Fantastic Four #554-569 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch take over Fantastic Four!

But it's completely unnecessary and irrelevant to what he said/did.

Also - it's odd you'd chastise me for having a go at you for your opinion, yet it's perfectly okay for you to attack Liefeld as soon as he voices one of his own. :?

I didn't chastise you for anything. And I'm not 'attacking' Liefeld for having one either.

kirkawesomevy0.jpg

Oh thank god, the cover to their second issue is infinitely better than that horrid first. I am no longer *too* worried.

I guess initial orders haven't been so hot

FF#554 to get not one but two variants

as seen in the new solicit

FANTASTIC FOUR #554 (DEC072181)
FANTASTIC FOUR #554 BIANCHI VARIANT (DEC078057)
FANTASTIC FOUR #554 SUYDAM SKRULL VARIANT (NOV078182)
Written by MARK MILLAR
Pencils & Cover by BRYAN HITCH
Variant Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI
Skrull Variant Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM
Rated A…$2.99
FOC—1/24/08, On-Sale—2/13/08

Bianchi cover
FF554a_DC.JPG

no image of the Suydam "Skrull cover" is available

Skrull's are the new zombies

original article located Here

Last edited:

That looks bad. I don't mean the art - why on Earth would they put the logo on there twice like that? It looks stupid.

That looks bad. I don't mean the art - why on Earth would they put the logo on there twice like that? It looks stupid.
"It's magic. We don't have to explain it."

Also, I absolutely abhor this minor unconscious trend to make Ben look 'realistic'. Just ask Jack Kirby:

avi2005518-05_1116404485.gif

Six page fully lettered preview of Fantastic Four # 554, courtesy of Newsarama.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=144327

I'm still conflicted. I still harbor a 'grudge' over Millar's work on Ultimate Fantastic Four, but I still want to give him a second chance and like this.

That said, it's typical Millar from what we get to see here.

Me too.

Millar's dialogue is really starting to piss me off; not every line has to be a statement of fact.

Me too.

Millar's dialogue is really starting to piss me off; not every line has to be a statement of fact.
Exactly.

I don't really mind what's goes on in his stories, but it feels like characters are telling each other things they should already know.

CHARACTER 1: "Why are you doing this, Character 2? I thought you had decided that you were going to radically rethink your life! Wasn't that thing you did last week supposed to part of that whole thing?"

CHARACTER 2: "That's true, Character 1? But that was only because I just couldn't pass up such and such. You do remember that time at that place, right?

CHARACTER 3: "Oh shut up, do you guys need to like recount events back and forth to each other all the time."

CHARACTER 4: "I think I'm going to pose here and make a serious face looking straight at the camera. Maybe even clasp my hands together in deep thought."

CHARACTER 3: "Pffft. You just get hard thinking about Bryan Hitch drawing your biceps."

That's pretty much it. One statement after another. It's as if they're aware we're watching and are trying to make sure we know what's going on. Ugh.

That's pretty much it. One statement after another. It's as if they're aware we're watching and are trying to make sure we know what's going on. Ugh.
The sad thing is, it doesn't take much more than very very minor editing to avoid that.

Page 1 said:
REED: "Sue! Force field!"

SUE: "I've got it covered, honey. What's going on with the time portal?"
Edit it so it says, "I've got it covered, honey. How's it going there?" and have Reed say, "The time portal should open up exactly one hundred years forward, right next to Dumbo."

Page 3 said:
REED: "Now everyone hold tight! This is going to feel just like it felt when we rescued Ben from sixteen eighty two!"
Change it to "Everyone hold tight! It's going to be just as bumpy as 1682!"

Page 5 said:
BEN: "Don't blame me! Brain box was the one who scattered us all over the timestream when he was supposed to be taking us on our big family trip! So much for Disneyland's grand opening in 1955, ya bum!"
It's so wordy. It could easily be: "Don't look at me! I'm not the one who turned a family trip to the fifties into one crazy game of hide and seek!"

Then, Sue and Reed's overly verbose exchange could be reduced to:

REED: "I'm sorry, everyone. I just wanted to make today special. But I messed up again, didn't I?"

SUE: "It's not your fault, Reed. That temporal storm came out of nowhere. Besides... 1955 will always be there. We can always go back."

Millar's a great writer and one of the best Marvel's got, but "that temporal storm came out of no where."

I respect the man a little bit less now.

The sad thing is, it doesn't take much more than very very minor editing to avoid that.

I like the game of rewriting it. So I did. In BACK TO THE FUTURE stylee (appropriate since this preview is an homage to that film) I apologise for the crudity of my photoshops, I didn't have time to find the right font or speech bubbles. :wink:

beditff554picture48io7.jpg

beditff554picture49qr7.jpg

beditff554picture50yo8.jpg

beditff554picture51kh9.jpg

beditff554picture52ye0.jpg

Nice job. The dialog's a bit out of place, but you did a very good job working with the panels.

Damn right you would. And it would totally change your life for ever.

Also - technically, it's more Hitch and Bass than Millar and Bass, so I guess the creative team name should be *****.

I like how the "Uncle Johnny" speech bubble is said by....Johnny himself. :p

Latest posts

Back