Criminal (Brubaker) - series discussion (spoilers)

Friday

Brubaker/Phillips Criminal

IS starting to get ramped up. We've got a 5-page trailer HERE. No, its not a traditional preview, but 5 original ages just for setup.

I'm stoked. Bru and Phillips did a hell of a job on Sleeper, and this looks like a grittier, unpowered story in that vien. Anyone else with me?

Re: Brubaker/Phillips Criminal

I'm a huge Brubaker fan, and have been following this news with interest. Here are some comments Ed made about the series format:

They're serialized stories. So one arc is five or six issues. And then throughout that, there are back-up stories that flesh out their 'world' or 'universe' and show different sides to these guys and gals. And even hint at things to come. This is going to be a thinking persons book, as far as little things meaning more later. There's no wasted space in this book at all. Various characters will take center stage in different arcs, but they're all appearing, and they're all connected. And each of them have plenty of stories to star in.

I'm starting to wonder if people remember we have a Marvel forum. :lol:

Anyways, I'm definetly checking this out. The creative team is one hell of team that I enjoy much of. But I will get the series in TPB.

Last edited:

Brubaker can do no wrong with me.

Ice said:
I'm starting to wonder if people remember we have a Marvel forum. :lol:

Anyways, I'm definetly checking this out. The creative team is one hell of team that I enojy much of. But I will get the series in TPB.
Well, I didn't put this in the Marvel forum since its under thier Icon imprint, not really a marvel vein book. Plus I thought there was a better chance of it being seen in the general comics board. :wink:

Baxter said:
Well, I didn't put this in the Marvel forum since its under thier Icon imprint, not really a marvel vein book. Plus I thought there was a better chance of it being seen in the general comics board. :wink:
Well, arent the Vertigo comics in the DC forum? :wink:

But I can't wait until this starts. I love these kinds of stories. :D

Ice said:
Well, arent the Vertigo comics in the DC forum? :wink:

But I can't wait until this starts. I love these kinds of stories. :D
Hush you.

Apparently Brubakers doing this on a reduced (or nil) page rate to make sure it keeps going.

Even though I've all but sworn off new monthlies, I will definitely be getting this.

E said:
Even though I've all but sworn off new monthlies, I will definitely be getting this.
I'm doing heavy cuts to my list but this is deffinatly making it on.

I was sold when I saw the name Brubaker. But after actually reading the preview it became a definite.

Sean Phillips interview to be found HERE.

I know you guys are stoked about Brubaker writing this but I'm just as happy about Phillips doing the art. He's spot on about not really fitting the superhero mold, his art in Marvel zombies while servicable was no where near his work on Sleeper or WildC.A.T.S. (no, it really wasn't a superhero book then...).

Last edited:

Yeah, his Sleeper/Wildcats stuff has rocked.

Criminal discussion in the first Comic Pants Podcast, to be found HERE

I think I'm actualy going to put this on my mp3 player and listen to it next time I'm at work.

Anyone pick it up? There was one left in the LCS. I read it and put it back as an anxious patron immediately grabbed it.

Pretty solid.

Starts with a heist that I guess went bad years ago involving the main characters father and his partners (I think).

Jump ahead and we see one of the men involved is now a cop. He's asking the main character (Leo) to help him with a score and another "corrupt" cop is making the arrangements. Leo declines because even though he's the best he considers himself the smartest. He won't work with crooked cops, junkies, or trigger happy associates. But it turns out that a lady friend is hooked into the mission so Leo explores the underworld looking for another associate to help him out.

It's revealed in the end that the crooked cop in charge is doing this because his partner is being held hostage.

4/5

I have to say that I'm completely in love with Leo's character. One of the most interesting and smartest characters I've ever read. I'm still not sure whose connected to who and everything but when I have to time to sit and read it, I know I won't be disappointed. Art's perfect for the storytelling also.

Re: Criminal Series Discussion (Spoilers)

Tradewait for me too, but I was still able to check out the first issue.

Loved the art. Better than Marvel Zombies. Other than that, I'm not terribly familiar with Sean Phillips's work. But this is good.

The story was very engaging and easy to follow and get into. Leo was easy to "get". The whole flow of the story was very natural; I didn't find myself losing interest after a couple of pages, which is rare for me.

4/5 is about right. Looking forward to the next issue.

Latest posts

Back