Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man?

• Total voters
On sale 9/30/08

ironman2dvdnew2.jpg

It's not always JUST about money.

I mean the piece says it one of the reasons, but it's also entirely possible that Marvel took a much longer time to hammer out the talent contracts or the location dates and other logistic matters than they should have, leaving Howard too tied up to commit once they finally did.

The same thing happened to Bryan Singer and the third X-Men film (though in this case, it was Fox, not Marvel Studios/Paramount) as the deal-making process took so long that by the time they started making real progress towards a commitment, Warner had already lured him away with Superman.

Last edited:
Actually it wasn't anything on Howard's part, it seems Marvel may become one of the douchebag studios

Source:NPR, CHUD
October 18, 2008

"It was the surprise of a lifetime," he said. "There was no explanation. [The contract] just...up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

Terrance Howard leaving could of easily have been handled.

All they needed to do was have Robert Downey Jr. play his character from Topic Thunder.

Last edited:
Based on the Howard interview about the handshake agreements and the like, I get the feeling it had more to do with Marvel acting like Fox basically.

If you think about it, Iron Man is their most successful outing since they became their own studio and everything else is taking forever to get down the development pipes.

Can't blame them, since they are for all intents and purposes, a 'fledgling studio' learning its way based entirely on experiences with earlier deals.

Howard was the PERFECT Rhodey. I mean, if Robert Downey JR. *is* Tony Stark, then Terence Howard *is* Jim Rhodes. And he was on casting calls and dream casts long before he was hired to play Rhodey in the Iron Man film. They should have just given him what he wanted. Nothing personal against Don Cheadle, but yeah....him and Howard are too different....

Can't blame them, since they are for all intents and purposes, a 'fledgling studio' learning its way based entirely on experiences with earlier deals.
When you put it like that than I don't see it as a dick move
Howard was the PERFECT Rhodey. I mean, if Robert Downey JR. *is* Tony Stark, then Terence Howard *is* Jim Rhodes. And he was on casting calls and dream casts long before he was hired to play Rhodey in the Iron Man film. They should have just given him what he wanted. Nothing personal against Don Cheadle, but yeah....him and Howard are too different....

Again, it was completely Marvel's call, Howard wanted to do a sequel but was dropped. He didn't demand anything they just dropped him. Read 4 posts up

I'm torn about this. I'll miss Howard but i the same time i thinkDon Cheadle is an excellent actor and wouldn't mind seeing him as Rhodes.

Hate this. Hate it. Ruins the wonderful series-momentum the first film did unprecedentally well. "Next time, baby"... one of the most talked-about lines from the film.... is now meaningless. I cannot see how this move will cost less and save more trouble in the short or long run, fledgling studio or not.

I don't like this, but it's rediculous to say that Howard was even among the five best things about the first film. In most scenes I couldn't tell whether they were best friends or business associates. If they recast RDjr or even Gwenyth Paltrow, I'd be pissed off. This is upsetting and obnoxious, but honestly, I bet Cheadle will play off of RDjr better than Howard.

This in no way affects my intense desire to see the next movie.

Last edited:
I don't like this, but it's rediculous to say that Howard was even among the five best things about the first film. In most scenes I couldn't tell whether they were best friends or business associates. If they recast RDjr or even Gwenyth Paltrow, I'd be pissed off. This is upsetting and obnoxious, but honestly, I bet Cheadle will play off of RDjr better than Howard.

This in no way affects my intense desire to see the next movie.

I agree.

It affects me in that I see a movie like this as an oasis of sanity in the often quite insane business of superhero movies or movies in general. It's a good old-fashioned thing they just simply, flat-out got right. Complicating it with crap like this ruins that air. Plus, like I said, I really enjoyed the promises the first movie made and the momentum they gave the film as part of a series. Now they're breaking one of the biggest ones, for seemingly no reason, right out of the stable. ???

It wasn't broken, they don't need to fix it, let alone try and cram a completely different gear in there.

Latest posts

Back