Fantastic Four #554-569 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch take over Fantastic Four!

I love me some Bryan Hitch.

What's Reed's old girlfriend's name?

Six page fully lettered preview of Fantastic Four # 554, courtesy of Newsarama.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=144327
Hitch's art looks excellent. I get the impression that he was pretty overworked by the end of Ultimates 2. This stuff feels far more relaxed and clean.

The story is decent, though I get the dialog complaints.
I like the game of rewriting it. So I did. In BACK TO THE FUTURE stylee (appropriate since this preview is an homage to that film) I apologise for the crudity of my photoshops, I didn't have time to find the right font or speech bubbles. :wink:

beditff554picture48io7.jpg

beditff554picture49qr7.jpg

beditff554picture50yo8.jpg

beditff554picture51kh9.jpg

beditff554picture52ye0.jpg
This actually sounds more like Millar than the real text. (And I mean that in a good way.)

Last edited:

That's pretty much it. One statement after another. It's as if they're aware we're watching and are trying to make sure we know what's going on. Ugh.

It's like watching Pokemon!

or reading a comic by Stan Lee

at least it's better than "Suck It!"....good god

This is the Fantastic Four I love.

The one where nobody would or should shut the **** up.

And when they refuse to shut the **** up, it's actually funny.

:D I thought you'd like it. If only for the geeky continuity references to Uatu and Lockjaw. :D

:D I thought you'd like it. If only for the geeky continuity references to Uatu and Lockjaw. :D
The dorkier the FF reference, the BETTER.

I need a T-shirt that says, "Whatever Happened To Ulysses Klaw?"

That t-shirt should have a picture of him falling into a plot-hole.

Meh.

I was not impressed by Millar's first issue. But I'll still probably follow his run just because its Millar.

But his first issue left something to be desired. I'm also growing tired of Hitch's art.

I don't know.....I'm kinda cranky right now when it comes to comics.

Meh.

I was not impressed by Millar's first issue. But I'll still probably follow his run just because its Millar.

But his first issue left something to be desired. I'm also growing tired of Hitch's art.

I don't know.....I'm kinda cranky right now when it comes to comics.

How did you get it? Doesn't it come out Wednesday?

Read the issue.

I loved the artwork. I also liked a lot of the ideas - Johnny as Paris Hilton; Sue's charity superteam; Nu-World. I liked all that.

BUT - dammit. Millar needs to work on his dialogue. It's really, really, annoying how every sentence explains everything that could be going on. Subtlety and sub-text are sorely lacking. For example; Sue tells Ben she's off to see She-Hulk and Wasp and tells him why. Then she tells Reed what they're doing in the next panel. Then, a few pages later, we get this same information repeated again by Sue to She-Hulk and Wasp. This parroting of exposition is amateurish. Character A tells Character B a plot point, then runs off to Character C to tell them the same plot point again - it's how soap operas work to fill time when there's no story.

Frankly - I think the issue should've just opened with Nu-World. The rest of the stuff can all be done as small background scenes at any point to punctuate the story.

I liked it much, much more than I disliked it. To me, there are two Mark Millars. One is the guy who came up with the story; and the other is the guy who sat down to write it. The first, I've no problem with. The second, I think needs to really work a lot harder. I'm tempted to rescript the entire issue to see what would happen to it.

Confirmed by Millar, Fantastic Four 554 has sold out and he also drops a hint:
"PS The big news? One of the team is not who they seem in the first few issues. Does this tie into Secret Invasion? Only time will tell. But all will be clear in a few months time. In the meantime, watch fo clues."

Last edited:

Read the issue.

I loved the artwork. I also liked a lot of the ideas - Johnny as Paris Hilton; Sue's charity superteam; Nu-World. I liked all that.

BUT - dammit. Millar needs to work on his dialogue. It's really, really, annoying how every sentence explains everything that could be going on. Subtlety and sub-text are sorely lacking. For example; Sue tells Ben she's off to see She-Hulk and Wasp and tells him why. Then she tells Reed what they're doing in the next panel. Then, a few pages later, we get this same information repeated again by Sue to She-Hulk and Wasp. This parroting of exposition is amateurish. Character A tells Character B a plot point, then runs off to Character C to tell them the same plot point again - it's how soap operas work to fill time when there's no story.

Frankly - I think the issue should've just opened with Nu-World. The rest of the stuff can all be done as small background scenes at any point to punctuate the story.

I liked it much, much more than I disliked it. To me, there are two Mark Millars. One is the guy who came up with the story; and the other is the guy who sat down to write it. The first, I've no problem with. The second, I think needs to really work a lot harder. I'm tempted to rescript the entire issue to see what would happen to it.

"PS The big news? One of the team is not who they seem in the first few issues. Does this tie into Secret Invasion? Only time will tell. But all will be clear in a few months time. In the meantime, watch fo clues."

I think that explains Bass' rant about Sue.

Read the issue.

It's true. Which is sad, because I always think of Millar as someone who writes good dialog.

Honestly, I think he may have been overlorded working on story and just phoned in the dialog.

Thing, Franklin, or Val.

Certain of it.

I swear I almost expected the characters to start saying exactly what they were feeling each page.

"I can't believe you'd do that Reed! I'm so angry with you "

"I'm sorry sweety. I'm upset that I made you angry."

Thing, Franklin, or Val.

Certain of it.

Franklin would make sense if they took it all the way back to Heroes Reborn, and him no longer having powers.

I swear I almost expected the characters to start saying exactly what they were feeling each page.

"I can't believe you'd do that Reed! I'm so angry with you "

"I'm sorry sweety. I'm upset that I made you angry."

:lol: Yes! Exactly!

It was very mildly okay.

I liked Hitch better than usual in this.

Two reasons:

1) Nu-World LOOKS INCREDIBLE. Oh Lordy, it's good.

2) The MILF scene. You know the one. That's right. She-Hulk and Sue Storm have never looked so fine.

Latest posts

Back