Dreamcasting 2009 Round 9: "Crime is Doomed..."

I seriously think I'm Nostradamus incarnate. Or something. Yeah, well I wasn't sure on my Alfred casting, but I thought the tone of the Doctor Parnassus trailer would work well for Morrison's Batman and Robin. But I didn't know anything else that Terry Gilliam had directed, so I just passed on it and went with David Lynch. But I think I seriously have weird stuff like that happening to me all the time. It's like I think about stuff that's going to happen, but I don't know it's goign to happen until after it actually happens. It can't all be a coincidence! Like how Nostradamus was able to tell the future, but his visions weren't all that clear and some of them came to him in code.

But thanks guys.

You think YOU'RE Nostradamus?

I chose Tom Waits as Professor Pyg, before knowing that Gilliam had cast him in Parnassus. How's that for strange?

Batman and Robin
adapted for the screen by Rian Johnson (Brick; The Brothers Bloom)
based on the stories by Grant Morrison

Starring...

1zzn9sm.jpg
8xigz7.jpg

Michael C. Hall as Batman/Dick Grayson
Dick Grayson's Batman is ultimately just a role he's playing. He's not *really* Batman; it's a persona he will perform, as Alfred has suggested. Will this be the ultimate case of method acting? Or will Dick begin to internalize his character? Who better to play a man struggling with conflicting responsibilities than TV's poster boy for dual personas, Dexter himself?

2qi3c0n.jpg
5zky2f.jpg

Cameron Bright as Robin/Damian Wayne
Having played supporting roles in Ultraviolet and X Men 3, this guy is already used to working in comic type settings. But it was his performance as the impressionable son in Thank You For Smoking that convinced me to pick him as the wayward, borderline sociopathic new Robin.

2rxh8ig.jpg
9j0fh3.jpg

Hector Elizondo as Alfred Pennyworth

Alfred is the bedrock of stability in a world full of altered circumstances. He is still the manservant of Batman, regardless of who's inside the cowl, and thus provides the crucial link between the old state of things, and the one just being established. More than just an adviser or butler, he is the steward of the Batman persona. And nobody does the sagely watchman schtick quite as charmingly as Elizondo (Pretty Woman, The Princess Diaries, Cane). I have no doubt he can fake a convincing British accent for the role.

6fshw2.jpg

William H. Macy as James Gordon
Overworked. Under severe pressure. But compelled by duty to remain a veneer of normalcy amidst the chaos. William H. Macy can pull that off, easy.

2v0h94l.jpg
24291sk.jpg

Lee Pace as Tim Drake/Red Robin

Tim Drake is a man whose very purpose has been upset by harsh circumstance, and he's not taking it lying down. Pace may seem like an unlikely choice for the role, if you've only seen him in Pushing Daisies, but if you're familiar with his decidedly more complex turn as the protagonist of The Fall, you'll realize exactly why I chose him for the part.

Last edited:
Batman & Robin
Directed by Terry Gilliam
Written by Grant Morrison

and Featuring!

Jude_Law_at_TIFF1.jpg

Jude Law as Dick Grayson (Batman)
Dick and Damian were the hardest choices for me to cast. Jude Law's got the look down for Dick Grayson. He's shown the capability to handle both comedy and drama, something necessary for juggling the free-wheeling nature of Dick Grayson as he tries to take over the more serious mantle of Batman. He's garnered a substantial amount of critical esteem while still maintaining status as a bankable star, something that will be necessary to sell a more surreal take on the Batman mythos, without any recognized villains.

An Unknown as Damian Wayne (Robin)
I know, this is a little bit of a sell-out, but I don't think there's anyone out there who quite fits what I'm looking for. Casting would gear more towards teenage martial artists rather than child actors, and bring someone unknown to the stage. Shop around the Hong Kong action scene for a fresh face the American public wouldn't recognize. The role would be more serious and taciturn than the loud rambunctiousness of the comic book version. We need an actor who's versed in martial arts (muay thai, maybe?), a young guy who could really tear up the action scenes and really show Jude Law up. Whereas Dick is the more well-balanced, all around athlete, Damian should be a terror, a young Alexander the Great.

The_Wire_Freamon.jpg

Clarke Peters as Commissioner James Gordon
For anyone who hasn't seen The Wire, character actor Peters is a perfect fit for the role. He plays quiet, assured calm like no other. He could balance the calm front in the face of Gotham's many problems alongside the righteous indignation that Gordon has to levy against corrupt patrolmen on one end and a depraved City Hall on the other. Peters would bring the righteous coolness to the role of James Gordon, a hip old school cop with a wry brow raised at the trippy and surreal threats that face the city.

Malcolm_McDowell_LF.JPG

Malcolm McDowell as Alfred Pennysworth (The Butler)
This version of the character would strip out the former militant Alfred that's become so popular as of late. He's worldly and experienced. He was an actor once, and much more, but he tends to play his cards to his chest, happy to act the part of playful, stalwart sidekick to the new Batman. Yet, there is a strong bond of duty there. There are hints that he knows more about the mystery surrounding Bruce's family and, through proxy, the tragic events behind his death (an undercurrent which would lurk in the shadows of the story, driving much of the unstated conflict), a consequent factor in why he feels so indebted to the Batman mantle.

Rosario%20Dawson%20-%201%20-%20300%20-%20RENT.jpg

Rosario Dawson as Barbara Gordon (Oracle)
While she certainly doesn't have a great track record of picking the best roles, I think surrounded by a great cast, Rosario Dawson could really step up her game. She's a comic book fan and would bring a passion to the role, and her spots in Kids and 25th Hour have me convinced of her potential. She can bring strength to the Barbara Gordon character while also working as the stable romantic lead. She plays Dick's disabled girlfriend , who helps him coordinate his work in the field while networking between her Commissioner father and her superhero lover. She is the sense of reason in reckless Dick's life even as things in his life take a turn for the weird, a stark counterpoint to the Bruce as Batman dynamic, Dick and Barbara have a healthy relationship despite their adversity. There wouldn't be any mentions of her being Batgirl before her accident, and in this version, she wouldn't be. One of the recurring themes of the film would be an ambiguous regard as to whether or not Bruce as Batman has actually contributed positively to the city of Gotham. Her crippling at the hands of Batman's greatest villain would be indicative of how Batman's career destroys the lives of those around him, yet there's also the indication that, due to the tragedy, she has grown stronger in many ways.

Jeffrey_Wright_cropped_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Jeffrey Wright as Toad
I considered John Turturro for the role but dude is SO TALL. I hate casting Jeffrey Wright in such background supporting roles but he plays them so well, and I know he'd really eat up the scenery as the sniveling, slimy villain middleman.

tom-waits-2.jpg

Tom Waits as Professor Pyg
Professor Pyg would be a character who's face we never seen, perpetually hidden behind a bizarre mask. While I considered David Bowie and Eddie Izzard for the role, I eventually settled on Tom Waits, based largely on his voice. He has such a bizarre and delicious range, and his musical career basically qualifies him as a voice actor. He seemed a perfect fit for the almost spoken word quality I imagine Prof. Pyg having. Furthermore, in the few roles he's been in, he's exhibited a strong propensity for full body physical mannerisms and quirks, which would be necessary to marry the voice to the body, given the lack of facial expression.

david-bowie-142.jpg

David Bowie as Simon Hurt/Thomas Wayne/The Devil Himself
Bowie fits the sort of bizarre combination of worldly gentleman and theatrical personality I see in Bowie. In the film he would be a presence rather than a character, appearing to Grayson in hallucinations, in dreams, and at moments when others cannot verify his presence. He would offer a Lynchian quality to the whole affair. Is he Thomas Wayne, or the Devil, or the sadistic doctor who murdered Bruce Wayne? Is he a mysterious benefactor behind Prof. Pyg's bizarre MO? Or is he a combination of all of these? We wouldn't have any concrete answers, but he would certainly raise questions. If the audience is to believe that Hurt is actually Thomas Wayne, then they are to believe that Bruce's father is not at all happy with the route his son's life took. As a doctor and philanthropist, the idea of his son becoming an aggravating factor in the city, a man who attacks the cancer rather than tries to cure it, is antithetical to the philosophy of the elder Wayne.

Last edited:
All quite good, but Compound's is solid gold. Although I like Panda's choice of Clarke Peters as Gordon and it's nice to see Malcolm MacDowell play someone who isn't a villain.

I want to see more people actually cast Damian, though.

Last edited:
Well played, Zombipanda! I really wish I'd built a cast around Jude Law as Dick/Batman. Excellent choice, man.

Haven't seen The Wire, so I can't really comment on your pick for Gordon. But I find it absolutely hilarious that you're willing to cast him, then recommend Charlize Theron (who doesn't look even remotely racially mixed) to play his daughter. No reference to Babs being a step daughter, or adoption, or any such excuse. It's a bold move, and the rules of the game don't require you to justify it. But i'm still not sure whether to laud your audacity, or question the apparent ridiculousness.

Okay...

I don't think I'm actually eligible to win this, but I don't care because I can't get this cast out of my head. The Internet has to know.

Jimmy Fallon as Dick Grayson/Batman

jimmy24.jpg
Batman-1.jpg

Yeah, that's right.

Dick needs to be played by a lighter actor. He's not haunted, or disturbed or creepy, the same way that Bruce, Jason and Damian are (in different, varying ways). He's the most well-rounded of any of the Bat-family; his only major concern is that he has to pick up where a legend who has spent years establishing himself left off. Sound familiar? I know this unconventional, but I think this could work. Fallon's got an infectious charm and like most comedians, I get the sense that he probably has a very prominent dark side he'd like to explore.

Jack Gleeson as Damian Wayne/Robin

jackgleeson.jpg
Robin-1.jpg

I saw him in a stage version of 'Great Expectations' last year and he's a great actor and if there's any justice, he'll be the next big Irish actor internationally. Frankly, more than in any other adaptation, Robin would need to be played by a young boy (or at least someone that looks like a young boy) in this, to strengthen the dynamic. Gleeson fits the intensity for Damian perfectly. Also, he has a head of messy black hair these days, so that works too.

Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth
professor2.jpg

Alfred would really need to seem like a sophisticated thespian in this story and Irons exudes that in spades.

Clancy Brown as James Gordon
ClancyBrownasKlein.jpg

Gordon in this story isn't neccessarily Batman's biggest fan. He's frustrated and clueless as to what's going on and who has taken over. He still trusts Batman to some extent, but he's cautious. Plus, I wanted to cast someone broader and tougher-looking, to differentiate from Gary Oldman.

Bill Bailey as Toad
bill-bailey-l.jpg

Bill Bailey would be the perfect blend of frantic insanity and genuine comedy in this role, however minor it may be.

Last edited:
All quite good, but Compound's is solid gold. Although I like Panda's choice of Clarke Peters as Gordon and it's nice to see Malcolm MacDowell play someone who isn't a villain.

I want to see more people actually cast Damian, though.

It's kind of hard to cast a fifteen year old kid, is the thing.

Well played, Zombipanda! I really wish I'd built a cast around Jude Law as Dick/Batman. Excellent choice, man.

Haven't seen The Wire, so I can't really comment on your pick for Gordon. But I find it absolutely hilarious that you're willing to cast him, then recommend Charlize Theron (who doesn't look even remotely racially mixed) to play his daughter. No reference to Babs being a step daughter, or adoption, or any such excuse. It's a bold move, and the rules of the game don't require you to justify it. But i'm still not sure whether to laud your audacity, or question the apparent ridiculousness.

heh.... hahaha.... I didn't even think of that. Honestly, Theron was kind of an off-handed, last minute thing. I knew I wanted Babs to be in it, but wasn't really thinking it through when I cast her. I'll probably change that.

Grant Morrison's​
BATMAN AND ROBIN

Batman / Dick Grayson - Jake Gyllenhaal

graysonbatman.jpg
jakegyllenhaal4.jpg

Gyllenhaal's name always comes up a lot for superhero castings, but I think this is one he really fits. I can easily imagine him as the former Robin struggling to up hold his mentor's mantle. Gyllenhaal is one of my favorite young actors and really can't think of any one better for this part.

Robin / Damian Wayne - Thomas Dekker

damianwayne.jpg
1792368117923682medium.jpg

Damian was virtually impossible to cast, so I just went with the first name that came to mind. Dekker is probably way too old, but looks appropriately creepy and is a decent enough actor. I think compound's suggestion of Cameron Bright is spot on, though.

Alfred Pennyworth - Timothy Dalton

alfredc.jpg
2434440924344410medium.jpg

Dalton fits proper English man vibe of Alfred from the comics and is a very underrated comic actor. I can see him pulling off a nice mix of warmth and humor needed for Alfred. Plus anyone who has seen Hot Fuzz or Flash Gordon knows he can rock a 'stache. Something that has been missing from all screen incarnations of Alfred.

James Gordon - Kurt Russell

gordonswq.jpg
kurtrussell1.jpg

Kurt Russell is like my super-fantastic perfect word choice for Gordon. Why not use him here?

Timothy Dalton as Alfred?!

YES.

I am punishing my brain for not coming up with this. Good show, DIH. My hat goes off to you, sir. (He isn't English though, he's Welsh. Not that that really matters.)

Last edited:
Kurt Russell FTW!

I swapped Theron for Rosario Dawson, for the record, and looking back, if I were to go with a white girl at all, I would have preferred to make it Milla Jovovich.

And Gothamite, I love most of your cast but.... Jimmy Fallon as Dick Grayson? Sorry dude.... I'm not buying what you're selling.

Last edited:
This has been an impressive round, so far.

I'm really liking Disorder's cast. Jake Gyllenhaal was actually my first pick, but I decided to go with a slightly older version of Dick, just so that I could cast a Damian who's in his mid teens, and still retain the age gap between the new partners.

Hmmm... Disorder's supporting cast might actually gel better with Zombipanda's choice of Jude Law as Batman (and ZP's proposed approach to the villains, which absolutely RULES).

Dalton is actually my fave Alfred, thus far. A wonderful choice, Disorder!

compound said:
Hmmm... Disorder's supporting cast might actually gel better with Zombipanda's choice of Jude Law as Batman (and ZP's proposed approach to the villains, which absolutely RULES).

I dig Jake too, and I'd happily take Disorder's supporting cast. I was so hyped on the villains that I kind of froze up on my supporting guys.

Jimmy Fallon can't go one scene without cracking up.

I am (Heh=heh=hehehe-heh) Batman.
The night is (Ah-heh) mine!

I'm totally done with my cast so now all I have to do is write up my plot. It's pretty different from the actual book but the same heart is there.

Batman & Robin

The Protagonists:

Dick Grayson, the Batman- Adrian Grenier
xin_2909021911447693257111.jpg

The man who Batman would call partner, Dick Grayson now has the unbelievable job of filling the Batman's (very large) shoes. Nervous to say the least, Dick still has all of the skills necessary to take on the mantle. If any of you watch Entourage then you'll know that Adrien Grenier's character of Vinny Chase is an up and comer learning what it's like to reach the big time. I also think that he's way optimistic enough to play off of the near psychopathic Damian.

Damian Wayne, Robin the Boy Wonder- Michael James Olsen
Michael-James-Olsen-1117297-246.jpg

Damian is a hard character to do because he's a maniac locked inside of the body of a twelve year old. I see him being a very good contrast to Dick, disobeying his leader at every turn and belittling him to no end. Since Damian needs an inner rage and jealousy at Dick for being accepted as Batman's successor. Olsen played a similar character as the young Victor Creed in Wolverine, showing signs of jealousy over his own brother that would be necessary for Damian.

Alfred Pennyworth- Michael Gambon

Feeling the loss of essentially his son, Alfred Pennyworth would work extremely hard to see to it that his grandson Dick doesn't befall the same fate as Bruce. Taking an almost obsessive role in how Dick should act, Alfred would come to learn that Dick can handle being the Batman only with Alfred's help. Michael Gambon did this greatly in the fifth of the Harry Potter films as he tried to shut of Harry to keep him from harm. It's very similar character turns that could be translated well towards an Alfred without a Bruce Wayne.

Commissioner Jim Gordon- Tom Selleck
tom_selleck.jpg

The tough cop, the old veteran, and the caring father are the aspects that sum up the character of Jim Gordon. This is a Gordon who knows something has changed significantly in Gotham and is going to get down to the bottom of it. I'd want this Gordon to be a more man of action than has been portrayed just because it seems like he would like to take things into his hands more now that the Batman has been replaced. Tom Selleck might seem like too much of a man's man for the role of Gordon but that's exactly what he's supposed to be, a man's man.

Barbara Gordon, Oracle- Lake Bell
0130_lake-bell-over-her-dead-body-banner.jpg

Playing the role of intelligencer, technician and girlfriend of the Batman is hard enough without having to do it handicapped. Barbara Gordon is obviously a woman who knows that the job will always come before love and wants to do everything in her power to keep Dick safe. Each of these characters reacts differently to the rise of the new Batman, but Barbara is the only one who sees him knowing she'll never have enough. Lake Bell might not be familiar to most and has done mostly comedy roles before but she's always played tough characters before and I think she can play a tortured Barbara Gordon really well and has a very down to earth look to her.

Latest posts

Back