Fantastic Four #554-569 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch take over Fantastic Four!

I swear I almost expected the characters to start saying exactly what they were feeling each page.

"I can't believe you'd do that Reed! I'm so angry with you "

"I'm sorry sweety. I'm upset that I made you angry."
"Hey sis! Did you see what I just did to Ben? That felt awesome."

"I'm angry that you don't realize that I'm upset because you're teasing me made me sad. So um, I'm going to clobber you."

I really enjoyed it and I don't care what any of you think.

Hey, Proj. I thought the dialogue was poopy, but I downloaded the comic.

Today, I went into my LCS and bought the issue. I enjoyed it. It was good. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I finally picked it up today and really enjoyed it. The plot so far isn't real exciting but the story is good. I like the Hitchisms - Reed's face when Ben asks him to go with him, Sue's when Ben comments on how hot the girl was. Great stuff.

For my first issue of a Fantastic Four comic I was pretty impressed. Of course I've read Hitch Millar before so of course I liked it.

Re: Fantastic Four (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

The second issue was much better than the first. The story is finally progressing and the art is improved. It doesn't look as rushed as the first issue.

When I first saw them mention those "CAPS" I was thinking Millar was setting up a way to possibly bring back Captain America if needed in the future. Luckily it's just a giant badass robot.

I am enjoying this.

So he's married twice?

Awesome.

No, it's just what Sue calls her behind her back. Her real name's Alyssa or something.

The 2nd issue was much better.

I like the character of "Mrs.Fantastic."

The second issue was better, I agree.

The dialogue is still pretty poor for the most part, but Millar's got a good story and grasp on the characters, so it's still very entertaining; things like the idea that the Earth is irrevocably doomed is very well handled. Hitch and the rest of the art team are perfect.

In December, we get an issue of FF and a 56 page special by Millar/Hitch. :D

Just read #555 - loved it.

Although there are a couple of times where I see faces drawn EXACTLY like they were in Ultimates/Ultimates 2. But they way I look at it - if Hitch needs to copy his previous work to get current work out on time, it's alright with me.

I like the idea behind Johnny possibly seeing a super villain. And the super robot thing on the loose. Oh yeah - and moving the entirety of Earth's population to a synthetic planet.

When I first saw them mention those "CAPS" I was thinking Millar was setting up a way to possibly bring back Captain America if needed in the future.

That was one of my biggest worries. At one point I thought it would only make sense that Reed is so intelligent that of course he'd be so haughty as to think that he could go ahead with the controversial cloning thing again. Even though the Clor thing didn't work out so hot.

The idea of an entire army of Caps policing the Nu-World was an intriguing idea though.

I like the idea behind Johnny possibly seeing a super villain.

I absolutely love this as well. The idea of Johnny stopping a robbery and the thief is so enamored by him that she just decides to start making out with him.

Yeah - the super villain make out session is so in Johnny's character it's amazing it's not been done before. A really good idea.

It's the little moments I like in this. Reed taking Sue 13 years into the past for their anniversary just to watch their first meeting... sweet.

Also, DOOM is here.

I kinda liked it - there were some very nice touches. Again, I think Millar's weakness is his dialogue. It's pretty poor. But his story and his character touches and ideas are all pretty solid, so good for him.

I am, however, disappointed. I expected this four-part issue to be focusing on the environment and Reed really having to deal with the global crisis. Not only that, but I actually expected them to go to Nu-World. (Maybe the cover to the second issue was a bit of a hint.)

Instead, all that was ignored so we could have a mecha-fight. A large robot who Millar decides can arbitrarily beat everyone in the MU (including Sentry - seriously, this is why I hate continuity. If the robot was just taking on nuclear military outposts, fine. There's no need to bring in Spidey and Wolverine and all the baggage that brings because in so doing, you kinda go - "Bull****. Sentry can fly him into the sun.") and then Reed 'out thinks' him. Why didn't he just ASK Alyssa if he was on the list? Why the stupid risk? It's very forced and contrived.

So... apart from the actual main plot - CAP and the fight with him - I think this was actually pretty damn good. Each of the four are well defined, Hitch's art is INCREDIBLE, and there's some good work in the setting - Nu-World, Sue's charity group, Johnny's girlfriend, etc. So... yeah. I honestly think Millar needs a writing partner to help him just like... I dunno say, "Dude. DO THIS. You're already doing half of it. Do the rest." kinda stuff.

It annoys me because I think it's small fixes and choices of direction and approach that are kinda... causing this title to stumble. There really is a LOT of good stuff in it.

Looking forward to the rest of the run.

The dialogue is still pretty poor for the most part, but Millar's got a good story and grasp on the characters, so it's still very entertaining....

It's the little moments I like in this. Reed taking Sue 13 years into the past for their anniversary just to watch their first meeting... sweet.

I completely agree.

Also, DOOM is here.

:rockon:

I kinda liked it - there were some very nice touches. Again, I think Millar's weakness is his dialogue. It's pretty poor. But his story and his character touches and ideas are all pretty solid, so good for him.

I am, however, disappointed. I expected this four-part issue to be focusing on the environment and Reed really having to deal with the global crisis. Not only that, but I actually expected them to go to Nu-World. (Maybe the cover to the second issue was a bit of a hint.)

Instead, all that was ignored so we could have a mecha-fight. A large robot who Millar decides can arbitrarily beat everyone in the MU (including Sentry - seriously, this is why I hate continuity. If the robot was just taking on nuclear military outposts, fine. There's no need to bring in Spidey and Wolverine and all the baggage that brings because in so doing, you kinda go - "Bull****. Sentry can fly him into the sun.") and then Reed 'out thinks' him. Why didn't he just ASK Alyssa if he was on the list? Why the stupid risk? It's very forced and contrived.

So... apart from the actual main plot - CAP and the fight with him - I think this was actually pretty damn good. Each of the four are well defined, Hitch's art is INCREDIBLE, and there's some good work in the setting - Nu-World, Sue's charity group, Johnny's girlfriend, etc. So... yeah. I honestly think Millar needs a writing partner to help him just like... I dunno say, "Dude. DO THIS. You're already doing half of it. Do the rest." kinda stuff.

It annoys me because I think it's small fixes and choices of direction and approach that are kinda... causing this title to stumble. There really is a LOT of good stuff in it.

After reading this issue and then re-reading the whole "arc" so far, I have to agree.

The ideas and story themselves are great....but the dialogue seems to be lacking any real depth. A lot of it just comes off as "matter-of-fact".

This was neat

it could be better, but this arc was probably mostly set-up, Hitch was fantastic as usual, the story itself feels too conventional though, the character moments were nice, but I don't trust that nanny at all.

3/5

I agree with Bass.

This isn't really as good as I hoped, it's almost boring.

Latest posts

Back