Final Crisis series discussion [spoilers]

Last Rites was really good. A whole overview of Batman's career on top of the Final Crisis stuff. I don't know why you wouldn't want to read.

I am really only interested in it in terms of how it relates to FC. And I got most of that from what I read online. I don't really need the overview of Batmans career. I'm a comic nerd who has been reading comics for close to 30 years. I get it. Besides Bats will back in a year or so anyway. 8)

Oh, and that's not Clayface.

Yeah its "Lump".(?) And he is in Batmans head. (Isn't that a song?)

But isn't that Clayfaces body they are using? Looks a lot like him.

Last edited:
Ok. So I re-read this whole series (up to #6 anyway) and it is a lot less confusing and disjointed when read without the huge delays in between. That being said, this last issue things start to come apart a little.

My biggest gripe (well, this and the fact that a Flash conversation reads like lyrics to a Dio song) is that things just seem to happen off panel. It may be nitpicky of me but things like when we see Talky Tawny he is beat down in a pool of his own blood, jet pack lying next to him. He sees the lighting from Freddie and Mary and next thing we see, he is jet packing a claw through Kalibaks belly and magically healed.

My biggest gripe is when we see the group of Hourman, Liberty Bell, both Wildcats and some armor guys fighting hordes.

They appear to succeed and they brace for the 2nd wave.

Next we see them, they are falling to the furies. Wildcat is beat up and leashed to Catwoman. Little Wildcat is off behind his dad and appears to be being torn apart by the giant dog things. Hourman and Liberty Bell are falling also and judging by the rocket pack in Gigantas hand, the armor guys aren't faring well either. All costumes and masks are torn to shreds.

There is one panel, where we see this group, now somehow free from the furies, receiving medical care, (and apparently new uniforms) cuz next...

Superman comes tearing through out of nowhere, blasts the furies with heat vision and we see our group of Hourman, Liberty Bell and both Wildcats standing there, apparently unscathed in new masks and uniforms lamenting the end of the world.

I don't know. Is that being too nitpicky or is that just kind of sloppy?

Also, does anyone know, during the part where Montoya is being led to brother eye, there is a panel where they walk past a room and Montoya asks "what's happening in there?" and the director says "nothing". Who is that on the table?

Saturn Girl?

Last edited:
Mike, I think you've nailed it...

Generally I think this has been really quite excellent, but it just seems to be too compact... Didio REALLY should have given Morrison the full 12 issues the original Crisis had.

Also, does anyone know, during the part where Montoya is being led to brother eye, there is a panel where they walk past a room and Montoya asks "what's happening in there?" and the director says "nothing". Who is that on the table?

Saturn Girl?

Mike, I heartily agree that the transitions are too abrupt and I feel like we have to work extra hard to follow along.

Maybe that was the nazi superwoman on the table?

It would seem so. At least for now.
thanks
Used spoiler quotes just in case someone has been living under a rock.

you wouldn't have to be living under a rock to not know this. If you don't read much DC, you wouldn't know.

I knew Batman might be dead and that everyone was unsure for a while. I just hadn't heard how it ended.

Mike, I think you've nailed it...

Generally I think this has been really quite excellent, but it just seems to be too compact... Didio REALLY should have given Morrison the full 12 issues the original Crisis had.

And if Morrison asked for 12 issues and was turned down, he REALLY should have cut stuff from his mess of a story.

Maybe for trades they should add more, like an extended edition or something.

Last edited:

Agreed. Of course, if that were the case, assuming the delays would be the same, we would only be at the halfway point right now.

Mike, I heartily agree that the transitions are too abrupt and I feel like we have to work extra hard to follow along.

Maybe that was the nazi superwoman on the table?

I don't think it is so much the transitions as it's that within a panel or 2 characters go from being chained/defeated/torn up to being not chained/defeated/torn up with no explanation. It just appears to be sloppiness to me. What bothers me most about this particular thing (why I am harping on it I guess) is that the splash page where WW and her group of furies have wildcat and the rest of the JSA remnants defeated, that is a high impact image. when I first read it I stopped on that page for a few minutes and checked it out. It gave me a "Whoa!" moment. (which is more than the Batman scene did) Then inexplicably these same characters appear to be fine after all. So it detracts from the imapact of what came mere pages earlier.

Nazi Superwoman? Hmm...I was thinking either Saturn girl or the evil Saturn Girl...Saturn Queen (or whatever her name is). I figured that would explain the FC banner of LoTW.

thanks

you wouldn't have to be living under a rock to not know this. If you don't read much DC, you wouldn't know.

I knew Batman might be dead and that everyone was unsure for a while. I just hadn't heard how it ended.

True. And it isn't as though DC hyped it very well or (very much) among the general media. The delays may have had something to do with that tho.

I only read infinite crisis once, after it had finished and i read all in one go. I didn't really get a lot of that, but i was still new. I'd be interested to hear people who have followed both infinite and final crisis as they've come out and how they compare to each other.

Also, is batman dead? really? I don't even know anymore..does he die here? did he die in RIP? was he killed then revived in final crisis, only to be killed again? seriously i wish sometimes DC editorial would just release a timeline/read-order for things like this - events i think they're called. Read-orders, not checklists - I figure superman beyond has already happened before FC6. Not that it ties in that much anyway.

I only read infinite crisis once, after it had finished and i read all in one go. I didn't really get a lot of that, but i was still new. I'd be interested to hear people who have followed both infinite and final crisis as they've come out and how they compare to each other.

Storywise, IC is more along the line of the original CoIE of the 2. Its pretty straighforward. IMO, FC is a better idea and better story just a little....convoluted in how it is being told.

Also, is batman dead? really?

It would seem so. At least for the immediate future.

I don't even know anymore..does he die here? did he die in RIP? was he killed then revived in final crisis, only to be killed again?

Last page of FC #6.

And yeah...the timing of this whole story is completely fubar because FC was so behind schedule. I think we were discussing that earlier in this thread. Apparently RIP happens before FC then Last Rites 2 issue arc handles Batman between FC #2 and FC #6.

I have no ida when FC happens on the Superman timeline.

Cool. Thanks. Have you read it? Is it worth picking up?

It's the best Batman ever. I can't recommend it enough.

It made the scene in Final Crisis 6 the greatest thing ever.

I agree this issue seemed all over the place and a little off, but I think he was forced to rewrite after the series was already underway.

Well, I just finally got #6 today and loved it. It was great, scary, and utterly awesome.

This mini has been the best thing I have read from DC. 'Course I may not have read much, but it still holds true.

Pffft... I like it, lots. But if it were twelve issues long, it would take three years to come out. And, honestly, it doesn't need that much space. The pacing isn't typical, but it fits the story. The only group that's really suffered from the pacing are Mister Miracle and the Super Young Team. But I think he's done a particularly good job of pacing out the various New Gods across the story.

Do the other minis count in this thread, like Legion of Three Worlds?

I just read the last ish of Superman Beyond, and...my god. This is Morrison at his best. I had to read it twice to even come close to wrapping my mind around it. This is exactly what Morrison is known for, and I freaking love it. It's like being on acid but with none of the side effects.

Oh, and of course, he makes you realize why Superman is so important. Somebody needs to give this guy a monthly Superman title already. Between this and All-Star Superman, I can't get enough when Morrison gets his hands on Supes.

I just read the last ish of Superman Beyond, and...my god. This is Morrison at his best. I had to read it twice to even come close to wrapping my mind around it. This is exactly what Morrison is known for, and I freaking love it. It's like being on acid but with none of the side effects.

Oh, and of course, he makes you realize why Superman is so important. Somebody needs to give this guy a monthly Superman title already. Between this and All-Star Superman, I can't get enough when Morrison gets his hands on Supes.

I really thought issue 1 was bizarre, not necessarily bad but....yeah a lot of what morrison writes seems drug induced/influenced. Not that's not true: Everything he writes seems drug induced/influenced.

I really thought issue 1 was bizarre, not necessarily bad but....yeah a lot of what morrison writes seems drug induced/influenced. Not that's not true: Everything he writes seems drug induced/influenced.

I could have sworn he gave a statement saying he gets his ideas from tripping off "shrooms."

Superman Beyond 1 was pretty awful, I thought. It made no sense at all. I am not looking forward to reading 2, honestly.

And I ate mushrooms once and certainly didn't get any good ideas from it.

Latest posts

Back