's entire run has been building up to this moment.

for **** sake! the yahoo financial page on marvel already ruined this for me

Poor Jonny.

Yahoo! covers this as well:

The end of Captain America

After 66 years of fighting bad guys, the comic book superhero dies in the latest issue.
Spoilers, of course, in the link.

Last edited:

Man. I don't even know what to say. That is crap and i'm gonna snipe out quesada.

Latest posts

Back