Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
MaxwellSmart said:
Since when did it become okay to call black variations of characters Black (insert character name)? I'm pretty sure I'd be offended, if I were a minority.

It is kind of ridiculous.

Black Goliath, Black Panther, Black Lightning... I'm sure there's plenty more.

MaxwellSmart said:
Since when did it become okay to call black variations of characters Black (insert character name)? I'm pretty sure I'd be offended, if I were a minority.

It is kinda ridiculous. I mean by that logic--any Asian superhero could/should be called Yellow (insert character name) or caucasians would be called White But Actually Pinkish If You Will (insert character name). :lol:

I'm not offended....but it's just stupid.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:

it's pretty silly to say the least...but Black Panther and Black Lightning are bada$$ names Black Goliath, eh pretty redundent. it could just be to make it sound more cool and deadly i.e. Black Tom, Black Sabath...ut oh here comes ice:scared:

Last edited:
freedome said:
it's pretty silly to say the least...but Black Panther and Black Lightning are bada$$ names Black Goliath, eh pretty redundent. it could just be to make it sound more cool and deadly i.e. Black Tom, Black Sabath...ut oh here comes ice:scared:

Yeah, but these characters were made during a time where black superheroes were scarce. To me it would make sense to emphasize the name on their race. People think wow this guys badass...and black. I know what you think.. that it souldn't matter, but it did back then.

This is sort of on topic. Can you imagine all the odd-ball, loser heroes who are going to be showing up? I can't stop thinking about some Roy Horn wanna be calling himself White Panther. I'm not sure why I think this would be so funny, but I know I'll never be able to stop laughing if it happens.

To quote Moon Knght in the Infinity Gauntlet, "When will it all end? And what will be left when it does end?"

I just hope and pray that something good comes out of all of this. After the turmoil that Earth's heroes have suffered in recent years, anything at this point would be a relief.

I'm wondering if Joe Quesada's "third genie" is going to be thinning down the herd of Marvel superheroes, much like House of M did for the mutants - that the results of Civil War will be for a large number of (C- and D-and-below list) characters to hang it up and walk away.

Last edited:
Rhyo said:
I'm wondering if Joe Quesada's "third genie" is going to be thinning down the herd of Marvel superheroes, much like House of M did for the mutants - that the results of Civil War will be for a large number of (C- and D-and-below list) characters to hang it up and walk away.

I doubt it, considering that a handful of C levelers just got given their own title with Heroes for Hire.

I think were going to see a cut in the number of c-list heroes and villian just because they won't want any part of a war especially after Civil War gets going.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I doubt it, considering that a handful of C levelers just got given their own title with Heroes for Hire.

The five or six characters that will be in the (most likely short-lived) Heroes For Hire title are but just a handful of the legions of fodder Marvel has at that level. I know I saw a Bad Signal where Warren Ellis talked about having a mandate from Marvel to look through the 60s and 70s books and see which obscure, currently unused characters could be revived and that may well be part of the idea to trim up the excess. If Ellis doesn't think he can give them CPR, maybe they are history.

Rhyo said:
The five or six characters that will be in the (most likely short-lived) Heroes For Hire title are but just a handful of the legions of fodder Marvel has at that level. I know I saw a Bad Signal where Warren Ellis talked about having a mandate from Marvel to look through the 60s and 70s books and see which obscure, currently unused characters could be revived and that may well be part of the idea to trim up the excess. If Ellis doesn't think he can give them CPR, maybe they are history.

Interesting. That's a very good way of handling things.

MaxwellSmart said:

Victor Von Doom said:
It is kinda ridiculous. I mean by that logic--any Asian superhero could/should be called Yellow (insert character name) or caucasians would be called White But Actually Pinkish If You Will (insert character name). :lol:

I'm not offended....but it's just stupid.

what VVD said, cuz i'm really not offended. cuz as humans, we need names that tell the whole story.....and im just waiting for someone to make a character called the yellow chopstick :wink:

back to civil war...its interesting so far, only thing im not looking forward to is the huge cross overs....

Well, this read like your average Hollywood summer blockbuster. Cool scenes, cool dialouge, cool special effects (thanks to McNiven)... and a plot with enough holes to fill the Albert Hall.

Not to say I didn´t enjoy it! It may be dumb, but it´s fun.

The best thing about this kind of story (even if I find the basic premise forced) is that you, as a reader, really has to pick a side. Its all about the characters - we all love Captain America, and we all love Ironman. To see them being forced to take opposite sides in a war gives it much more impact than the regular "the good guys versus the bad guys"-story.

It´s not new, and it has been done much more clever before (Watchmen, Supreme Power, Dark Knight Returns, Ultimates). But even so, Civil War (so far) makes for a nice coffe break-read.

By the way, so far I am supporting the registration act. If you think about it, its the only logical way to handle the situation. Even if I think perhaps the motives behind the act is questionable, and the behaviour of those who propose it, the reason for the actual act isn´t.

We are talking about individuals that can kill thousands of people with a single thought, or create a nuclear blast. You need a license to drive a CAR... why shouldn´t you need a license to make things explode? In an open and democratic society, there is a need for certain dangerous things to be restricted in order to protect the regular people.

The safety of the public outweighs the personal freedom of individual beings. If this wasn´t true, anyone with a gun should be allowed to walk around the street and kill drugdealers and thieves as they please.

Clearly, in the Marvel world, superheroes are needed. They got Galactus, Kree, Skrulls and thousands of supervillains to worry about. The heroes are necessary. And the government of course understands this - they are not looking to close their activities down. They are simply doing what any responsible government should do with dangerous people: educate them and supervise them.

The ONLY reason I can think of for voting no for this act is the risk of the superheroes friends and family being in danger, as a result of their identities being in a database. But this is already the case today! As has been pointed out, SHIELD already has files on most of the superheroes, and we have all read countless of stories where the people close to the hero gets kidnapped or threated by some villain who has figured out their secret identity. So that risk already exists, and there is no way to remove it. The registration act wouldn´t make it worse, or at least not that much worse that it outweighed the positive effects of the act.

With that said - Go Captain America!!

Like it was said before, it wouldn't be a problem if it was just training them.

But being FORCED against your will to either join the government or be placed in prison? The hell with that. What they should do is what the X-Men do. Take the people and train them. Not draft them. Using the excuse that is "If you need a license to drive car...etc" is a moot point. How many people still cause accidents even with a license? And even if people are trained and what not, who's to say that's going to help? Everyone knows about dirty cops, right?

And just like it was brought up before, the government will soon end up telling you who the villains are. Instead of taking care of a threat that should be taken care of, someone'll probably be shipped off to some other place or whatever to a job that the military is supposed to be used for. Just because heroes have powers does not mean they are better suited for the jobs military people can do.

Then there's the case about giving up the secret identity. Another mistake. There's always someone who's willing to give up information to either save their own *** or do it for revenge or whatever reason they might have. So once a heroes identity is revealed and stored on the computers, who's to say someone won't take say Spider-Man's indentity for example and give it to Green Goblin or whatever villain for whatever reason they have? So in giving up the secret identity, the government just put even more lives on risk then there already is. And that even includes the heroes themselves. What if someone on the government who's always hated a hero for whichever reason they come up with, finally knows the heroe's identity and hunts him/her down and then commits murder? What then? What's justified there? That hero could have been someone that was crucially important in the future.

Again, if the registration was just to train them and certify them, than yeah, I would be all for that. But to force the heroes to do this whether they want to or not, have them reveal a secret that they HAVE to keep, and imprison those who don't want to do what the government says? Sorry. THAT I cannot go with.

And so, I say I hope this thing goes down the toilet. If the government gets what they want...in the end, they won't get what they want.

CW-CaptainAmericaBanner.jpg

Ice said:
Like it was said before, it wouldn't be a problem if it was just training them. But being FORCED against your will to either join the government or be placed in prison?

Well, they have another option. They can put away the costume...

Using the excuse that is "If you need a license to drive car...etc" is a moot point. How many people still cause accidents even with a license? And even if people are trained and what not, who's to say that's going to help? Everyone knows about dirty cops, right?

Yes, but with traffic accidents you have someone to hold responsible, and the same goes for dirty cops (theoretically). But if a superhero has noone to answer to, how would you handle it if they screw up?

Then there's the case about giving up the secret identity. Another mistake. There's always someone who's willing to give up information to either save their own *** or do it for revenge or whatever reason they might have. So once a heroes identity is revealed and stored on the computers, who's to say someone won't take say Spider-Man's indentity for example and give it to Green Goblin or whatever villain for whatever reason they have?

But most heroes identitites are already in a database - SHIELDS. And from reading New Avengers and Secret War, we know that SHIELD is not exactly saints, or immune to corruption and/or hacking.

Again, if the registration was just to train them and certify them, than yeah, I would be all for that. But to force the heroes to do this whether they want to or not, have them reveal a secret that they HAVE to keep, and imprison those who don't want to do what the government says? Sorry. THAT I cannot go with.

Ok, then we both agree that training heroes would be good. But so far we haven´t seen if this new registration would lead to the heroes actually being forced to do anything (although that is a risk). It´s not clear how much operating freedom they would have. I guess we will know more about it in further issues of the mini - and I think Millar will write this story so that you see the strong points of both camps. So I´ll perhaps change my mind next issue...

Latest posts

Back