Greg Lantern the Movie

Re: Green Lantern-the Movie

CBR:

Latino Review has some debunking to do in regards to that David Boreanaz casting rumor, along with a script review. "The script is out to a few name actors and David ISN'T NOT ONE OF THEM," their El Mayimbe wrote. "For starters, Hal Jordan is 27 in the script and David is pushing 40."

Last edited:

David Boreanaz has as much of a draw as Robert Downey Jr. when you think about it and he was in a movie with a hero that likely very few average filmgoers had heard about before.

You're not serious with that, are you? Boreanaz is nowhere near as big a star as Downey, and the studios know that. To say they're even in the same ballpark in terms of recognizability, bank-ability, and talent is ludicrous...they're worlds apart on all those levels. Downey is a much bigger and more bankable star (even before Iron Man) than Boreanaz will ever be. Buffy, Angel, and Bones are all successful television shows, but next to Downey's many commercially and critically successful movie roles, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

I'm not saying Downey Jr is a better choice to play Green Lantern than Boreanaz is, I'm merely stating that comparing the two is completely unfair to Boreanaz and Downey for different reasons.

Last edited:

You're not serious with that, are you? Boreanaz is nowhere near as big a star as Downey, and the studios know that. To say they're even in the same ballpark in terms of recognizability, bank-ability, and talent is ludicrous...they're worlds apart on all those levels. Downey is a much bigger and more bankable star (even before Iron Man) than Boreanaz will ever be. Buffy, Angel, and Bones are all successful television shows, but next to Downey's many commercially and critically successful movie roles, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

I'm not saying Downey Jr is a better choice to play Green Lantern than Boreanaz is, I'm merely stating that comparing the two is completely unfair to Boreanaz and Downey for different reasons.

I would say in terms of the demographic Iron Man was trying to appeal to (the action-TransFormers-Generation Y-The Hills crowd) Downey Jr. was as well known to them as David Boreanaz if not less so. I really doubt your average 16-year old filmgoer has seen Downey's multitude of apparently successful drama or thriller films.

Personally, I've only ever seen him in Ally McBeal and Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bang and before that, I only ever knew him because of his various addictions. I can certainly think of a handful of people of average filmgoers to whom Iron Man was aimed at, that had never heard of Downey Jr. before the movie came out. This same crowd would be instantly familiar with Buffy and Angel, in my opinion and thus Boreanaz would be as much of a draw to that particular demographic as Downey Jr. was.

I would say in terms of the demographic Iron Man was trying to appeal to (the action-TransFormers-Generation Y-The Hills crowd) Downey Jr. was as well known to them as David Boreanaz if not less so. I really doubt your average 16-year old filmgoer has seen Downey's multitude of apparently successful drama or thriller films.

You're assuming all comic fans have watched Buffy or Angel then? The studios won't cater only to the comic, Buffy/Angel fans who do know who Boreanaz is.

Personally, I've only ever seen him in Ally McBeal and Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bang and before that, I only ever knew him because of his various addictions. I can certainly think of a handful of people of average filmgoers to whom Iron Man was aimed at, that had never heard of Downey Jr. before the movie came out. This same crowd would be instantly familiar with Buffy and Angel, in my opinion and thus Boreanaz would be as much of a draw to that particular demographic as Downey Jr. was.

But that particular demographic alone can't sustain a movie's success. Hence the need to draw in people who might otherwise not be interested in a super-hero movie by attaching a "big name" star in the lead role. I agree that "crowd" knows who Boreanaz is, but I seriously doubt the studios who make the movies would be willing to gamble on Boreanaz, whereas its proven they will gamble (not much of a gamble, really) on Downey.

In the end, Downey is a bigger name and liklier to draw in movie-goers than Boreanaz is, no matter what each has done in the past, and no matter how many comic or Buffy/Angel fans know who he is. Ask your average American who Downey is, I bet most would know. Ask them who Boreanaz is and a small minority might know. That was my point. Recognizability of actors goes a long way to box-office draws, and when it comes down to it, thats the bottom line.

Last edited:

David Boreanaz is a TV actor. Robert Downey Jr. is a film actor.

You might not think there's a big difference, but there is. And when it comes to talent, there's really just no comparison between the two actors. Downey blows Boreanaz away.

You might not think there's a big difference, but there is. And when it comes to talent, there's really just no comparison between the two actors. Downey blows Boreanaz away.

Absolutely.

I think there's a better choice out there. Let's see if they make it.

Thank you. Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

You're way better at expressing thoughts through words than I am. I'm used to expressing my thoughts mostly through punching and urinating on things...sort of like a silverback gorilla.

So thank you for summarizing my thoughts in a concise and coherent manner.

:)

Thank you. Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

You're way better at expressing thoughts through words than I am. I'm used to expressing my thoughts mostly through punching and urinating on things...sort of like a silverback gorilla.

So thank you for summarizing my thoughts in a concise and coherent manner.

:)

In other words, you're Koko, and I'm All Ball.

I still like Josh Duhamel in the role.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I didn't know who that was until I wiki'ed it and saw the photo. You want Leo from All My Children to play Green Lantern! My mom used to watch that show regularly. You'll get that demographic at least. Maybe he could make the transition to film. He is so dreamy.

Last edited:

In other words, you're Koko, and I'm All Ball.

Exactly. But I'm a better artist than that ***** Koko. Only marginally, though. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I didn't know who that was until I wiki'ed it and saw the photo. You want Leo from All My Children to play Green Lantern! My mom used to watch that show regularly. You'll get that demographic at least. Maybe he could make the transition to film. He is so dreamy.

Ouch.

Referring back to Ledger, I'm pretty sure he used to star on Australian soaps back in the day. Maybe Duhamel will overcome the soap/tv star curse...no, no he probably won't. You're right, its hilarious.

Brad Pitt and Julianne Moore had their start in soaps as well. Julianne Moore even played her own evil twin.

Exactly. But I'm a better artist than that ***** Koko. Only marginally, though. ;)

I'll believe it when I see it.

DIrishB said:
Referring back to Ledger, I'm pretty sure he used to star on Australian soaps back in the day. Maybe Duhamel will overcome the soap/tv star curse...no, no he probably won't. You're right, its hilarious.

Tons of film actors got their start in soap operas. I mean, you have to get your start somewhere. It's like the farm leagues.

Brad Pitt and Julianne Moore had their start in soaps as well. Julianne Moore even played her own evil twin.

Thats a Milf fire-crotch sandwich I'd love to be the meat in.

Damn right.

Source:FirstShowing.net
September 29, 2008

FirstShowing.net caught up with producer Donald De Line, who says the Greg Berlanti-directed Green Lantern is nearing principal photography:

Earlier today I caught up briefly with producer Donald De Line, who is developing the Green Lantern film, and asked him for an update. He told me that "a new draft of the script came in" and they're "gearing up to start shooting early spring." While it's not confirmed, he added that "it's coming together and I'm excited about it. Hopefully we'll make it to start gate. We're really close - really close."
Sweet, it's about time we get some other DC heroes on the big screen, though I was kind of hoping Flash would be next

Sweet, it's about time we get some other DC heroes on the big screen, though I was kind of hoping Flash would be next

It's a toss up for me and I'd say it was for the movie execs as well. Both heroes have many different incarnations and a movie based on either will naturally offend hardcore fans who wanted the other incarnation. Both are relatively unknown and those who do know of them, probably know of them because of the Justice League.

I'd say when it all came down to it, GL was chosen because he has arguably the most interesting superpower in mainstream comics. I'm not saying the creative ways the Flash uses his one superpower isn't interesting (and even genius, at times), but GL's power is captivating and even thought-provoking. Personally, I think this will draw audiences.

Bottom line is, I can't wait for this movie to get made and I hope justice is done to it.

Last edited:

I'd say when it all came down to it, GL was chosen because he has arguably the most interesting superpower in mainstream comics. I'm not saying the creative ways the Flash uses his one superpower isn't interesting (and even genius, at times), but GL's power is captivating and even thought-provoking. Personally, I think this will draw audiences.

That's a good point, I thought the off world aspect may feel odd, I kinda want more of a whole secret identity crime fighting deal. But it is a much better choice for a wider audience

Latest posts

Back