Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters

Thanks Ice.

I've noticed a lack of griping about the end of Civil War, though. Does anyone else think that it sucks? I've been a big Cap fan since I was a little kid, and seeing him arrested was stupid. The way he abruptly gave up angered me too...

"Oops. Looks like we're destroying the city. Time to give myself up to the police!"

Miller usually writes things to be like a movie. That scene was very un-movie like.

Miller usually writes things to be like a movie. That scene was very un-movie like.
I didn't know Frank did that.

But Millar sure does.

:p

As for the ending, I don't think it sucked. I agree that it seems like a real-quick mind changer, but with Cap and what he saw when he finally stopped thinking about fighting, it seems about right.

I don't read Iron Man and don't know who "Extremis" is. Someone want to explain?

Ice gave you a link but I couldn't recommend it highly enough, and I know TOG, Proj, and Bass will all second that. It was excellent.

I didn't know Frank did that.

But Millar sure does.

:p

As for the ending, I don't think it sucked. I agree that it seems like a real-quick mind changer, but with Cap and what he saw when he finally stopped thinking about fighting, it seems about right.

Ugh. Same difference, but with more or less ninjas.

Ice gave you a link but I couldn't recommend it highly enough, and I know TOG, Proj, and Bass will all second that. It was excellent.

Except for #6 which was crap.

And the villain was quite crap too in places.

But Iron Man, Tony Stark, the character and the plot was really something. The art is incredible too. I only re-read a couple of nights ago and really, #6 is a problem, and the scene explaining why Extremis is a bad guy is balls. But it's a fine run, no question.

I was about to launch into a tyraid of how the metaphor just doesn't work, but I stopped and spared all of you who get ill when the scroll down to ignore long posts. :wink:

One thing of note - I know the metaphor is supposed to be about the current political climate of 5 years ago in reference to the Patriot act and all this "civil liberties or national safety" dilemma... but here's what I thought was a cool metaphor for the series -

The superheroes of Marvel Manhattan are seen as a danger to children.

The superheroes are openly attacked, both verbally and physically, in the streets by civilians.

The government threatens to regulate or completely end superheroes as a concept.

Some of the superheroes decide to continue as they have always been and face the consequences.

Others champion a form of their own form of self-regulation in order to curb public unrest.

Now I don't know about you - but this is a perfect metaphor for what happened to the entire US comics industry in the 1950s.

Just look:

The comics of the US, due to Frederick Wertham's book, The Seduction of the Innocent, are seen as a danger to children.

The US comics are openly attack verbally, and physically burned in the streets by civilians.

The political climate threatens to ban the comic book medium in its entirety.

Other companies create a form of self-regulation called the Comics Code in order to curb public unrest and allow them to be produced without government interference.

Sadly, this code kills off certain companies such as all the horror and crime companies, which, some may say suspiciously, were the top-selling comics at the time.

See what I mean?

I think that would've been fascinating when you consider that Marvel was the first major comics company to scrap the Comics Code in its entirity. I'm aware several independent comics and even DC Vertigo's line were all unapproved by the Comics Code, but Marvel were the first major, mainstream company to abandon it on all of their titles. A big move.

Plus, if you look at the sides, Captain America, a metaphorical icon representing the crime and horror comics built out of World War II in the 40s, and the only real Marvel superhero still left from the era of a non-Comics Code comics industry, makes perfect sense as the anti-registration/Comics Code figure head, a man who fought for his freedom more so than any of his contemporaries. While Mr Fantastic, the leader of the Fantastic Four and the first main character of superhero comics in the 60s when the current era of Marvel comics began post-Comics Code, is a perfect metaphorical figurehead for the pro-registration/Comics Code, a man who's entire career is about making a family work together whilst being berated by the public. And instead of Reed trying to acquiesce to the US government, he'd been saying, "We'll create our own internal system for cataloguing superheroes, which the government can view at any time" therefore creating a middle ground between the two sides, eventually having it implimented, with Captain America's side being utterly removed from the superhero world - or if one wanted to change history, have another resolution to the story.

Anyhow... this is just me thinking about stuff. It popped in my head when I read the last page of the first issue for the first time, I think. Thought I'd share it with you. Consider it a rumination, or a rant, whatever's your poison.
This is still awesome. Just wanted to quote it to give it people's attention because it's THAT awesome.

This is still awesome. Just wanted to quote it to give it people's attention because it's THAT awesome.

:rockon:

THIS is why when you new people disappear for 3 weeks nobody is clamoring for your return. Because you can't post brilliance like this. Now go sit down and color...

Why did Hank Pym get named Man of the Year? What did he do besides stand behind Reed and Tony with his arms crossed, create an out-of-control, murderous Frankenstein's monster (AGAIN), and get knocked out by Hulkling? Man of the Year isn't an award for being such a swell guy, it's designating the person who had the greatest influence in the world during the year.

Why did Hank Pym get named Man of the Year? What did he do besides stand behind Reed and Tony with his arms crossed, create an out-of-control, murderous Frankenstein's monster (AGAIN), and get knocked out by Hulkling? Man of the Year isn't an award for being such a swell guy, it's designating the person who had the greatest influence in the world during the year.

Dunno. Maybe they couldn't deside between the three so Reed and Tony gave it to Hank (the glory whore).

with Penance: Relentless #5 the last book to have civil war aftermath trade dress, Civil War will be officially over

civilgrave.jpg

just over 2 years wow (Amazing Spider-Man #529 was the first to have civil war lead in trade dress)

Oh, right! I getcha. I'm surprised to hear that there were still monthly comics with CIVIL WAR written on the top!

Latest posts

Back